Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Another thought.......

Reaction score
Has anybody considered the fact that some flyaways might be caused by dirt?

If the realsense or the sonar has any kind of dirt or even a small obstruction, it could be thought of as an obstacle and constantly tries to "get away" from it.

Has anybody considered the fact that some flyaways might be caused by dirt?
If the realsense or the sonar has any kind of dirt or even a small obstruction, it could be thought of as an obstacle and constantly tries to "get away" from it.
I suppose that is possible and easy to check if it but I've not heard of it happening. Flyaways are fairly rare with the H and are usually accompanied by a combination of GPS and Compass problems.

Yeah just a thought.
I always check them before flight. I deal with sensors like this all the time. Real sense being visual could be effected by dirt, dust, moisture or fogging from temp changes. Sonar could also suffer from 1 or 2 of those. My thinking is it would constantly see an obstruction and try to "avoid" it. Not sure of the logic/programing but i would assume the sonar and RS work together. One draws the surroundings and the other measures the distance to.

I'm certain more than a few fly away's were caused by the users. Most likely some of them were flying around in Smart mode a long ways out and suddenly lost GPS and did the one thing you never, ever should do when you lose GPS, flip into RTH mode. Their H would have been a long ways away when it suddenly discovered it was lost and the path it took to get home could no longer be found. Where does it go? It can go anywhere. Others may have tried to fly it back but being so far away they couldn't see it to fly it and in trying to fly it back they flew it further away. The true fly away will always have a compass and GPS failure occurring at the same time. When they occur the H takes off like a rocket. The controls may still function but you have to be very quick witted to recognize what's happening and make the correct control inputs to stop it.

PatR I thought that if the H lost the control signal ( 2.4 ) it would eventually switch over and use the 5.8 video channel to start back, assuming the 5.8 was still there?

The 5.8 signal is the weakest link in the chain, easiest to block, and has the shortest range. The WiFi segment of it has even shorter range. Consider how far you can use your home's router WiFi signal and how it may be weak at different places in your home. It's for those reason the video starts to break up before the RC signal is lost, something all that fly using WiFi for signal transmission should always remember. The video signal is your early warning system. If the video starts getting flaky it's time to come home. For those that experience a fly away at short range, as one of mine did, we might consider that when compass and GPS both fail there could be other electronic signal conflicts occurring within the system that prevent the system from executing a signal trace back to the controller. I'm not a radio technician and don't understand all that could be involved but for those that experienced a true fly away and did all that was possible to prevent progression of the event I'm sure they've thought long and hard about what they could have done differently to interrupt the action to regain control. They may have recognized there is more to what takes place than a pair of components that are not necessary to fly the aircraft using basic functions experiencing a temporary failure.

Under "normal" circumstances, when losing signal the H will most definitely fly itself to the last known position of the flight controller. Before doing so it will rise to the programmed RTL height if below it, or remain at a higher altitude than the RTL height if above it. Once arriving at the last known controller location it will stop and hover and wait to regain signal. If it does not regain signal it will run out the battery to the auto land trigger point and land. It's been awhile so I don't remember at what point it lowers the gear if it had been raised but it will lower the gear automatically. Many of us have tested this safety function and know it to be true. A true "fly away" is anything but a "normal" situation. and it's a condition that every brand of consumer level multirotors can experience.

Where the H is concerned, there haven't been as many true fly away's as some have reported them. If we review the telemetry from them we see there have been a few fly away's but a larger number that were "flown away" by the user due to inexperience and lack of flight control skills.

People often refuse to admit they made a mistake that cost them over a thousand $$, it's all about their money at that point, so they make a warranty claim using fly away as probable cause in order to be provided a new aircraft as a free replacement. Quite a few believe they can't make mistakes or believe systems should be capable of preventing them from making a mistake and therefore blame the product instead of themselves. The "fly away" tales blossom from there. Yuneec insists on reviewing flight telemetry from more than just the incident flight for those reasons. The true fly away provides ample evidence of the event while something flown away tells a completely different story through the telemetry.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Pat. What would you say is a nominal LOS range for the H?

I’ve been out about a mile for the longest flight I ever made for recreational purposes. I could not see the H at all. For commercial work where LOS is an absolute requirement I’ve gone to 1600-1800’ with no issue BUT I kept the H with clear line of sight signal by not letting anything obstruct the path between the H and controller. For the record, I would not do a mile distant flight again. Too many things can go wrong and there may not be enough battery remaining to get back if it was out there awhile. Plus I don’t like hiking that far through people’s yards and rough terrain;)

Thanks pat. I got my Drone last Dec. It has 3 external antenna including the new " patch " antenna for video reception. Is that what you have?

I don't have the patch antennas as I've only bought the H Standard versions that does not include a patch antenna.

You have the 2 external antenna. I understand that one is the 2.4 control and the other is for telemetry reception?

2.4 is the control signal going to the aircraft and the 5.8 is receiving the video and telemetry signal from it. Early ST 16's had a single 2.4 externally on the transmitter with a second inside plus the 5.8. Later versions (H Pro) have the setup you do which place both 2.4 antenna externally with the 5.8 in the center.

2.4 is the control signal going to the aircraft and the 5.8 is receiving the video and telemetry signal from it. Early ST 16's had a single 2.4 externally on the transmitter with a second inside plus the 5.8. Later versions (H Pro) have the setup you do which place both 2.4 antenna externally with the 5.8 in the center.
What is the purpose of the second 2.4 antenna? Simply redundancy? Control vs. telemetry? Sender and receiver?

I'm not 100% sure about that, maybe someone who knows can answer. I just remember a thread on here last year where someone converted their ST 16 from the earlier 1 x 1 two antenna configuration to the 2 x 1 three external antenna type. It was that thread that made me look for a H that had the later transmitter.

My understanding is that all ST16 have 3 antennas. Original models of the ST16 left one inside the case and it was simply a wire.

I read that one of the long antenna was for control, 2.4 and the other long ant was for the telemetry. The patch antenna is for 5.8 video reception. Is this correct?

I think I've had 2 flyaways and one was for sure.

Today was the for sure flyaway. I was in a spot where I've flown a dozen times without incident. I was within 100 ft of the TH480 and it was about 50' up. I had the rate control slider in Turtle position. All of a sudden I got a GPS message on the ST-16 and it took off like a bat out of Hades, it was unresponsive to controls and no time to turn GPS off before it lodged itself about 50' up in a pine tree.

There were no GPS issues when I launched. ST-16 and TH480 had more than enough satellites and things looked good.

Now I've got to find a tree service to retrieve the TH480. There's no way I'm going up that tree.

This sux.

I guess in the future I will take a screenshot of the ST-16 to prove I had enough satellites prior to launch.

I have no idea why the GPS error happened or why the TH480 simply took off like that.

Reactions: rory

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio