Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bald eagle VS. Breeze

Reaction score
I happen to live in the land of 10,000 lakes and twice as many bald eagles(Minnesota).
This morning I'm doing some profile video of a friend's property. There are 3 smaller lakes on the property. After some high altitude video, I came in down and low over the surface of the water. When I approached the shore, I began to increase altitude to clear the trees THEN out of no where a huge bald eagle flew under the drone, hit it with wings, sunk his talons into it and flew off.
We watched it fly away in his talons. I swear he was ripping it apart in mid flight, with his beak.

Any chances yuneec will have pity on me and replace it?

Not unless you can provide proof the the attacking perpetrator is employed by DJI... :rolleyes:

As one with MN blood, I am curious as to what part of the state you were having your fun.

Also, can't resist something said to another with a similar fate as in "not covered by warranty"...

"Yuneec will be more than happy to replace your Breeze, for the nominal fee of the current asking price." :D

Now over here in Northern Wisconsin, I am always on the lookout for those same raptors as well as the Golden Eagle. I always try to remember to scan the skies before launch. At least two nests are within 1/2 mile on either side of me.

Sorry for your loss. Great story for the kids, though!

Jeff

>>We watched it fly away in his talons

Hitting the RTH button could have saved the drone and earned a free bird.

As one with MN blood, I am curious as to what part of the state you were having your fun.

Also, can't resist something said to another with a similar fate as in "not covered by warranty"...

"Yuneec will be more than happy to replace your Breeze, for the nominal fee of the current asking price." :D

Now over here in Northern Wisconsin, I am always on the lookout for those same raptors as well as the Golden Eagle. I always try to remember to scan the skies bwefore launch. At least two nests are within 1/2 mile on either side of me.

Sorry for your loss. Great story for the kids, though!

Jeff
thankfully it was only 149.00 at walmart. I live in Forest Lake, but i was half way to the Chisago/Lindstrom area. probably 20 small lakes within a 30 mile radius. That eagle, meant business too. i just stood with my mouth open watching it disappear into the distance

wonder if you can track its last location with flight log? Anyone willing to plot his logs? Nevermind this question it would only be good till connection was lost to mobile device

Last edited:
thankfully it was only 149.00 at walmart. I live in Forest Lake, but i was half way to the Chisago/Lindstrom area. probably 20 small lakes within a 30 mile radius. That eagle, meant business too. i just stood with my mouth open watching it disappear into the distance
That is terrible and almost unbelievable
You would think after realizing it wasn’t food it would have let go
At least you would get it back
Did you attempt looking for it?

>>We watched it fly away in his talons

Hitting the RTH button could have saved the drone and earned a free bird.

Not quite.

Once the raptor has the drone, all resemblance of a flying craft, let alone controllable vehicle, terminates. It is prey.

Check out a few 'tube videos of eagles capturing drones. There is no more flying, other than by the bird.

:oops:

Wish you had video of that, from what I read in the past this has to be a learned/taught behavior for these big birds of prey but understandably the breeze is such a small craft that I wouldnt doubt the bird of prey thought this was a small bird like a dove, pigeon etc

wonder if you can track its last location with flight log? Anyone willing to plot his logs? Nevermind this question it would only be good till connection was lost to mobile device

that wont work, once he had both talons on it, i lost video and a motor failure displayed. then he just soared off over the trees, with my breeze thinking "this is the end"

that wont work, once he had both talons on it, i lost video and a motor failure displayed. then he just soared off over the trees, with my breeze thinking "this is the end"

No Dogfight, no time to switch to guns :D needed a wing man!! Take solace in the thought that your bird will go down in history of this breeze forum as having gone out in the craziest manner!

I always worry about the swallows. They swoop like crazy at it when I fly along the shore. I don't think they could capture it, but could certainly knock it around. I worry it would plummet into the lake.

I always worry about the swallows. They swoop like crazy at it when I fly along the shore. I don't think they could capture it, but could certainly knock it around. I worry it would plummet into the lake.
That is something to remember. I also have had many smaller birds show interest. If any bird actually comes into contact, it WILL stop the motors and umm.............sorry I'm feeling sorry for myself. I would sure love to know how Intel real-sense would have handled that eagle.

That is something to remember. I also have had many smaller birds show interest. If any bird actually comes into contact, it WILL stop the motors and umm.............sorry I'm feeling sorry for myself. I would sure love to know how Intel real-sense would have handled that eagle.

I'm thinking an H with RealSense would go something like this:

Upon sensing the approaching Raptor, knowing most attacks by said raptors are from underneath its prey (if in flight), the RealSense would first remove the "Kevin Bacon" note covering the module separation switch. When the raptor's talons pierce the outer shell of the CGO3+, the RealSense module signs off from the H thusly:

"Save yourself, you fine H! Live for another day. We sacrifice ourselves to allow you to return home to your family, friends, and colleagues to continue the fight."

The RS activates the separation switch, allowing the H to continue while the camera, along with the RS module, are carried off by the Bird of Prey.

"God speed, RS/CG!"

I'm thinking an H with RealSense would go something like this:

Upon sensing the approaching Raptor, knowing most attacks by said raptors are from underneath its prey (if in flight), the RealSense would first remove the "Kevin Bacon" note covering the module separation switch. When the raptor's talons pierce the outer shell of the CGO3+, the RealSense module signs off from the H thusly:

"Save yourself, you fine H! Live for another day. We sacrifice ourselves to allow you to return home to your family, friends, and colleagues to continue the fight."

The RS activates the separation switch, allowing the H to continue while the camera, along with the RS module, are carried off by the Bird of Prey.

"God speed, RS/CG!"
Amen, oh lordy lordy, A MEN

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Well Todd, that's a great story. Sorry for your loss but the story might just be worth the cost:rolleyes:!
Does the Breeze keep a recording on the controller of the video feed?

The bald eagle in the OP's story might have been professionally trained to steal drones.

There are many large trees in my neighborhood and there are hills around. Everyday, up high in the sky, I could see hawks circling looking for preys. At tree level, black crows squawking in trees, waiting for something like road kills for meal. On ground, squirrels, small wild rabbits ran around. Sometimes, I saw a bunch of black crows chasing a hawk when it went into crows' territory. Those black crows were very good size. Their favorite spot was top of street lights.

A few days ago, I was in the front yard washing my car then I heard loud squawking, black crows were "hopping" from tree to tree to circle a lost hawk that tried to take short flights from tree branch to branch to hide from them. The hawk must have gotten lost in crows' territory as I've seen it before.

A bell of rescue rang in my head. I rushed inside the house to get my Breeze, powered up the iPhone, the controller and the Breeze while running back out to the front of the house because I knew time to take off was critical to save the hawk. When the Breeze was about half the tree height with the motor noise, all the black crows, about 6 to 8 of them, flew out from trees and up and away to one direction. The Breeze scared them.

While hovering the Breeze at about 80ft, I could heard the black crows squawking "quawk quawk!" from some distance. They didn't fly away too far because I could hear them. I think they were cursing the F-word at my Breeze and me. I didn't mind their curses for I didn't mean to hurt them. I sometimes fed them bread, but on that day, the hawk got to live. The crows could bully a small hawk but they have not seen the mother of hawks. I saw her one time at sunset, the wing span was just huge when she flew over my car to go home after a day of hunting.

My noisy Breeze hovered for one or two minutes. I also flew it in a few circles then landed. My $149 Breeze was King of the sky that day when crows dared not staying near.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop