Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone tried extending Mantis' range?

Hello,

did anyone try to extend the range in any way?
What methods do you think are feasible?

Why?

Not trying to by a smartalec; just wondering if you are encountering issues with range. I doubt I want it to go out much further. Already tough to see at a distance.

Didn't get mine for distance. I have the 480 and 520 for that, if necessary.

Jeff

Why? Because why not ;) I could list many reasons, but the truest for me is curiosity, to be honest.

Also, I'm getting 400m meters from mine (on a good day) and I'd like to get more.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
There is obviously a major difference between the US (FCC) version and the European version as evidenced by the Mantis Q specs posted on the Yuneec UK website Mantis Q Specs. Could just be firmware differences and related to allowed power levels for the transmitter.

I live in the mountains if North georgia , and I would love to extend the range simply because the tremendous flight times you get, I've barely exceeded 7000. Feet with my custom parabolics but I'm working on some things now that may work. I'll post of I succeed. Otherwise I'm open to any suggestions as well, the radio antennas a are very easily accessed so some helical type antennas might work well.

At 400m, how can you see the mantis? When I'm out flying my H 1200 feet vertical 400' horizontal, it's a dot in the sky,:eek: and when trees are in the background, I'm luck to see it beyond 600'.
Drones are like gecko's, they tends to blend into the background.o_O

External Tuning antenna for mantis q Coverleaf instead of original pcb antenna.Regards M.C.20181118_190158.jpeg20181103_193701.jpeg

I don't know if my transmitter is having an issue, but I am only getting about 300m with clear line of site and even less with trees. I only show one bar on the signal strength meter in the app when it gets more than 10m from me. Vertical can go to my limit of 400' no problem. But horizontal can't get very far and loose connection.

I don't know if my transmitter is having an issue, but I am only getting about 300m with clear line of site and even less with trees. I only show one bar on the signal strength meter in the app when it gets more than 10m from me. Vertical can go to my limit of 400' no problem. But horizontal can't get very far and loose connection.

Is that the video feed or the RC control signal you are losing?

The video feed will depend on the smart device you use and whether it is in a protective case or not.

The RC Controller should not lose connection at that distance. Get the full user manual from the sticky post at the top of the Mantis forum and see the portion on how to orient the antennas for the best reception.

It is the controller, see pic. Just loosing image doesn't activate the RTH. You can see that I'm not far and my signal is almost gone with controller. All I did was go up and I have antenna position out directly even under the Mantis. I have lost video and kept flying and it would come back online without doing a complete signal loss.
f0953f8da622d37770aaee5298773559.jpg

Reactions: Scijohn23
According to the manual the antennas are supposed to be parallel to the ground for best effect. The pic is showing a weak RC signal with the Mantis at a height of 90 feet and 0 distance.

Still seems an extremely close distance for such s weak RC signal. I would contact Yuneec Customer Support if I were you.

This is the best mood to get a good range for your Mantis Q and a stabil video signal !

Regards from Germany M.C.20181127_151441.jpeg20181127_151342.jpeg

This is the best mood to get a good range for your Mantis Q and a stabil video signal !

Regards from Germany M.C.View attachment 13349View attachment 13350

While photos give some idea of what was done to make the modifications for the remote and in an earlier post using an external antenna on the Mantis Q, they are pretty much useless without providing information on the parts used and the procedure to make the modifications.

Would you be willing to generate a tutorial to show how you accomplished your mods?

While photos give some idea of what was done to make the modifications for the remote and in an earlier post using an external antenna on the Mantis Q, they are pretty much useless without providing information on the parts used and the procedure to make the modifications.

Would you be willing to generate a tutorial to show how you accomplished your mods?
I don't think so .I make all things by myself and some of these tips are useful for some guys to make there own experience in this field.

Regards from Germany and happy new year. M.C.

20181103_173518.jpeg20181103_171542.jpeg

Reactions: Mustang01
I don't think so .I make all things by myself and some of these tips are useful for some guys to make there own experience in this field.

View attachment 13400View attachment 13401

View attachment 13400View attachment 13401
Did you also do any mods to the antenna on the drone? or just to the controller. I already got the Yuneec antenna that is showed in your pictures, and still waiting fo the patch antenna to start modifying the controller.

Did you also do any mods to the antenna on the drone? or just to the controller. I already got the Yuneec antenna that is showed in your pictures, and still waiting fo the patch antenna to start modifying the controller.

See post #8 above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval