Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone use a Zao-S with an H-520 to livestream?

Reaction score
I work in emergency management and am looking for a solution to livestream to a command center for key decision makers. The video doesn't need to be fancy, 720 should do the trick. Found the Zao-S from Solition, but was wondering if anyone has any experience? Also seen Vidizmo with a supposed solution, just not sure on performance and latency...

I have not done it yet but it seams there are some solutions available if you do not mind to stream to your youtube channel. This is the first I have found googling.
SIVIS - small and simple HD video streamer from any HDMI camera

It is a pre-order but if you need something fast I am sure you can find something similar for a similar price.

You can just connect such devices to HDMI out port on St16s and it should mirror your st16s screen on your youtube channel. I am note sure though how you handle your audio if you need explain something shown on your stream with the drone and its audio in the air and you being on the ground.

If you do not want to stream it to youtube and your team is going to be within 100m of a place where you are going to fly there are some combos that include a transmitter and a receiver for doing HDMI wirelessly.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
The image of the ST16S can be taken out without any problem using the HDMI cable but we have the problem that the GUI image is integrated. If you don't want to see the GUI you won't see it in the ST16S either and that's a problem. Ideally, they would allow us to capture the image directly from the drone, but that becomes a problem because it seems to only allow one connection, that of the ST16S. In addition, it forces you to be "tied" to the ST16S with a cable.

In my opinion, the ideal solution would be for the ST16S to have the possibility to activate and deactivate the GUI only on the HDMI port of the ST16S through a control. Then it would be easier to transmit the signal from that port by other wireless means to the Ground Station, to a control center or wherever you want.

Unfortunately from what I understand the ST-16 is not really designed to 'dual screen' - to send a different image to the screen and the HDMI output, so that's not really an option. At least on the Typhoon H you can tap on the screen to get a 'camera only' view, so if you don't mind flying without telemetry for a while you can use that. Alternatively, some of the capture cards offer 'crop' settings that can remove the GUI stuff.

The other option is that the camera broadcasts to any device that can receive an RTSP stream, so a tablet with an external 5Ghz wifi aerial should be able to receive the video and you could capture from that. There are various options depending on how much you want to spend, but you can get things working with 'consumer' gear so long as you don't have a 100% uptime requirement. If you do, then you will be looking at a satellite or redundant networking hardware and a dedicated base station.

@Tuna, Have you looked at any of those other options?

I've gone crazy, we have two problems, the signal I think is encrypted and has a password and secondly, the 5Ghz frequency in which Yuneec emits greatly limits the chances of finding a solution.

I am using a iogear wirless HDMI transmitter that is attached with velcro to the back of the ST-16S, connected to the HDMI port and the USB port for power. The wireless HDMI receiver is connected to a Teradek Bond which allows me to get the full 720p output to Ustream (or any RTP streaming client). If I have good cell coverage the delay is about 5 seconds.

I've managed to capture the drone's signal, clean up without GUI. Now I don't even have time to breathe but when I ride it a little decent I'll show you and explain how I did it. With a delay of 2 seconds that I managed to get down to 1 second, more or less.

I've managed to capture the drone's signal, clean up without GUI. Now I don't even have time to breathe but when I ride it a little decent I'll show you and explain how I did it. With a delay of 2 seconds that I managed to get down to 1 second, more or less.
I follow this (to get a push)

Very interested Arruntus, can’t wait

Hi Arruntus - am really interested in your outcome. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Aruntas,
I am waiting with great interest and excitement.
When do you think you might elaborate ?

Hi Aruntas,
I am waiting with great interest and excitement.
When do you think you might elaborate ?

I hope to have some time in two o three weeks, so I can show it up up and running.

In case I'm late, I'm leaving this week, I'll explain how I did it, I still have to mount it and make it presentable, and see what can be done together. I think we can do better than I do. Give me some time and we'll talk.

G’day Guys, thanks Arruntus for your efforts. Just re-directing momentarily back to antimullets original post about the Soliton Zao-S product. Is there any reason you think it will/won’t work?

G’day Guys, thanks Arruntus for your efforts. Just re-directing momentarily back to antimullets original post about the Soliton Zao-S product. Is there any reason you think it will/won’t work?

Safely works by connecting the HDMI output of the ST16S.
I see a few snags, if you want the clean image without the GUI, you can't have the GUI on the station either. Transmit exactly what you see on the ST16 display. The price doesn't have to be anything cheap. Transmits in 4G? Do I need a phone card? Then you need a receiver on the screen where you want to see the image, they are two devices. You have to carry it with you while you fly the device, physically connected with a cable to the ST16S, something I wanted to avoid at all costs. I already have a small video recorder and it makes me uncomfortable.

With the solution, which with the help of more people, I have managed to get started, you receive the signal directly from the camera, clean, without GUI. You only need a receiver connected to the display where you want to play back what you are seeing on the camera at the moment. It's as simple as that.

It will be a bit sloppy but it is a solution for something that was "not possible at all" and at a reduced price. But I'll tell you why I still believe that you can improve the latency I've achieved, about 1 second of delay.

Thanks Arruntus. Interesting to note, I've just received comms from Zao S and prices start from $9000 AUD!!! I was standing when I started reading then had to sit when I read the price.
REALLY looking forward to your solution Arruntus.

It's better to sit down, yes :p. Those are great prices, they're just to make you dizzy :oops:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval