Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone here used UGCS with H520 or knows how it works?

*Following along*

Not the response you’re seeking...

I own UgCS, and have read through the docs how to install for H520 but I’m on the other side... strongly considering adding a H520 but haven’t purchased yet. For what it’s worth, using with other platforms is a very strong program, accurate, feature rich, always new features being released or discussed, stable upgrades, including the DJI RC component. This is mainly a notebook based program which for me personally was an adjustment not fully adapted yet. I’ve ran on both Win10 & Mac OS, prefer the Mac version.

The H520 “deciding” swing of the needle is getting more positive with 3rd party inclusion and paticuarly all you guys indicating Firmware is making strong improvements.

I exchanged
As in the title: Anyone here used UGCS with H520 or knows how it works? I'm curious about your experiences
in exploring the H520 while considering a purchase; I opened a support ticket with UgCS. I wasn’t fully clear how the H520 connects... since I don’t yet have a H520 and use M210 & Mavic2 with UgCS. The DJI platform includes a small app that runs on the Android tablet connected to the RC unit that obtains the notebook’s data files. (No iPad iOS support).

The H520 has to be ran from the UgCS notebook; Mac or Windows with a WiFi connection to H520. They also stress the ST16S Controller app can not be loaded or running.

Question, can the ST16S run without default app loading... do you need to unload or stop app after startup? Will the H520 & Camera bind to ST16S without controller app running, Doesn’t the app initiate the binds or is that part of the Radio’s Firmware. That’s an area of confusion, I thought the controller App “was” a component of the Radio’s Firmware.

Clarification, instructions indicate no ST16S on, but in discussions with Tech when I expressed lack of manual override control, the Tech indicated ST16S radio could be On & Connected, just Controller app can not be running.

Which is similar to DJI, the DJI app does not load or install, the UgCS sub-app runs instead.

Last edited:
In the ST16S always prevails the control of the sticks to DataPilot. So when it fails, you don't lose control of the drone. The fact that DataPilot has to be turned off is so as not to interfere with UgCS commands, it makes a lot of sense. But the ST16S apart from a ground station is the controller at the same time. You remove the part of the ground station that becomes the UgCS and you keep the controller.

Let's remember that the concept of ground station and controller in the same device is a "relatively" new concept, all integrated in one, but a laptop has always been used through a telemetry connection to establish the connection with the ground station installed in the laptop.

Great add & info!
I did realize the separate logical 2 layers and functionality... the radio being the connection to H520, but didn't know (not having one to examine) if the DataPilot app was separate or incorporated with Radio FW. The H's ST16 FW is associated directly to the radio's FW. The DJI radio has the connection to the craft but has zero software functionality incorporated, that's separate on tablet device (iOS or Android).

UgCS assumes the core app in place of DJI Go4 app, same concept for ST16S... just didn't realize DataPilot was separate.

Makes more sense now... I was visualizing radio FW fully inclusive. Thanks for info!

In the ST16S always prevails the control of the sticks to DataPilot. So when it fails, you don't lose control of the drone. The fact that DataPilot has to be turned off is so as not to interfere with UgCS commands, it makes a lot of sense. But the ST16S apart from a ground station is the controller at the same time. You remove the part of the ground station that becomes the UgCS and you keep the controller.

Let's remember that the concept of ground station and controller in the same device is a "relatively" new concept, all integrated in one, but a laptop has always been used through a telemetry connection to establish the connection with the ground station installed in the laptop.

Re-reading the UgCS H520 connection guide to reaffirm my initial concerns; #4 post & documentation indicates SR16S is OFF or if desired to have manual override, can have ST16S on with DataPilot not loaded.

Their connection is “Notebook directly to H520 Platform”, not using ST16S for UgCS operations. The ST16S is not part of the UgCS mission; if the ST16S is on, it’s for taking manual control but not required or used by UgCS.

The UgCS is connecting via the WiFi connection of the H520 & Camera to Notebook. That was the part that got my initial question to UgCS Tech, on how to have radio connection for manual if needed, which led into the DataPilot app being loaded or not loaded. My initial confusion, concern & question was no radio, no manual override compared to DJI running a small sub-app with controller to Notebook. The DJI config by UgCS default provides a manual override.

If I miss-communicated earlier, my bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval