Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Are you able Recalling accurately a crash or incident with your drone?

Reaction score
Schematic errors
Schematic errors refer to the use of a schema to help reconstruct parts of an experience that cannot be remembered.
This may include parts of the schema that did not actually take place, or aspects of a schema that are stereotypical of an event. Schemas can be described as mental guidelines (scripts) for events that are encountered in daily life.

For example, when going to the gas station, there is a general pattern of how things will occur (i.e. turn car off, get out of car, open gas tank, punch the gas button, put nozzle into the tank, fill up the tank, put the nozzle back, close the tank, pay, turn car on, leave). Schemas make the world more predictable, allowing expectations to be formed of how things will enfold and to take note of things that happen out of context.

However, schemas also allow for memory errors, in that if certain aspects of a scene or event are missing from memory, people may incorrectly remember having actually seen or experienced them because they are usually a regular aspect of the schema.
For example, an individual may not remember paying the waiter, but may believe they have done so, as this is a regular step in the script of going to a restaurant. Similarly, a person may recall seeing a fridge in a picture of a kitchen, even if one was not actually depicted due to existing schemas which suggest that kitchens almost always contain a fridge.

My point is when an event happens with a drone crash, fly away or other incidents, these errors or gaps can occur due to a number of different reasons, including the emotional involvement in the situation.

Last edited:
I can tell you that for sure this happens with new RC and UAV Pilots. I cannot tell you how many times I have watched someone take off a model that was not ready to fly only to watch the predictable unfold. Afterwards the stricken pilot is nine times out of ten, incapable of recounting the events correctly. I think one of the factors is that as soon as the pilot gets 'behind' the aircraft and panic sets in, the part of the brain that is used to remember recent events is overwhelmed by the rush of panic. Much like a bad SD card - the data was never written or was corrupted.

Reactions: Docdor and AH-1G
+1 on that. I was at a scale airplane contest once with a buddy. We were watching a guy with a larger model struggling to take off. He finally pulled full up stick, it shot into the air, predictable s stalled and spun into the ground. All the while the pilot is yelling "I got hit (pre-2.4GHz days)". My friend leaned over and said " he got hit - right between the ears".

The most fallible part of our entire system is the meat servo in the control loop!

Reactions: Docdor
I was flying my DJI Phantom Vision with a rotapixel gimbal at the time (April 2016). The photo attached was my last shot of the day and I was coming down to land circling to avoid the VRS (vortex ring state). A French Air Force jet then came screaming through the valley at speed and very low. My Phantom was about 30 feet up when this happened and it did then go into VRS. It may have been jamming or turbulence, but down it came very fast and about 25 feet from me across some very wet icy snow. I decided instantly that if I tried to catch it I might end up breaking myself. So it crashed down and broke one of the legs and damaged the gimbal. I fixed it soon after and it still flies today See photos. I can still see it today very clearly when i look at the photos.147571475814759

I was coming down to land circling to avoid the VRS (vortex ring state). A French Air Force jet then came screaming through the valley at speed and very low.

So were there two jets? Why would you be avoiding VRS before the jet passed you? Also is that an actual picture of the Rafale from that day or did you just do a cut and paste for visual aid?

I spent a lot of time in southeast Arizona. You have not seen low until you've seen A-10s playing in the Arizona mountains. Low and slow gets the job done!!

I've sat on ridgelines in southern Arizona and watched C-130's coming low and (relatively) fast across the valley floor and pull up and over the ridge NOE. Very cool!! Must be exciting to be sitting n the driver's seat doing NOE!!

I'm a pussy. I like the old saying that the 3 most wasted things for a pilot are gas in the truck, runway behind you, and altitude above you!!

Reactions: AH-1G
Yea, front seat was and is a trip!! I still recall many flights and reminince about them.
Night flights at nominal altitude, flying down range without any beacons or lights. 5 Cobras, 6 58's and 6 Huey's all flying in formation to some extent.:eek:
Another story is when we all were landing after that flight. We almost got killed, lots of dirt kicked up and we almost landed on a 58 that wasn't suppose to be there. ground crew didn't see it either.:oops:?
For me it was by the grace of God he protected us.

Reactions: Phaedrus
So were there two jets? Why would you be avoiding VRS before the jet passed you? Also is that an actual picture of the Rafale from that day or did you just do a cut and paste for visual aid?
Only one jet and I always avoid VRS by circling whilst landing or coming in slowly at an angle whilst descending. Cut and paste for effect.

VRS with multirotors...again? Oh my[emoji849]
We've spoken about this before, Pat. (with respect) I agree that VRS is very VERY difficult to get into with the more modern multies using later firmware (and nigh on impossible with a hex) but VRS was a thing to watch out for with the earlier Phantoms (Phantom 2 and earlier...I still fly a Phantom 2 Vision) until dji released a firmware update in summer 2015 which vastly restricted their descent speed. So IMHO, a multi similar to the one in the OP would have been able to go into VRS in certain conditions. When I did my ground school for my PfCO there was a module we had to do on the subject.

BTW as mentioned in a previous post, best way to avoid VRS with an older multi is to come down in a spiral pattern.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval