Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

An interesting discovery... Hobbyists who registered

Reaction score
An interesting discovery... Hobbyists who registered when the FAA first introduced registration had there $5 waived. That ran from November 2015 to January 2016. The registrations were to be valid for 3 years - thus January 2019 was set to be the first time for the $5 payment.

With that said, the Taylor case threw out the registration requirement in May 2017 and Congress reinstated it with the President signing it law on December 2017. So, as it turns out now, those who thought their hobbyist registration was set to expire are now finding a new expiration date - December 12th, 2020 - three years to the day from the signing of the Defense Act reinstating the registration requirement.

Reactions: BrokenSausage
An interesting discovery... Hobbyists who registered when the FAA first introduced registration had there $5 waived. That ran from November 2015 to January 2016. The registrations were to be valid for 3 years - thus January 2019 was set to be the first time for the $5 payment.

With that said, the Taylor case threw out the registration requirement in May 2017 and Congress reinstated it with the President signing it law on December 2017. So, as it turns out now, those who thought their hobbyist registration was set to expire are now finding a new expiration date - December 12th, 2020 - three years to the day from the signing of the Defense Act reinstating the registration requirement.

Good for them, bad for me. I registered after the 2017 Defense Act. It’s only $5 and covers an unlimited number of hobbyist aircraft. Curious what the new testing for the hobbyist will bring in the near future.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
And no $5 fee. I had the same experience. Government logic?

Probably a programming error by the lowest bid contractor from another country. :p

Interesting the way that worked. As one that took advantage of the refunded registration fee there was the initial 3 year registration term. Changing to commercial registration for a couple aircraft soon thereafter, and later removing them from commercial registration, altered my original recreational registration period, reducing it to 2 years, expiring in December 2018. After being provided notice of expiring recreational registration I had to re-register a couple weeks ago. As mentioned by others there was no fee for doing so.

When FAA registration was initially reversed, some people requested their $5 dollars back and to have their name removed from the records. If you did that, you will have to reregister. If you didn't, you can go to the FAA registration web site, look up your account, and print a new card with the new 2020 expiration date on it.

So once again in all seriousness what benefit is it for the gov't, fliers or joe public to have this registration? The bad apples don't register and fly over airports, over the public, 5 miles away from the controller, see how high they can fly etcetera and the only ones that will suffer are the ones that registered.

This seems to be another example of the logic that if law breakers ignore laws why have them. A bit like saying since people still drive DUI why have DUI laws.

Laws have 3 main purposes:

1) Define what is legal/illegal
2) Define the punishment for violating the law.
3) Deterrence (which is a distant 3rd).

So despite people violating them, if they are caught they can be charged/cited.

This seems to be another example of the logic that if law breakers ignore laws why have them. A bit like saying since people still drive DUI why have DUI laws.

Laws have many more main purposes than the 3 you mentioned. They are both descriptive and prescriptive. They typically start with good intentions and blossom into money generating entities. Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Power doesn't always corrupt. Power can cleanse. What I believe is always true about power is that power always reveals.

Once we begin accepting them without question is to give up our freedoms and hand control over to an organization(s) that will become corrupt because there is no law to hold them accountable. Please don't begin to believe that the American political establishment is anything but a corrupt puppet of oligarchy.

You evidently accept them arbitrarily without realizing the impact that will come from giving up those freedoms. Behind every corrupt politician are 10-20 corrupt businessmen.

Power tends to corrupt. But the power in Washington resides in Congress, if it wants to use it. It can do anything - it can make its will felt, if it can ever get its act together to do anything.

Unfortunately you only see the laws from a narrow view. If we as a group of fliers were able to create our own laws and have the gov't enforce those laws I'd be much more likely to think it's not coming from a group of corrupt idealistic corrupt elitists. The gov't has no concern for us responsible fliers. It's present day existence relies on fees and control through laws to sustain itself and a blind obedience to those laws.

Reactions: record.play.rewind

If one is flying blind in a restricted area didn't report to airport prior to flight is probably going to get you in trouble. the registration keeps people honest and accountable crashin or landing hard onto flesh or property not your own is a good way to get sued privately. I've accepted registering my fire arm never imagined my toys. FYI carry insurance. its a small price to pay for our pastime...

If one is flying blind in a restricted area didn't report to airport prior to flight is probably going to get you in trouble. the registration keeps people honest and accountable crashin or landing hard onto flesh or property not your own is a good way to get sued privately. I've accepted registering my fire arm never imagined my toys. FYI carry insurance. its a small price to pay for our pastime...
I get your angle and Phaedrus but the gov't knowing who's got guns and drones to me is absurd. I'm not going to fly my drone into the busy airport glide paths and I'm not going to take my pistol, rifle or shotgun to school and go kid hunting. The guys shooting kids and flying their drones into airplanes on purpose aren't going to register.

It's a false logic that stricter gun laws and stricter drone laws are going to stop anything! The vast majority of US citizens want the wall and enforcement of immigration regs not more border and immigration laws. Stop the bad people, educate the naive and stop punishing the educated responsible ones.

I get your angle and Phaedrus
It's a false logic that stricter gun laws and stricter drone laws are going to stop anything! The vast majority of US citizens want the wall and enforcement of immigration regs not more border and immigration laws. Stop the bad people, educate the naive and stop punishing the educated responsible ones.

Better stop while you’re ahead. Your last used infallible reasoning and made total sense.

For me, while I think many (most) drone rules make little sense, it is still what I need to comply with in order to operate legally. Which I prefer to do. So comply or not, each of us has the choice. Arguing about if it makes sense, makes no sense. It is not going to change the fact that registration is required. Not saying you have to like it, but in the scheme of things registration is the smallest of issues I am concerned about.

Reactions: thoneter
For me, while I think many (most) drone rules make little sense, it is still what I need to comply with in order to operate legally. Which I prefer to do. So comply or not, each of us has the choice. Arguing about if it makes sense, makes no sense. It is not going to change the fact that registration is required. Not saying you have to like it, but in the scheme of things registration is the smallest of issues I am concerned about.
I agree but we the people need to hold the govt elite accountabe

Reactions: PatR
FWIW, ALL aircraft, regardless of size pay $5 to register. This is the tiniest little thing that we need to hold the gubbermint accountable for. And who exactly are the government elites you think are profiting from this clearly exorbitant fee?

FWIW, ALL aircraft, regardless of size pay $5 to register. This is the tiniest little thing that we need to hold the gubbermint accountable for. And who exactly are the government elites you think are profiting from this clearly exorbitant fee?
DC

We'll be paying taxes for the air above our homes. California is charging for businesses that store water or making it illegal.
We pay taxes for
#1 Air Transportation Taxes (just look at how much you were charged the last time you flew)

#2 Biodiesel Fuel Taxes

#3 Building Permit Taxes

#4 Business Registration Fees

#5 Capital Gains Taxes

#6 Cigarette Taxes

#7 Court Fines (indirect taxes)

#8 Disposal Fees

#9 Dog License Taxes

#10 Drivers License Fees (another form of taxation)

#11 Employer Health Insurance Mandate Tax

#12 Employer Medicare Taxes

#13 Employer Social Security Taxes

#14 Environmental Fees

#15 Estate Taxes

#16 Excise Taxes On Comprehensive Health Insurance Plans

#17 Federal Corporate Taxes

#18 Federal Income Taxes

#19 Federal Unemployment Taxes

#20 Fishing License Taxes

#21 Flush Taxes (yes, this actually exists in some areas)

#22 Food And Beverage License Fees

#23 Franchise Business Taxes

#24 Garbage Taxes

#25 Gasoline Taxes

#26 Gift Taxes

#27 Gun Ownership Permits

#28 Hazardous Material Disposal Fees

#29 Highway Access Fees

#30 Hotel Taxes (these are becoming quite large in some areas)

#31 Hunting License Taxes

#32 Import Taxes

#33 Individual Health Insurance Mandate Taxes

#34 Inheritance Taxes

#35 Insect Control Hazardous Materials Licenses

#36 Inspection Fees

#37 Insurance Premium Taxes

#38 Interstate User Diesel Fuel Taxes

#39 Inventory Taxes

#40 IRA Early Withdrawal Taxes

#41 IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)

#42 IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

#43 Library Taxes

#44 License Plate Fees

#45 Liquor Taxes

#46 Local Corporate Taxes

#47 Local Income Taxes

#48 Local School Taxes

#49 Local Unemployment Taxes

#50 Luxury Taxes

#51 Marriage License Taxes

#52 Medicare Taxes

#53 Medicare Tax Surcharge On High Earning Americans Under Obamacare

#54 Obamacare Individual Mandate Excise Tax (if you don’t buy “qualifying” health insurance under Obamacare you will have to pay an additional tax)

#55 Obamacare Surtax On Investment Income (a new 3.8% surtax on investment income)

#56 Parking Meters

#57 Passport Fees

#58 Professional Licenses And Fees (another form of taxation)

#59 Property Taxes

#60 Real Estate Taxes

#61 Recreational Vehicle Taxes

#62 Registration Fees For New Businesses

#63 Toll Booth Taxes

#64 Sales Taxes

#65 Self-Employment Taxes

#66 Sewer & Water Taxes

#67 School Taxes

#68 Septic Permit Taxes

#69 Service Charge Taxes

#70 Social Security Taxes

#71 Special Assessments For Road Repairs Or Construction

#72 Sports Stadium Taxes

#73 State Corporate Taxes

#74 State Income Taxes

#75 State Park Entrance Fees

#76 State Unemployment Taxes (SUTA)

#77 Tanning Taxes (a new Obamacare tax on tanning services)

#78 Telephone 911 Service Taxes

#79 Telephone Federal Excise Taxes

#80 Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Taxes

#81 Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Taxes

#82 Telephone State And Local Taxes

#83 Telephone Universal Access Taxes

#84 The Alternative Minimum Tax

#85 Tire Recycling Fees

#86 Tire Taxes

#87 Tolls (another form of taxation)

#88 Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)

#89 Use Taxes (Out of state purchases, etc.)

#90 Utility Taxes

#91 Vehicle Registration Taxes

#92 Waste Management Taxes

#93 Water Rights Fees

#94 Watercraft Registration & Licensing Fees

#95 Well Permit Fees

#96 Workers Compensation Taxes

#97 Zoning Permit Fees

#98 Drone registration

#99 Death

Last edited:
You appear to be hurt by anyone not conforming to your way of looking at things. For that reason I see no reason to continue discussing issues with you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval