Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

batteries storage

Reaction score
I live in Michigan, the snow will be flying and I won't, to cold, in turn my batteries will be storage, what is the proper way, charged, uncharged or something else? Thanks for any help. I hope I'm posting this in the right place

It's highly recommended to charge the battery to 15.2v when it's not in use for an extended period of time.

Live in Michigan myself, actually a few of us here live in Michigan. While I'm not quite ready for Winter yet, Winter won't stop me from flying. Take a look at this Getting Started video from Captain Drone. Just keep your batteries in your pockets to keep them warm before flight.

Reactions: DB1 and gregd10
Where I live, on the edge of the Pennine Moors in England, we don't get snow like we used to. I remember the days when we had 'proper' snow. Not like the crappy stuff we get nowadays. That said, it still gets quite cold. But unless it's particularly cold I will still fly if all the other aspects of the weather are favorable. I put my batteries into old socks and when I get on site I put them into my pockets to keep warm. On very cold days, though, I tend not to fly very high because I remember one instance I flew high and ice formed on the props. I did land O.K. but the aircraft did become unstable. A close call.

Storage for batteries if you aren't expecting to use them for a while is 15.2v but 15.0v will suffice for the shorter term.

I agree, I've learned a lot from his videos. Since I've only had my drone a few months I can't imagine trying to fly without all the videos I've watched....all very helpful, plus all the help I've got from this forum.

Where I live, on the edge of the Pennine Moors in England, we don't get snow like we used to. I remember the days when we had 'proper' snow. Not like the crappy stuff we get nowadays. That said, it still gets quite cold. But unless it's particularly cold I will still fly if all the other aspects of the weather are favorable. I put my batteries into old socks and when I get on site I put them into my pockets to keep warm. On very cold days, though, I tend not to fly very high because I remember one instance I flew high and ice formed on the props. I did land O.K. but the aircraft did become unstable. A close call.

Storage for batteries if you aren't expecting to use them for a while is 15.2v but 15.0v will suffice for the shorter term.

Thanks for the very interesting story, plus the help with the batteries...much appreciated from friends across the pond

I live in Michigan, the snow will be flying and I won't, to cold, in turn my batteries will be storage, what is the proper way, charged, uncharged or something else? Thanks for any help. I hope I'm posting this in the right place
14,3 V and in room temperatur.

I too live in Michigan, I do not let the cold stop me from flying. Nothing like a fresh snow fall seen from 300' in the air.
You may see a slight reduction in flight time. I keep my batteries at room temp till I am ready to go out and fly. I have a small beverage cooler to keep the spare ones warm.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I too live in Michigan, I do not let the cold stop me from flying. Nothing like a fresh snow fall seen from 300' in the air.
You may see a slight reduction in flight time. I keep my batteries at room temp till I am ready to go out and fly. I have a small beverage cooler to keep the spare ones warm.
I throw a small towel in the clothes dryer to warm up and then put that and my batteries in a small collapsible cooler

I am fully aware of the magnifying icon, and have used it to search battery storage. I discovered that I need to purchase an aftermarket battery charger that can put my batteries into storage mode. It's on my list of more stuff I need to buy for the drone. However, that doesn't help me in short term, as I prepare to leave town for 10 days or so. I further read I need to run batteries down, put in original charger and use a voltage meter every ten minutes to check batteries are at proper storage voltage. Guess what, I don't have a voltage meter either. On this post I see three suggested voltages: 15.2v 15.0v and 14.3v - I guess I will pick the middle voltage and hope I can magically pull the battery off the charger at 15.0v Wish me luck!

There are websites that are devoted to educating people that want to learn about batteries and their care. Www.batteryuniversity.com is one of them. Reviewing them can be helpful. The H battery storage charge level should be 15.2 to 15.25v total. Missing those values and ending up at 15v is not going to hurt anything.

Not having a voltage meter is a personal problem, not a multirotor community problem. You can buy one at a hardware store and do it the hard way by pin testing each cell individually or obtain a battery charge adapter from an H vendor along with a 2s to 6s voltage tester/low level alarm at Amazon. The tester costs about $3.00. Every field of endeavor uses tools specialized for the activity and those participating have to decide and choose those tools that best suit the individual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop