Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Apparently, another stick problem

Reaction score
I just received my "factory recertified" Typhoon H. On the first flight, I noticed that yaw was particularly slow and it appeared to wander forward when I yaw. It was a little hard to control (I'm used to a 3DR Solo, so I am not completely unfamiliar with how to fly.)

I searched and found a familiar thread in this forum. I went to the hardware monitor and found that when I activate J2, that J3 would slowly get activated at a much lower level and much slower. As the thread suggested, I went to the other thread that said how to do a hardware reset and rebind and though my heart skipped a few beats during the rebinding process, completed it.

The left stick still effects right stick control input the same way. Any further options? I would feel ok flying this in an open field, but not in close proximity to anything else (which is what I bought it for). I have a feeling this was the issue it was sent back to the factory for, but don't really know for sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
You guys were right. I needed to clean the sticks multiple times before I got any change, but I stuck with it, because of your advice and now, there is no crossover in the system test, or the flight I just had. Even after I thought I had it last night, I had some forward mixed in with counterclockwise yaw...so I cleaned it again...now good.

I thought about it in more detail and realized that I had the wrong idea about what was happening. It wasn't just that the signal was blocked or weakened by the oxidizing film, although yesterday before cleaning, the yaw channel was significantly blocked. The input signal was bleeding over into the adjacent channel because of reflection/echoing off the film which spread the time base of the signal to be longer than the sample time for that channel. I forgot it was a mixed analog/digital control system and had looked at it simply as an analog system.

So, I reset everything to factory, calibrated in the hidden menu (first time, the forward channel failed, by the way), then cleaned the sticks through the holes by squirting non-plastic damaging, non-residue leaving contact cleaner and manipulating the sticks for a couple of minutes after (4 times total). The cleaning was the only thing that showed any improvement.

The flight I just had was great and one of the best I've had in this hobby.

Now one more question. How often have you guys had to clean the sticks? I know it depends on the local environment, but would like to establish some rough time table for preventative maintenance.

Thank you again for your help...now to learn the details behind what this copter can actually do.

Re-calibrate the ST-16 again, just to play it safe... cleaning the sticks should always be done before "secret menu" calibration.

...<snip>...

Now one more question. How often have you guys had to clean the sticks? I know it depends on the local environment, but would like to establish some rough time table for preventative maintenance.

Thank you again for your help...now to learn the details behind what this copter can actually do.
Had mine since the beginning of June 2016 and have not needed to clean the sticks so far. My local environment is a bit on the damp side. I live on the slopes of the Pennines about 10 miles or so to the North East of Manchester, England.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech