Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another Problem -Just out of warranty too. I'm done with my H

Reaction score
A week after getting my H back for a faulty Intelsense module I was able to take a nice 1 hour flight at sunset. Today I was going to attempt another one following my surfer buddies. The H went into 5 rotor mode about 10 feet off the ground after take off and stated to fall. I was able to retract the gear partially before she hit the rocks! Saved the camera and surprisingly only snapping one prop.

I have had a 5 rotor mode issue in the past and was able to catch it and avoid further damage. This time it looks like the right rear motor failed and she just started falling. I was so stunned I couldn't react quick enough to attempt a catch. Ironically it was the same motor that snapped a propeller during my troubleshooting a few weeks ago prior to sending it back a second time for warranty repairs. Do you think this was a coincidence or snapping a rotor was a warning? I thought these brushless motors have few documented failures.

I'm going to call Yuneec and see if they will do the warranty work 3 weeks after it expired. If not, it's going to be an out of pocket expense and then I'm selling her. I'm sorry, I have had 4 major issues with my H in a year of ownership - non were my fault and I've just lost confidence in it. I fly over water 80% if the time and losing it to the bottom of the ocean.....uurgh. I may get an H+ someday because I do love the platform. I really can't see myself flying a DJI Phantom after convincing all my friends the H is a better machine. Just gutted having such bad luck with my H.

My flight last Friday before today's crash- So sad.

I’ve had a few of 5 rotor notices but they’ve all been because a prop that was damaged. The H should be able to fly with only 5 rotors.

I've never come across snapped blades, apart from a flight into a tree at full speed. Have you been putting them under particular strain, or could they have had environmental damage (sun, sea or heat)? It's not unknown for snapped or damaged blades to put motors under high strain.

I wouldn't write off your H just yet - spares are much cheaper than replacing the whole drone, so you might as well get your money's worth out of the frame. I'd strongly recommend a new set of blades and to have a few test flights, checking the motors immediately after for heat.

I’ve had a few of 5 rotor notices but they’ve all been because a prop that was damaged. The H should be able to fly with only 5 rotors.[/QUOTE

The first time I broke a prop i was able to get it back to me - barely - she was about 300 feet away @ 100 feet and no wind. She eventually started to wobble and fall the last 15 feet above the ground when I caught her by the landing gear. This second failure she just dropped like a rock.

I've never come across snapped blades, apart from a flight into a tree at full speed. Have you been putting them under particular strain, or could they have had environmental damage (sun, sea or heat)? It's not unknown for snapped or damaged blades to put motors under high strain.

I wouldn't write off your H just yet - spares are much cheaper than replacing the whole drone, so you might as well get your money's worth out of the frame. I'd strongly recommend a new set of blades and to have a few test flights, checking the motors immediately after for heat.

Thanks for the input. I'm just frustrated right now and I know once this problem is fixed I may have a change of heart but, you have to admit, I have had some bad luck. About the only thing I have not experienced is a fly away. I'm still convinced some of those are pilot error. When there is so much liability (crashing and hurting humans/pets and property) involved with a machine, one tends to not trust it anymore. It's possible my H has more flight hours than an average machine. I have flown it all over the world in the year I have owned it, mostly in tropical settings. I'm very anal about maintenance and safety checks. I chuck props even with very minor scuffs. I did fail to mention, the motor made a couple of "snap" noises just after to start up. I quickly turned off the rotors and re connected the props to assure they were properly locked. The noise was like the sound of a prop hitting a tree branch. (no obstacles around)

The only "strain" I put the H thru is when I'm trying to get away from attacking seagulls. Rapid accents, turns and descents usually scare them off but, it's not something that happens often.

Reactions: Tuna
Randy, I really enjoyed your story and video.

Thank you. I meant to send that to Patr privately because he was curious about my screen name. So the video let’s will see that I’m very particular about maintaining my machines. If I can keep a 30 years old BMW running, a drone should be easy right ?

I have little doubt about your ability to repair or maintain a drone. There might be some new things to learn but you seem more than up for the challenge

Reactions: m5zealot
I’am. I did a lot of mods and Work I’m my Q500 which by the way was flawless before I sold it to get the H. I was going to roll my sleeves up and learn more about the H after the warranty expires. Thanks for all the support and letting me vent.

I had a problem with my camera/gimbal when it was just out of warranty. Yuneec replaced it at no charge.

Reactions: m5zealot
M5,

More rhetorical than anything...

You say eighty percent of your flights are over the ocean which means a lot of exposure to sand and grit. Curious if the environmental conditions might be contributing factors into your motor issues, perhaps begging for extra maintenance measures to keep things running smoothly.

Jeff

I had a problem with my camera/gimbal when it was just out of warranty. Yuneec replaced it at no charge.
I

I'm crossing my fingers. I have promoted the H 110% thru my videos on my Youtube page and 60 second spots on my Instagram channel. Hopefully they will give me some wiggles room for this.

M5,

More rhetorical than anything...

You say eighty percent of your flights are over the ocean which means a lot of exposure to sand and grit. Curious if the environmental conditions might be contributing factors into your motor issues, perhaps begging for extra maintenance measures to keep things running smoothly.

Jeff

Hi Jeff! Thanks for your input. I'm pretty anal about flying over water/beach flights. I only take off from grass or pavement and never sand. I also hand catch it 100% of the time. Unlike my old Q500, the only maintenance I can do to the H is wiping off the entire H with a warm damp soft cloth after each flight. I also use compressed air to blow out any debris that may have lodged in the cracks and crevices of the frame. I pay particular attention the props/motors. I also used an anti static/dust detailing spray on all exposed surfaces, a product I used on my cars. Aside from that, there isn't much I can do to stop any type of corrosion without taking the whole machine apart. I used to lubricate the motors on my Q500 with synthetic oil but was told by Yuneec techs to not do this on the H. Any other preventive maintenance you can recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input. I'm just frustrated right now and I know once this problem is fixed I may have a change of heart but, you have to admit, I have had some bad luck. About the only thing I have not experienced is a fly away. I'm still convinced some of those are pilot error. When there is so much liability (crashing and hurting humans/pets and property) involved with a machine, one tends to not trust it anymore. It's possible my H has more flight hours than an average machine. I have flown it all over the world in the year I have owned it, mostly in tropical settings. I'm very anal about maintenance and safety checks. I chuck props even with very minor scuffs. I did fail to mention, the motor made a couple of "snap" noises just after to start up. I quickly turned off the rotors and re connected the props to assure they were properly locked. The noise was like the sound of a prop hitting a tree branch. (no obstacles around)

The only "strain" I put the H thru is when I'm trying to get away from attacking seagulls. Rapid accents, turns and descents usually scare them off but, it's not something that happens often.
Call yuneec and talk with them.. if you had work done while under warranty and your warranty has just resently expired they will still work with you.. sometimes they will do the repairs but you pay the shipping to get it to them..

A week after getting my H back for a faulty Intelsense module I was able to take a nice 1 hour flight at sunset. Today I was going to attempt another one following my surfer buddies. The H went into 5 rotor mode about 10 feet off the ground after take off and stated to fall. I was able to retract the gear partially before she hit the rocks! Saved the camera and surprisingly only snapping one prop.

I have had a 5 rotor mode issue in the past and was able to catch it and avoid further damage. This time it looks like the right rear motor failed and she just started falling. I was so stunned I couldn't react quick enough to attempt a catch. Ironically it was the same motor that snapped a propeller during my troubleshooting a few weeks ago prior to sending it back a second time for warranty repairs. Do you think this was a coincidence or snapping a rotor was a warning? I thought these brushless motors have few documented failures.

I'm going to call Yuneec and see if they will do the warranty work 3 weeks after it expired. If not, it's going to be an out of pocket expense and then I'm selling her. I'm sorry, I have had 4 major issues with my H in a year of ownership - non were my fault and I've just lost confidence in it. I fly over water 80% if the time and losing it to the bottom of the ocean.....uurgh. I may get an H+ someday because I do love the platform. I really can't see myself flying a DJI Phantom after convincing all my friends the H is a better machine. Just gutted having such bad luck with my H.

My flight last Friday before today's crash- So sad.
Wow what a story!I hate that you put your heart backing up a Chinese company only to be let down.dont give up.our h is the best hex out there for the price.we have the best screen available!have you seen the remote for dji?hang in there.that is some killer footage on the beach!it's what I want to film,but I don't have a car.and I'm forced to take off and land in my small driveway.there are houses,telephone poles,wires,a no fly zone,and aircraft ,including low flying helicopters all over above me.im registered but I fly this way,because I'm not walking to the permitted flying zone.anyway good luck,and you sound like a cool person I'd have been person I'd be proud to fly with!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval