Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery! Battery! Battery!

Reaction score
2nd post having resolved my first issue (thanks to Steve an AH-1G). I've been flying for over a week now with no issues, but I do have a question about battery life.

I use the two Yuneec batteries that came with the Q5004K (I swap them over for each flight so they are getting equal usage). I have a standalone balance charger to charge them both at the same time with a display showing the charge is balanced across the three cells. I also have a separate GLEO tester to verify/check the voltage at any time I choose.

I charge to FULL (12.6 volts). GLEO says 12.5, but that is close enough for ratifying.

I then fly, take pictures etc and when the voltage shows 10.7 on my ST10+ I land. However, as soon as I turn off the props, the voltage shows around 11.1 on the battery. When I got back in the house I retested the battery with the GLEO and it said 11.4. Now 11.4 is still plenty of juice to fly around for a little longer, so did I need to come in early?

I live in England, Autumn is here and Winter is knocking on the door and I know that the cold can influence the battery life. Clearly colder outside (about 7 degrees centigrade) than inside, I assume the difference between the 11.1 I got after landing and the 11.4 I got when indoors was simply to do with the change in the ambient temperature.

What I want to know though is:
Is 10.7 on the RC a set in stone rule to get the Q500 on the floor ASAP, and if I land, see the voltage jump back to 11.1, can I fly again (keeping distance and height to a minimum just in case I need to get back super quick) until I see 10.7 again. I have done this a couple of times and probably had about an extra minute or two, and everything was OK. Nevertheless I don't want to try and be clever and then come unstuck with the drone in pieces and me saying to myself, "if only I heeded the warnings". I haven't seen the second warning on the RC yet and have never seen less than 10.7 on the RC.

Bottom line is I want to get the most out of the battery, and whilst recharging time is irrelevant if your looking at a smashed up drone, if I recharge at 11.1(ish) and am I likely to shorten the life of the battery, a bit of a Catch 22? I know 11.1 is 3.7 and 11.4 is 3.8 per cell and I have seen it written that 3.8 per cell is a good voltage level to put into storage. 10.7 for real would be 3.56, so is this too low for storage and need to put a bit of juice back in? I would rather ask for the forum's expertise to make sure I can make the best informed decision possible.

I assume when I get to the Spring/Summer and the temperature improves into the high teens and 20s (centigrade) I will notice the difference in my favour (i.e. 10.7 may really be 10.7 and I will have had a longer time in the air anyway).

Thanks in advance.

Now 11.4 is still plenty of juice to fly around for a little longer, so did I need to come in early?
No you were right to quit when you did. As soon as a battery isn't under load any more (ie motors stopped), then there is some bounceback of voltage (usually to something around storage voltage helpfully!), but it would be a mistake to then think you could safely go flying on that pack until it was fully recharged, OR that you could have got much longer out of it in the original flight without stressing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33