Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

And another blow to Yuneec

Reaction score
And another blow to Yuneec.
DJI has released at the end of March a new app for drones Phantom4: terra

I was introduced to DJI Terra last year in November. I was able to beta test the software, and play the devils advocate. The Terra does not take away from DJI GS Pro. But soon the Terra will replace it. If you are familiar, with DJI GS Pro. Then the Terra should be business as usual.

One thing that Yuneec should really sweat... What if there’s a consumer Hex in the making?

Looks like a promising--- Developing Product. Sounds like it has a ways to go, but as a Version 1 it's out of the gate. As a sub-product, it is a good market move to enter... the map avenue is gaining momentum.

I was a bit disappointed to read it only supports Phantom platform and not Enterprise / Commercial platforms: M210, I2, M600Pro. It'll probably expand to additional platforms as development moves forward... but doubt they'll offer to other brands in near future, they'll keep it closed branded most likely.

Two versions and the Pro version is projected around $3k per year, just under Pix4D which is their focused competitor. As a closed branded, ver 1, Phantom platform... not a strong competitor to Pix4D or any high end terrain or 3D mapper product. Although their entry into the map & 3D market will get 3rd Party developers attention, add Sony's recent entry into Ag focused map & analysis... the dedicated Map developers may begin to feel the squeeze.

Interesting suggestion on the GS Pro replacement theory... since they're not within the same product category or price structure. GS Pro is essentially going full free.

I've heard rumors on the Consumer level Hex platform... dual or sm quad battery paks to get around plane transportation while retaining long flights. I'm visualizing a scaled down M600Pro but retaining MFT camera and RTK option. Beyond rumors, haven't seen any leaks or valid chatter.

GS Pro paved the way, and SkyCatch opened the doors to new possibilities. We will see new and exciting response from DD and Pix4D. There is a buzz that Litchi is going to revamp as well, but I am not 100% sure, and I don't want to spread rumors.

The Phantom is the flagship for this app, and others are inline to follow. The Terra's greatest advantage is that it can only perform 99 points, and it will be fun to see how DD and Pix4D finds a solution for this. GS Pro. will soon be a free platform. GS Pro now support lenses for the Sony as well as DJI Assistance for Matrice, and with Drones Made Easy's Ninja OBC the Sony camera became a game changer.

The rumor of a HEX will no longer a rumor, when the time comes. Imagine, portability, connectivity, and hot swap that Yuneec H series falls a bit behind on... And I wish that Yuneec will read this, because it is not too late.... CONNECTIVITY right now is Yuneec's achilles heel.

Deep within, I am rooting for the underdog... Why? Because, I tinker more, and talk to my TH Plus... LOL.. In all seriousness, the YN line is not so complicated vs DJI.

If Yuneec was a basket of cats... connectivity is just one of the kittens. I'd like to see Yuneec gain strength in market and ingenuity... but there's more holding Yuneec back than one variable that's dependent on several other variables not optimal for success.

Reactions: RPR
You mean the drone DJI discontinued, that one? Or the over priced RTK??

Are you still living under a rock? Lol jk. One contract can justify the cost of an RTK ship ;-) that is why P4P RTK sells itself. It will be fun to see if the H520 RTK can have a piece of the commercial pie. Call this constructive criticism.

The Terra's greatest advantage is that it can only perform 99 points

When you say the big advantage but then you say only 99 points, isn't that contradictory? Or do I get it wrong?

I have searched and both DronDeply and Pix4D capture support 100 waypoints, what a disappointment I have taken. At this point and with such derisory limitations that I imagine they would be solved "paying more". Very sad, everyone as soon as they see an opportunity to scratch more money quickly joins the trend :(

I remember, many years ago, that this happened in Ardupilot, with the APM controller and it was because of power problems, because it had no capacity. Shortly after with the Pixhawk was corrected and more than 700 possible waypoints ???

Reactions: Dougcjohn
When you say the big advantage but then you say only 99 points, isn't that contradictory? Or do I get it wrong?

I have searched and both DronDeply and Pix4D capture support 100 waypoints, what a disappointment I have taken. At this point and with such derisory limitations that I imagine they would be solved "paying more". Very sad, everyone as soon as they see an opportunity to scratch more money quickly joins the trend :(

I remember, many years ago, that this happened in Ardupilot, with the APM controller and it was because of power problems, because it had no capacity. Shortly after with the Pixhawk was corrected and more than 700 possible waypoints [emoji10][emoji10][emoji10]

Typo “Disadvantage”

Reactions: Dougcjohn

This is where the support of an accurate tool (RTK) comes into play. 4 to 8 GCPs for maps up to 50 acres. For maps over 50 acres, adding at least 1 checkpoint for every additional 10 acres. GCPs are evenly distributed across the entire map area, making sure that the GCPs are at least 50 ft from the boundary of the map (within the virtual fence) This method solves the equation of mapping on a large scale more efficiently. With the right alt. defined flight pattern, overlaps, 18 acres = 66 images = 8 minute flight. I’ve had sleepless nights, trying to solve this problem, because I’m currently mapping a 452 acre land for a future development.

You can also Capture at Equal Dist. Interval & Capture at Equal Time Interval – These modes are quicker than the Hover & Capture at a Point as fewer waypoints are required. The capture interval and flight speed are automatically calculated. Missions will be shorter due to short exposure times. BUT!!! Fly on a fair weather day, because you will be grounded for a while, fixing the mesh in “mesh lab” due to missing clips.... UGH! The pain.

BTW... I tailor my maps, according to my client’s need, I use a POI app to create my points, and I would love to fly beyond the point limitation of these apps. But there are more ways to skin a cat, when it comes to photogrammetry.

My processing method takes a bit of time, I create my maps manually. Average mappers fail to understand “exclusivity” specially when working or trying to lure bigger clients.

For that I have to assemble, for a long time I have bought the parts and I am ashamed to say how much, a fixed wing, a VTOL to be able to fly with it in any situation. A fixed wing with 1 hour of autonomy, that came out in the calculations, gives me to cover a lot of area.

To cover a lot of area with the multirotor, split the missions in smaller ones, leave the GCP's of the edges that have adjacent another mission in the same place and superimpose the mission of next to that zone of GCP's common. In this way, multiple missions can be stitched together seamlessly (processed independently as well) and then the final results put together into one big final project. I use Pix4D and it allows me to do it without any problem, even if the preparation time is a little longer, you gain time by processing the smaller missions independently.

The big problem that I have, is the data capture of the GCP, I do not have total station and that limits me enough, always depending on the client. For that reason, for the new multirrotor that I am mounting, I have prepared to mount a RTK system, I have it in a box waiting for me. This will allow me, with only one GCP, the one that defines the RTK base station, to be able to cover the rest of the ground without the need of more GCP's. This also applies perfectly to the fixed wing. With only one GCP measured with total station and the RTK system, no more is needed. A lot of work and tests still ahead ?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Despite all the DJI hoopla with widgets, you still have to fly one of their birds to use them. After a week of flying Mavic Pros, the new Mavic with the super duper Hassleblad camera, a pair of P3 Pros, and an Inspire I have no problems at all trading all of them and their widgets for a platform that can fly well, something theirs just don’t.

Reactions: Haydn
I was introduced to DJI Terra last year in November. I was able to beta test the software, and play the devils advocate. The Terra does not take away from DJI GS Pro. But soon the Terra will replace it. If you are familiar, with DJI GS Pro. Then the Terra should be business as usual.

One thing that Yuneec should really sweat... What if there’s a consumer Hex in the making?
Agreed...I could understand this headline if it was followed up by "DJI introduces a 6-rotor/hex drone..." but this is just another piece of software. The headline is a bit overdramatic?

Despite all the DJI hoopla with widgets, you still have to fly one of their birds to use them. After a week of flying Mavic Pros, the new Mavic with the super duper Hassleblad camera, a pair of P3 Pros, and an Inspire I have no problems at all trading all of them and their widgets for a platform that can fly well, something theirs just don’t.
??:mad:... ;).
You need to go back to retirement, you’re not grumpy enough anymore... lacks the descriptive grumpy nomenclature.
:rolleyes: That was almost ... nice?

Who the heck has P3, I1 & MP in there shop... did you have to wipe the dust off the birds?

Agreed...I could understand this headline if it was followed up by "DJI introduces a 6-rotor/hex drone..." but this is just another piece of software. The headline is a bit overdramatic?

Like all intros that DJI do, it leads to something. Overdramatic? Call it hype.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech