Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another flight, another crash. What the heck is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm starting a new thread for this, if it needs to be merged I understand, but Im needing advice and a lot of people wont revisit a thread to see that it happened again.

So this time I was as careful as anyone could be. I let it sit, gathered 13 satellites before I even considered starting the props. I lifted off, in rabbit mode, went straight up to around 20 feet, went as high as 70 feet, came back down, flew around a little, things looked good. I watched my voltage like a hawk. Towards the end it was at 15.1 volts.

Here's where it went bad. I had the nerve to switch it to smart mode. Just to test, see, whatever, it's there, people use it, certainly I should be able to switch to smart mode if only for a minute to see what happens. As soon as I switched to smart mode it started moving forward on its own, without responding to the sticks. So I switched it back, still not responding to the sticks, the only thing I could get it to do was come down in altitude, it was at this point I made a note of everything I could. The main LED was blinking green and white, alternating between the two, the battery read 15.1 volts. Once it touched down it bounced a few times and face-planted. Then it showed 2 alerts, gps lost, 5 motor mode. I took a screenshot. Destroyed 2 more props.

-I calibrated the compass successfully in the middle of a field last night
-I calibrated the accelerometer successfully after the compass on a level surface.
-This flight took place in the same field, no metal structures, no antennas, etc.
-All firmware is the latest version
-Remote sticks tested before flight with hardware monitor, remote at 100% charge at beginning of flight.

If I can answer any other questions that might help narrow this down, please let me know, I'll happily answer. Also, if anyone knows how to read the flight data and would like to see it, again let me know. Any helpful input is appreciated.

I don't want to wreck it a third time, maybe it's time to ship it off to Yuneec.

I didn't search for the original thread so I don't have a clear understanding of what's happened before. I n Smart mode the H will try to maintain a minimum distance from the ST16 and anything directly in front of it. I don't know what the green and white blinking indicates. I discovered today that unless the H is pretty level when landed the motors will not shut down without holding the red button. (I didn't want to land on a road and the shoulder was banked.) There are people here who are very proficient at analyzing the flight data so it would be a good idea to submit it.
I don't feel comfortable making suggestions with having as little knowledge as I do but it seems like a good idea to make sure that Smart mode is not detecting any obstacles prior to switching to Angle Mode. By the way, it's cow burps that are causing the problem. That is if you believe the fake news you see in Scientific American.

Reactions: Fieldman
I didn't search for the original thread so I don't have a clear understanding of what's happened before. I n Smart mode the H will try to maintain a minimum distance from the ST16 and anything directly in front of it. I don't know what the green and white blinking indicates. I discovered today that unless the H is pretty level when landed the motors will not shut down without holding the red button. (I didn't want to land on a road and the shoulder was banked.) There are people here who are very proficient at analyzing the flight data so it would be a good idea to submit it.
I don't feel comfortable making suggestions with having as little knowledge as I do but it seems like a good idea to make sure that Smart mode is not detecting any obstacles prior to switching to Angle Mode. By the way, it's cow burps that are causing the problem. That is if you believe the fake news you see in Scientific American.
It was probably 20 to 30 feet in the air when I switched to smart mode. There was nothing in front of it. The closest object was a tree probably 30 or 40 feet away and to the right/ rear of the aircraft (its 4 oclock position).

if anyone knows how to read the flight data and would like to see it, again let me know.
Do you know how to retrieve the telemetry? If not we can help you. I would like to take a look.

One thing that is often forgotten: In Smart mode the H is also in Follow-me mode by default. So if you move so does the H.

Here's where it went bad. I had the nerve to switch it to smart mode. Just to test, see, whatever, it's there, people use it, certainly I should be able to switch to smart mode if only for a minute to see what happens. As soon as I switched to smart mode it started moving forward on its own, without responding to the sticks. So I switched it back, still not responding to the sticks, the only thing I could get it to do was come down in altitude, it was at this point I made a note of everything I could. The main LED was blinking green and white, alternating between the two, the battery read 15.1 volts. Once it touched down it bounced a few times and face-planted. Then it showed 2 alerts, gps lost, 5 motor mode. I took a screenshot. Destroyed 2 more props.

To start with, let me recommend, again, to stay out of smart mode. It is seldom a good idea, and a couple things in your write-up indicate you have an incomplete idea of what it is.
Easy Thing - White blinking in green means you are in "Smart Mode with greater than 10 satellites available" And if you switched to smart mode with greater than 10 satellites, you were not really in Smart Mode, you were in "Follow Me" mode. (See page 32 of the manual)
You also mentioned seeing the green and white AFTER you thought you had switched back to angle mode. If you reported that correctly, then you did not successfully switch back, leaving some question about what you actually changed at that point.

Yes, please upload the telemetry.

And stay out of smart mode.

Reactions: AH-1G
Dang man.....yep, upload the telemetry files....whiz kids here will give a detailed analysis.

Also, read the manual and understand Smart Mode....the geofencing, controller safety circle, headless mode operation.....maybe with a full understanding of the mode you can correlate where your bird was when you engaged it and why it behaved as it did. Smart Mode has its place and use IF you understand how it works and why. The big deal breaker for me is the headless mode operation. As others say though....just avoid it.

It’s rarely a good idea to just try something and see what happens.....especially if you first tell your buddy, “Hold my beer”.......

Green indicates Smart mode, and green and white indicates enough satellites are present to use Smart mode.

Smart mode employs what’s called a Safe Circle, using the ST-16 to establish the center of the circle. The diameter of the circle is roughly 5 meters. If you are inside of that distance and launch in Angle mode, no problems, but if you change to Smart mode when within about 5 meters of the aircraft, the aircraft will move away from you to achieve a safe separation between you and the aircraft of at least 5 meters. You cannot remain in Smart mode and override the aircraft’s movement using the controls until it has moved outside of the Safe Circle. You can switch back to Angle mode and assume control but in Smart mode it will always, always move away until it clears a ~5 meter separation. The direction it moves is whatever the aircraft senses to be the shortest route. That stuff is loosely in the manufacturer instructions and better defined in the instructions prepared by users and found on this site.

Earlier you mentioned it would drift during the first flight 3’ or more. That drift is indicative of a system that has not yet obtained enough GPS position data for good resolution. Again, this is referenced in this site’s user manual and has been mentioned many times since that manual was created.

As you don’t know the light codes, don’t understand Smart mode and the Smart Circle, and didn’t land when it was evident it could not hold a relatively stable position it’s evident you have not read the manual. Either of them. I’ll suggest you stop flying and start reading unless you want to experience more of what you have thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy and DCH
Do you know how to retrieve the telemetry? If not we can help you. I would like to take a look.

One thing that is often forgotten: In Smart mode the H is also in Follow-me mode by default. So if you move so does the H.
I don't know how to retrieve the flight data, if you could help me with that I'd be happy to do it.

As you don’t know the light codes, don’t understand Smart mode and the Smart Circle, and didn’t land when it was evident it could not hold a relatively stable position it’s evident you have not read the manual. Either of them. I’ll suggest you stop flying and start reading unless you want to experience more of what you have thus far.
This is an assumption on your part, and an incorrect one at that.

@Steve Carr would be better at this, but he is not on the Forum right now.

Try the instructions in this link to get the telemetry out on an SD card:
How To: Access Telemetry Data on ST16
Once you have the data on a card, put it in your computer, and zip the ENTIRE directory into a single zip file. Then attach the zip file to a post.

I don't think this is the best way, but I could not find some other instructions that I think are stored on the Forum somewhere.

Then just keep doing what you’re doing to obtain the same results.

I’m not one to pat people on the back after they make repeated mistakes, instead I try to lead them to ways they can obtain better results. I’ll try it again by suggesting you stop thinking your “experience” with other quads is going to carry you through to succeed with the H. Stop flying and start reading. Ask which videos provide accurate information. Verify the firmware installations and binding processes. Perhaps then you’ll stop making H newbie mistakes.

Of course there’s always the usual option of blaming the drone.

As I stated before, I'm looking for helpful advice, not criticism, blaming, finger pointing etc. I feel plenty bad enough about what's going on without people piling it on. If you don't have anything helpful to say, then, well you're not helping.

I resent the assumptions that I've just gone out like an ignorant kid and thrown caution to the wind and wrecked my drone because of that. That isn't what's happened at all, I'm probably one of the most conservative careful fliers around. I've NEVER wrecked a drone before this. Ever. The worst that's ever happened to me was an engine kill on a BB2 due to landing in grass too tall.

As far as using smart mode, I'm well aware of the safe circle while in smart mode, as well as always being in follow me while in smart mode. When I switched to smart mode I was at least 20 feet in the air and at least 30 feet horizontal from my position. Nobody asked that, instead some just assume the worst and criticized. I've spent most of 4 days reading through the manual (regarding another assumption I resent). The green/white alternating LED indication seems to be missing, at least on my chart, which is why I mentioned it the way I did.

Regardless of the amount of time I've owned the drone, correct me if I'm wrong, but when I switched back to angle mode I should have been able to regain control at that point. I did not, it started behaving the same way it did the first time I had issues. What I'm attempting to solve is why that happened, why was I only able to go down in altitude, why did it again bounce and resist touching down instead of settling and allowing a safe landing?

To you guys helping out, thanks, your advice is more valuable to me than you know. To you guys who don't sound interested in doing anything but criticizing, thanks. You're not being helpful at all, but thanks.

@Steve Carr would be better at this, but he is not on the Forum right now.

Try the instructions in this link to get the telemetry out on an SD card:
How To: Access Telemetry Data on ST16
Once you have the data on a card, put it in your computer, and zip the ENTIRE directory into a single zip file. Then attach the zip file to a post.

I don't think this is the best way, but I could not find some other instructions that I think are stored on the Forum somewhere.
Thanks

I copied down Steve’s instructions last time he posted:

Retrieving flight data from the ST-16.

Insert an SD card in the ST-16.

Power up and enter Pad mode and tap OK.

Enter menu by pressing circle with six dots.

Select File Manager and scroll to the FlightLog folder, then tap arrow at the right of FlightLog folder.

Now select Compress and add the date to the file name suggested.

Scroll to bottom and find the zip file you just created, tap the arrow at the right and select Copy.

At top left tap the icon that looks like two SD cards to swap to the SD card inserted in the first step.

You will then see the file structure on the SD card, select Paste at the bottom to add the file you just copied.

Now press the ‘Back arrow’ at bottom right of the screen to exit File Manager and select Settings.

Tap on Storage, scroll down to SD CARD and select Unmount. Press the Home icon and power off the ST-16.

Remove the SD card and use your PC to upload the zip file here by using the Attach files button below the Reply box.

I'm starting a new thread for this, if it needs to be merged I understand, but Im needing advice and a lot of people wont revisit a thread to see that it happened again.

So this time I was as careful as anyone could be. I let it sit, gathered 13 satellites before I even considered starting the props. I lifted off, in rabbit mode, went straight up to around 20 feet, went as high as 70 feet, came back down, flew around a little, things looked good. I watched my voltage like a hawk. Towards the end it was at 15.1 volts.

-I calibrated the compass successfully in the middle of a field last night
-I calibrated the accelerometer successfully after the compass on a level surface.
-This flight took place in the same field, no metal structures, no antennas, etc.
-All firmware is the latest version
-Remote sticks tested before flight with hardware monitor, remote at 100% charge at beginning of flight.

If I can answer any other questions that might help narrow this down, please let me know, I'll happily answer. Also, if anyone knows how to read the flight data and would like to see it, again let me know. Any helpful input is appreciated.

I don't want to wreck it a third time, maybe it's time to ship it off to Yuneec.
Apollo, one simple question: Did you sit for minimum 12,5min to get the GPS almananc 100% updated?? For me 13sats seems to be low...

Reactions: SkyVidTek
No need to fiddle around with SD card to download FlightLogs.
1) Power on ST16 and wait until it is fully booted up.
2) Connect Micro-USB cable ST16 to PC. Wait a little bit.
3) A new device will appear in file manager that gives you access to ST16 internal memory (FlightLogs, FPV videos, screenshots, CCC files and many more. It's the same procedure as for any other Android device (phone etc.).
Download_FlightLog.png
4) Copy the whole directory "FlightLog" to your PC.
5) Do with it what ever you want....

br HE

Last edited:
Apollo, one simple question: Did you sit for minimum 12,5min to get the GPS almananc 100% updated?? For me 13sats seems to be low...
I don't think I've ever seen more than 15 sats here where I am, which is what my flight logs say i had yesterday while in the air.

Btw- everyone posting instructions on the flight logs, thanks for the tips, i was able to retrieve that directory with no problems last night, as well as a program to collate and decipher them.

@Apollo11capcom
You can fly with as little as 10, however there are others that will fight tooth and nail against this!
My 82+ hours of flying (4,920 minutes) and no issues. I've flow with as little as 9, but you need to be on your toes!
Don't over engineering your ability to fly at minimums!
Real pilots practice minimums, a "just in case" something develops out of the ordinary. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430