Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Batery help for a newb

Reaction score
Just inherited a Q500 4k with two stock batteries and then I bought two Morpilot 5400mah aftermarket batteries as I think that one of the stock batteries is no good.

I also picked up a new charger. A Venom Pro Duo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QVK1B6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no dealing with anything like this before and these type of batteries. I am use to plugging in my phone and it says its at 30% or 100% or whatever.

Here is my question. To what voltage do I charge the batteries to? They are listed at 11.1V I know, but if I charge to that 11.1v I get almost no fly time. The Venon charger will let me know how many MaH its put into the battery but as far as I can tell that doesn't do me any good since I don't know what they started at.

SHould I be charging to somewhere in the 12+v range?

Any help would be great.

Reaction score
Just inherited a Q500 4k with two stock batteries and then I bought two Morpilot 5400mah aftermarket batteries as I think that one of the stock batteries is no good.

I also picked up a new charger. A Venom Pro Duo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QVK1B6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no dealing with anything like this before and these type of batteries. I am use to plugging in my phone and it says its at 30% or 100% or whatever.

Here is my question. To what voltage do I charge the batteries to? They are listed at 11.1V I know, but if I charge to that 11.1v I get almost no fly time. The Venon charger will let me know how many MaH its put into the battery but as far as I can tell that doesn't do me any good since I don't know what they started at.

SHould I be charging to somewhere in the 12+v range?

Any help would be great.

looks like a good , read the manual , all chargers use about the same program
always balance charge your batteries .
Yuneec Q500 uses a 3 S LI PO battery the stock battery is a 5400 mah , you set your charger to 3 S , 5.4 amps and a cut off at 5400 .

below is a good site on LI PO batteries also go to you tube and find out how to use your charger .
A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries

ask questions the more you ask the more you learn .
fly safe

Reaction score
looks like a good , read the manual , all chargers use about the same program
always balance charge your batteries .
Yuneec Q500 uses a 3 S LI PO battery the stock battery is a 5400 mah , you set your charger to 3 S , 5.4 amps and a cut off at 5400 .

below is a good site on LI PO batteries also go to you tube and find out how to use your charger .
A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries

ask questions the more you ask the more you learn .
fly safe

Thank you for the reply first of all. Also, thanks for the article. I did learn a lot.

It seems that was my mistake is thinking that the battery was charged when it got to 11.1v. According to what I read, if I am correct at least, I should charge it up to 12.6v for a full charge. that would explain why when I thought it was charged up and I put the drone up and out 100 yards away and 30 up, it literally fell from the sky after getting a brief low battery warning.

Ill run a balance charge on them all and take them up to 12.6 and see how it goes I guess

Reaction score
Ok so I put a battery on the charger and charged it at 6amps. Its a 6400mah battery.

It charged for a while until it got to 12.6 and then it dropped the amperage of the charge to anywhere from 1-2amps. According to the charger, its still pumping Mah into the battery at that reduced amp rate.

This is also where I am confused.

SO when it hits 12.6v I should immediately disconnect and assume its fully charged?
Or keep it going on the charger at the automatic, reduced charge amperage rate? For how long?

In other words, how do I know if the battery is fully charged, or 80% charged, etc?

Reaction score
My Q500 charger will stop charging once the battery is full . I am getting around 20 minutes in the air . My mavic pro charger and phantom charger will all stop charging once the charge cycle is complete

Reaction score
Ok so I put a battery on the charger and charged it at 6amps. Its a 6400mah battery.

It charged for a while until it got to 12.6 and then it dropped the amperage of the charge to anywhere from 1-2amps. According to the charger, its still pumping Mah into the battery at that reduced amp rate.

This is also where I am confused.

SO when it hits 12.6v I should immediately disconnect and assume its fully charged?
Or keep it going on the charger at the automatic, reduced charge amperage rate? For how long?

In other words, how do I know if the battery is fully charged, or 80% charged, etc?

you have a good charger , it will automatically turn off when it reaches full charge , as long as you set the charger to the correct setting . remember to balance charge your batteries ,each cell has 4.20 volts 3 cells =12.6 volts , the balance charge it to get each cell as close to 4,2 volts . read the manual .

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelh