Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another newb w a flyaway and crash.

Reaction score
After 2 weeks, 10 flights and a bunch of great video...she split.

Set out to view a draw bridge from afar, bout 200 yards away I launched from a boat ramp(no boats present, week night). Turned everything on, set my white balance for a bit, popped it up 10 feet in the air to check everything out, was satisfied so I set off and out...didnt take very long to see Id lost control and it kept going, up and over the bridge(with traffic). I flipped the switch to RTH(I may have panicked and switched to smart?), this did nothing for controls and actually sent the q500 now with the flow of traffic and at a much higher rate of speed than Ive seen from this, Id say bout 35mph and coming down like a comet w some heat. Less than 5 minutes of flight, lost video before it flew ovee the bridge.
I spent the next hour and a half searching where Id anticipated it came down, I listened for sirens, I looked for a smashed car, house with a big hole punched into it, and I searched the nature trail full of mangroves for it, all with the powered controller in hand, nothing. At this point I see the toggle in smart mode, at best I bumped it during the search.
I gave up the search and went hime to pull telemetry, the next day I found it in 2 pieces, the camera separate w wires akimbo, in the exact spot googlemaps said it was. Flight video file was corrupt and havent been able to view it.

I contacted Yuneec and Im sending telemetry as soon as I figure how to zip it.
Ive been reading "flyaway" threads since the incident on thursday, but Im still not certain about how to analyze the data myself? I suppose the UAV toolkit wont work the Q? But theres one for the Q, kinda?
I guess Id appreciate some counsel before submitting to Yuneec, please!

Also I ordered spare batteries weeks ago, they wont arrive til the 21st and my battery is triggered, bloated and wont charge(green flashing indicator) for me to even plug it in to gui for diagnostics...so I have no idea where I stand.

BUT I already wanna buy a replacement, and itll come w a battery lol

First and foremost, put that battery outside. It's a ticking firebomb.

You can recover the video by placing it in a working CGO3, but you probably don't have access to one. If you upload the video file to Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive I can try to recover it for you.

To create a zip file:
Select the files or folders you wish to zip.
Right click and select "Send to" Compressed Folder

1554251816421.png

Reactions: ChuckBridges
So sorry for the loss of your Q500. Hopefully the telemetry will prove it to be not your fault and a replacement will be sent your way. I have been flying my Q500 4K since Nov 2016. So far, no problems. It has been a stable camera platform for me. I recently upgraded to the H then added RealSense to it and bought a Wizard. I plan to play and learn more about the platforms. I haven't given up on my Q500 yet. I just fly them both when I go out.

Ive been reading "flyaway" threads since the incident on thursday
The most likely cause is an ESC failure. Those come in two flavors: 1) The Q rolls over and goes straight down. 2) The ESC begins to fail and the motor slows down causing the Q to tilt and travel sideways. The Flight Controller tries to compensate but doing so increases the speed as the aircraft tilts more and loses altitude before hitting the ground.

Compass and GPS faults on the Q500 are extremely rare and are not the likely culprit in this case.

Reactions: ChuckBridges

You can recover the video by placing it in a working CGO3, but you probably don't have access to one. If you upload the video file to Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive I can try to recover it for you.

To create a zip file:

View attachment 15582

Wow! This is one super warm and helpful forum!
Excellent reply, thank you so much.
I will get the file tomorrow evening after work.

Its a moot point...but isnt there dvr video on the controller too?
How can I play this?

I havent been worried about the battery, I get the impression the cells are good, but the failsafe had been triggered.

The most likely cause is an ESC failure. Those come in two flavors: 1) The Q rolls over and goes straight down. 2) The ESC begins to fail and the motor slows down causing the Q to tilt and travel sideways. The Flight Controller tries to compensate but doing so increases the speed as the aircraft tilts more and loses altitude before hitting the ground.

Compass and GPS faults on the Q500 are extremely rare and are not the likely culprit in this case.

I figure an ecs triggered the battery failure....but nothing you describe sounds like this flight.
I sent it up and out, I let go and it carried on that path, it hung a left and went down slowly as it went fast til the crash, apparently a tree broke the fall.
It was like a force/signal pulled it and then slingshotted it away.

Last edited:
Is there a sd card under the battery on the ST10? That is where the flighlogs and any mini-videos will be stored.
You should also check the ST10 sticks in Hardware Monitor to make certain they are responsive and return to exactly zero.

I understood from your description the battery is swollen. If that's true then it's not safe to keep it inside unless it's in a fireproof container. If air reaches the inside of the battery it will burst into a ferocious fire.

If you create the zip file you can upload it here and we can look for any clues that might help.

Reactions: Russell Smith
Yes, it has the sd card. Ive pulled it a couple times already...can I just plug the micro usb in instead? Also, Ive got it boxed up and set aside, I should be asleep now...I will deal w the card tomorrow.
I did check the flight controller in the hardware monitor, was perfect.
I even saw there are video files on the the sd card...how can I view these? These are dvr controller video, right?

Also, I just found this post(while I should be sleeping) and Im pretty sure this is the scenario....but I do think I need to heed your caution still.
Now where do I put it? I live 2nd floor in an apartment...ive got a 4x6 balcony w Florida sun *shrug*

If you have no place to put it use a metal coffee can, a soup pot or the bathtub if it's porcelain. Certainly not if it's plastic. Use another pan to cover it up. My preferred method of disposal is to submerge the battery in a bucket of salt water and leave it overnight (again, outside).

I think you can view the video with MPC-HC or VLC player. They are .avc files.

Yes, you could just connect the ST10 to your pc using the USB charging cables and then access the sd card files.

Reactions: 5prock3t
Boy does this sound all too familiar. Good luck with all that you are doing. I've been there and will probably be back there again.

I have an h now and pretty have abandoned the Q's. I lost two and by a dumb mistake I made and the second a 40 mph wind which came on literally out of the blue sky. AccuWeather lied because the the wind was at least an hour early. I saw on the screen where it lost it's ability to fight against the wind. So they are yet to be found. I know where one is but can't be retrieved because of a canal. I explained this all on a thread but can't remember which one. I bought an h because I figure I can cause more damage that way. I have everything you need as far as many props. Two of everything minus the drone. If you are interested in anything including two st12's, one never used and anything else you can email me at [email protected]. I don't want to go back to classified again so you may contact me directly. Peter Bowman.

After 2 weeks, 10 flights and a bunch of great video...she split.

Set out to view a draw bridge from afar, bout 200 yards away I launched from a boat ramp(no boats present, week night). Turned everything on, set my white balance for a bit, popped it up 10 feet in the air to check everything out, was satisfied so I set off and out...didnt take very long to see Id lost control and it kept going, up and over the bridge(with traffic). I flipped the switch to RTH(I may have panicked and switched to smart?), this did nothing for controls and actually sent the q500 now with the flow of traffic and at a much higher rate of speed than Ive seen from this, Id say bout 35mph and coming down like a comet w some heat. Less than 5 minutes of flight, lost video before it flew ovee the bridge.
I spent the next hour and a half searching where Id anticipated it came down, I listened for sirens, I looked for a smashed car, house with a big hole punched into it, and I searched the nature trail full of mangroves for it, all with the powered controller in hand, nothing. At this point I see the toggle in smart mode, at best I bumped it during the search.
I gave up the search and went hime to pull telemetry, the next day I found it in 2 pieces, the camera separate w wires akimbo, in the exact spot googlemaps said it was. Flight video file was corrupt and havent been able to view it.

I contacted Yuneec and Im sending telemetry as soon as I figure how to zip it.
Ive been reading "flyaway" threads since the incident on thursday, but Im still not certain about how to analyze the data myself? I suppose the UAV toolkit wont work the Q? But theres one for the Q, kinda?
I guess Id appreciate some counsel before submitting to Yuneec, please!

Also I ordered spare batteries weeks ago, they wont arrive til the 21st and my battery is triggered, bloated and wont charge(green flashing indicator) for me to even plug it in to gui for diagnostics...so I have no idea where I stand.

BUT I already wanna buy a replacement, and itll come w a battery lol
If that happened to me I don't think panicked would be strong enough to describe the feeling! I have a couple of questions. I've been suspecting GPS data that is not fully up to date on both units as a possible cause of flyaways. My suspicion is that if both units have not been located in an area without obstruction to gathering the latest GPS data for at least 12 minutes there could be a conflict with the data in each. Is it possible that the GPS data in both the drone and the controller was not fully up to date?

@5prock3t

At what point in the flight did the Q start running amok? Was it as it neared the draw bridge? There is a massive amount of ferrous metal in a bridge if that type, and I have seen another case of similar circumstance (with a Typhoon H) that involved a draw bridge throwing off the compass and the aircraft doing a flyaway similar to yours.

If you zip up the FlightLog folder that is on the SD card and upload it here using the Attach files button we can analyze the telemetry and the control inputs to the ST-10+.

If that happened to me I don't think panicked would be strong enough to describe the feeling! I have a couple of questions. I've been suspecting GPS data that is not fully up to date on both units as a possible cause of flyaways. My suspicion is that if both units have not been located in an area without obstruction to gathering the latest GPS data for at least 12 minutes there could be a conflict with the data in each. Is it possible that the GPS data in both the drone and the controller was not fully up to date?

I had flown several times in that area over the week.
Also, once everything was turned on I began to set my white-balance on the camera...this takes me a lil while as I use a grey card to do this.

Reactions: Steve Carr
@5prock3t

At what point in the flight did the Q start running amok? Was it as it neared the draw bridge? There is a massive amount of ferrous metal in a bridge if that type, and I have seen another case of similar circumstance (with a Typhoon H) that involved a draw bridge throwing off the compass and the aircraft doing a flyaway similar to yours.

If you zip up the FlightLog folder that is on the SD card and upload it here using the Attach files button we can analyze the telemetry and the control inputs to the ST-10+.

I launched from a boat ramp about 200 yards away, I lifted it up 10 feet to check functions and then I went up and out from there, I got about 1/2 way (about where I wanted to be and she just kept going towards the bridge.
My buddy went w me the next day and flew his Mavic allllll around that bridge...I had cautioned him, but he assured me mavic **** dont stink.

If it started this halfway or a hundred yards from the bridge then there was another problem, not compass interference from the bridge (and the TH is a little more prone than the Q).

A look at the FlightLog files will give a better idea of what happened.

To create a zip file:

Okay, so Im home and have the telemetry folder open.
Do you want the entire card zipped or just the files pertaining to my flyaway/crash?
Will Yuneec want it all??

Also my computer didn't recognize my device when I hooked the controller up to it, couldnt even see my card. Im certain I put the card back in properly, but whatever.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots