Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bad Solder

Reaction score
Short version: Bad solder on battery connector.

TL;DR version: My Typhoon H480 died on me not too long ago. Wouldn't power on at all. I just assumed the power distribution board got fried for whatever reason. I ordered a new PDB and everything is well now.

I decided to investigate the original board that was installed on my Typhoon H and try to see what the problem was. All my fuses were fine, flight control was ok. Then I checked the wire and connector that plugs into the battery and this is what I find: a really bad job of a solder! There was barely any connection between the main power wire and metal battery plug! I have the version 05 board, the new board is version 07 and had a noticeably better solder job on the connectors.

I'm quite thankful that the bad solder didn't break apart in flight. I'm beginning to wonder if all the reports I've read of unexplained THs dropping from the sky is related to a bad solder job on the older versions of the boards.

If you have a version 05 board, check your solder points!

Attachments

• IMG_20180914_230446.jpg
    IMG_20180914_230446.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 70
Wow That is a bad job. I just had mine apart for post crash repair. I remember looking at the main power connections, and they look nothing like those. Nice big shinny solder job. Does not even look like that was a solder tack. Was your H brand new or refurbished?

Reactions: Gomi
Wow That is a bad job. I just had mine apart for post crash repair. I remember looking at the main power connections, and they look nothing like those. Nice big shinny solder job. Does not even look like that was a solder tack. Was your H brand new or refurbished?
I bought it new from Yuneec HK.

Just shows that many different things can cause problems. Like anything else that employs complex electrical and mechanical assemblies that are combined with computer controlled software and firmware the smallest error or defect can be catastrophic. What I call the “Law of Minimums”.

Reactions: Gomi
@Gomi
I see your in Manila. Hope your good at soldering. Would take forever to get Yuneec to make it good.
One of my friends already fixed the connector. [emoji16] The board works like nothing happened. I'll stick with the new board for now. The new version 7 board I got also had a nice smooth ball of solder over the connection just like what you described. I'm assuming you also have the newer version of the board.

I did do my research and intentionally bought the drone with the assumption that I would provide my own repair and maintenance for it down the line. Even counting in the cost for replacement parts I've ordered, it still comes in far below the overpriced DJIs that are available here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimal khan