Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Auxiliary lights for drones

Docdor

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I am interested to know both what the forum's opinions are on the best auxiliary light system for the typhoon h, and if anyone knows of a system that can be controlled from the st-16? I have read several threads on rechargeable bicycle lights but would prefer something that could be activated from the controller and wouldn't be a drain on the batteries. Thanks.

Yeah I don't think you'll find anything controllable from the St-16, so lume cubes would be the next best bet...

Lume Cube and Vertigo sells a mount. Two of them give 30k lumens at full power. I tried making my own rig off the landing gear but that was making it unstable in flight. The mount goes on your gimbal top plate and works well.

I am interested to know both what the forum's opinions are on the best auxiliary light system for the typhoon h, and if anyone knows of a system that can be controlled from the st-16? I have read several threads on rechargeable bicycle lights but would prefer something that could be activated from the controller and wouldn't be a drain on the batteries. Thanks.
Recommend this article; good info from J Rupprecht Law. Hope this helps. AJ
Ultimate Guide-Drone Anti-Collision Lights for Civil Twilight & Night Flying

be interested to know how good the lights are, might be really useful for nighttime photography. I do a lot of skatepark/skateboard shooting and might be just what i need

You still got to get pretty close for them to work. I think you’d still need good video lights for a real night shot with these adding to the over all illumination. The movement of the drone makes lots of interesting shadows so pointing them down and then using another camera to record that looks really great. So passing over the skateboarders and looking at that could be very interesting and artistic.

Reactions: Steve0510
If you are close up I would say a Foxfury rugo or Lumecube is a easy and relatively low cost option.
If you are further from the object/ground a DL A from Luminell with a spot beam will definitely give you range. 3 times the price though.

My advice is to look at beam angle options for drone lights. Most action lights and bike lights have 60+ degrees of beam angle. In my experience that's not a good fit for a drone if you are at some distance. From my testing and calculations a 10-40 degrees beam angle Are better suited for range.
Mounted a 3 degree optic on a 10W led last week and got a crazy range.

I just bought my typhoon H plus today and will try all of the lights when I get it.

Best regards a light nerd.

Just to make it clear I work on development for luminell but I'm here as a private person and have no intentions to push anything on anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Docdor
If you are close up I would say a Foxfury rugo or Lumecube is a easy and relatively low cost option.
If not you further from the object/ground a DL A from Luminell with a beam angle from 3-40 degrees will definitely give you range. 3x the price though.

Just bought my typhoon H plus today and will try all of the lights when I get it.
Thank you very much. That is great info and will help me make an informed decision.

Thank you very much. That is great info and will help me make an informed decision.

My pleasure! One last advice is not to take the published lumen values as seriously. Compare the candela (LUX value at 1 meter) to see what intensity it actually delivers.

I just talked to a company who didn't understand why they had low intensity on the ground when they had 50.000 lumen on the lights. Turns out it was a 120 degree beam angle. Lumen alone is useless without the correct optics for your use

Last edited:
My pleasure! One last advice is not to take the published lumen values as seriously. Compare the candela (LUX value at 1 meter) to see what intensity it actually delivers.
Ok. Thanks again. I hope you like your plus as much as I do. Just waiting for a break in the weather to fly it.

Reactions: VeHum
Had my first night flight with the Typhoon H Plus today. Really happy with the drone.
Glued together some pieces of the recordings from the flight to give an impression of how the lights look on camera.
As it was my first try, all camera settings are set to auto and I have no idea how to use the editing software. As real as it gets...

Kind of cool, (no pun intended):cool: You really had to know the area in order not to run into trees or wires.

Oh, I'm surprised nobody called the cops saying, an alien ship is outside trying to beam me up.:rolleyes:

I think that it would be awesome to control the lights via the landing gear.

A mercury switch could turn them off when the gear is up, and on when the gear is down.

Anyone tried this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my