Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

B4UFLY Question.

Reaction score
I looked at the before you fly app today and turns out I'm 5 miles from an airport. It's a field with a windsock and the guy has a plane that I'm not sure he has a hanger to put it in. According to the B4 app I'm breaking the law if I fly without notifying them. How do I handle this. How do you experienced Guys handle this situation. I want to get my 107 Certification so I don't want to get in trouble or endanger my neighbor. It's only 4 miles in farm country. I need to know what to do.
Carey Field

This is a satellite shot of his "AIRPORT". Definitely no ATC tower.
Thanks for the Advice in advance.
Jeff

You are not breaking the law, it's ok to fly there.
looked up on Skyward, No national or state parks to worry about.

Courtesy dictates you should notify the owner of the field you will be flying in the area but if you steer clear of his field and remain below 400' there should not be a problem.

Reactions: Jal7884
Read this B4UFly sucks not trustworthy for now

Read this B4UFly sucks not trustworthy for now

I read this before the post.
It appears Skyward is something else to pay for?

I read this before the post.
It appears Skyward is something else to pay for?
No I use it for free. There are options you can use but then you have to pay for it. I'm cheap I don't need those extra services.
I'm 107 certified and a private pilot.

No I use it for free. There are options you can use but then you have to pay for it. I'm cheap I don't need those extra services.
I'm 107 certified and a private pilot.
Then you were who I was asking in the thread. I'm very new to drones and the forum and I don't want to be obnoxious. I've only learned who a few of the members are. I just want to be legal and not interfere with the local pilot. It's very doubtful I will ever fly over two hundred feet from here. I only need 100 ft to clear the trees comfortably in my neighborhood.

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.
Jeff

Best thing is to call or visit the owner. Talk to him/her and gather information on how often they fly and what their approach and departure paths are depending on wind direction. Most do not want to be bothered with a call every time you fly. As it stands now you only legally have to attempt to notify them and they cannot prevent you from flying, but you do want to steer clear of them if they are flying in your area.

Common sense and politeness go a long way.

Then you were who I was asking in the thread. I'm very new to drones and the forum and I don't want to be obnoxious. I've only learned who a few of the members are. I just want to be legal and not interfere with the local pilot. It's very doubtful I will ever fly over two hundred feet from here. I only need 100 ft to clear the trees comfortably in my neighborhood.

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.
Jeff

AirMap, and B4UFly apps are set up to show the user where airfields, airports, and other areas are that can be cause for concern. Skyward and the others are not necessary apps for anyone that can read a chart. The vast majority of the noted app locations are not restricted airspace. But they don’t tell you that and instead they allude to them being restricted just by placing them on the map.

The actual regulatory state of airspace is on the user to determine, which requires self education, which can be accomplished by learning how to decipher an FAA VFR Sectional chart.

DJI did pretty much the same thing with their flight restriction software. Most of what was needed to be “unlocked” never should have been locked to begin with but setting it up that way forced users to contact DJI and provide them user information.

The airfield you are concerned about is not in and of itself restricted airspace unless it lies under otherwise restricted airspace. Private strips on farmland are usually just that and only marked on charts for emergency purposes and to let general aviation pilots know they should not land there without permission.

One thing to always remember, regardless of what type of airport or where you are, manned aviation has the right of way 100% of the time. We are responsible for avoiding them, they are not made responsible for avoiding us, although most will try if they can see our little aircraft in time. If you see someone flying around that little field, avoid the area.

I’ll take a look at a chart and get back to you.

Last edited:
Using a combination of map and chart services, primarily the www.skyvector.com Washington area sectional chart, it appears Carey Field lies under Class E airspace starting 1200' above the surface. A little to the south you have Ocean City airspace that is also Class E but starts 700' above the surface. One important note, it lies under a Military Training Route that I do not see marked on the chart but the MTR is referenced on the airport information page. You have a lot of stuff going on in the general area and it would be a good idea to perform a good review of all the airspace types and wildlife areas to stay on the safe side of things. "Back in the day" starting out was a lot easier. It's getting to be a little rough on the new folks just getting into this stuff .

A couple of chart images and a link to a portion of the Airman's Information Manual (AIM) pertaining to MTR's are attached for your reference.
Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) - Page 146

Last edited:
@DoomMeister I've lived here ten years and have never seen that guy flying. I'm sure he does but I've only ever seen his plane sitting beside his garage. I was amazed his "Yard" came up as an airport.

@PatR Ocean city is a real Airport. They have an Air show and numerous vintage aircraft come here every year. They have a Concrete runway, Chain link barrier hangers and airplanes. Salisbury is a Hub to get to Charlotte, Philly and BWI. To me those are airports. They have towers, employees, Hangers, and Numerous aircraft. Chances are I'll never fly near there and I would certainly call ahead to check first. It just baffled me that I got a warning for a Chicken farmer with a Piper cub in his driveway from a government website. The Military things are probably Wallops and Dover. Those are the two closest to me. I was stationed at Dover. The guys there have Automatic weapons. I'm not going there for my third flight.

@AH-1G Thanks for the info. I'll look at skyward and try to figure that out.

Reactions: Steve Carr
That MTR is handled by Pax River and at the speeds they can fly it’s only a few minutes away.

Don’t get too excited about tiny private airports, they wind up on charts because land owners like the tax breaks they give them. Quite a few fly RC stuff from them either for personal pleasure or as club flying sites.

It’s good you identified the major airports but there is where airspace identification stuff starts to get complicated. It’s why I posted the chart, hoping you would develop curiosity about the different types of markings around them enough to start info research early in your RC activities.

Flew out of Dover once. A very interesting day.

Reactions: Jal7884
@DoomMeister I've lived here ten years and have never seen that guy flying. I'm sure he does but I've only ever seen his plane sitting beside his garage. I was amazed his "Yard" came up as an airport.

@PatR Ocean city is a real Airport. They have an Air show and numerous vintage aircraft come here every year. They have a Concrete runway, Chain link barrier hangers and airplanes. Salisbury is a Hub to get to Charlotte, Philly and BWI. To me those are airports. They have towers, employees, Hangers, and Numerous aircraft. Chances are I'll never fly near there and I would certainly call ahead to check first. It just baffled me that I got a warning for a Chicken farmer with a Piper cub in his driveway from a government website. The Military things are probably Wallops and Dover. Those are the two closest to me. I was stationed at Dover. The guys there have Automatic weapons. I'm not going there for my third flight.

@AH-1G Thanks for the info. I'll look at skyward and try to figure that out.
Just out of curiosity, is the property owner's plane an Air Tractor? I see those around here a lot. They really only fly them over the farms when they're spraying pesticides or weed killers, and only when there's a crop planted.

Just out of curiosity, is the property owner's plane an Air Tractor? I see those around here a lot. They really only fly them over the farms when they're spraying pesticides or weed killers, and only when there's a crop planted.
In that area it might be a banner tow plane.

Reactions: TurboDad81
In that area it might be a banner tow plane.
Ahh. We see those down at the Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks oceanfront a lot in the summer. One of those pilots was killed last summer in Kill Devil Hills. Flying in high winds, picked up the banner, and crashed almost immediately.

@Jal7884
Here is VFR map for your area.

Use this for weather conditions.

That MTR is handled by Pax River and at the speeds they can fly it’s only a few minutes away.

Don’t get too excited about tiny private airports, they wind up on charts because land owners like the tax breaks they give them. Quite a few fly RC stuff from them either for personal pleasure or as club flying sites.

It’s good you identified the major airports but there is where airspace identification stuff starts to get complicated. It’s why I posted the chart, hoping you would develop curiosity about the different types of markings around them enough to start info research early in your RC activities.

Flew out of Dover once. A very interesting day.

Well, it worked for me ;). Other than the official FAA info, got any suggestions for where to find more of a Cliff's Notes version to deciphering all the info on one of those charts? I happen to live just across the highway from our local airport, it's tiny and not used a lot, although it can get busy at times, especially during fire season :rolleyes:. No control tower, just a rotating beacon, AFAIK. Actual distance to the runway is probably 1/4 mile, but it's not uncommon for planes to fly more or less over our house on the downwind leg of the approach. I'm pretty sure I haven't encroached on restricted airspace, but it would be nice to know for sure, and to make sure I'm not breaking any other rules. Thanks.

Dave

You can also download the sectional for your area:

FAA Sectionals

If you’re in a TAC chart are, get that as the detail is higher.

Reactions: daved20319

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval