Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery "Break In"

Reaction score
So- I have read a lot about battery break in's and the importance of this with the LiPo batteries...... question, what is everyone doing with different batteries.. from the stock 5400mAh from Yuneec all the way to the 7100mAh....
That being said I know about the 50% the charge, run down, charge, etc......
A- how do you know when it's at 50%? what do you use as a rough estimate since the voltage is constantly shifting. do you just let a new battery sit at a hover for 15 mins? do you go through 20 cycles, or 5, or none?

What's everyone's input here......

also- on that topic, which batteries have you found to work the best over others.....

Reactions: daman007
So- I have read a lot about battery break in's and the importance of this with the LiPo batteries...... question, what is everyone doing with different batteries.. from the stock 5400mAh from Yuneec all the way to the 7100mAh....
A- how do you know when it's at 50%? what do you use as a rough estimate since the voltage is constantly shifting. do you just let a new battery sit at a hover for 15 mins? do you go through 20 cycles, or 5, or none?

also- on that topic, which batteries have you found to work the best over others.....
this is a lipo chart

Attachments

• Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG
    Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: theguyfromtx
You need a real hobby charger and the adapter cable from carolinadronze.

Storage charge is between 3.80 and 3.89 volts.

Break in new lipos with a 1C charge followed by a 1C discharge down to 3.1 volts followed by a 1C full charge.
Cheers -

p.s. Never leave batteries fully charged for more than a few days! Discharge to storage as soon as possible.

You need a real hobby charger and the adapter cable from carolinadronze.

Storage charge is between 3.80 and 3.89 volts.

Break in new lipos with a 1C charge followed by a 1C discharge down to 3.1 volts followed by a 1C full charge.
Cheers -

p.s. Never leave batteries fully charged for more than a few days! Discharge to storage as soon as possible.

OK I'll bite, how do you discharge a battery other than use it ? Curious...

The hobby chargers have "discharge" and also "storage" functions.

In the meantime, you'll just have to let it sit switched on on the bench and watch the voltage on the ST-16

Last edited:
I'll also clarify that by 1"C", they mean 1 times the capacity of the battery - in the case of the H battery - 5400mAh (it's really like more than that, but we'll stick to what's on the packaging) - that means 5.4 amp charge rate and 5.4 amp discharge rate.

Well, it seems that based off of the chart above you could easily take a multimeter and test the battery voltage (which is what ive been doing) but with no actual percentage numbers, now with that chart I know that I've been going WAY too low for my first flights, i'm hitting 10.8-11v off of my multimeter, that being said, when I buy my larger batteries i'll know what to cycle them through

Well, it seems that based off of the chart above you could easily take a multimeter and test the battery voltage (which is what ive been doing) but with no actual percentage numbers, now with that chart I know that I've been going WAY too low for my first flights, i'm hitting 10.8-11v off of my multimeter, that being said, when I buy my larger batteries i'll know what to cycle them through
did your ST-10 give you any warring like vibrate , or on the screen say land now , it should have and if it did it's time to land . the only thing i can say and what i believe in is know your batteries and what i mean by this is how much time each battery will last you in flight each battery will deplete voltage at a different rate .
fly safe

oh yeah, it warns me, however I like to try and land before that I think it goes off at 10.6v? correct me if i'm wrong. that being said, I typically land around 10.7-10.8 or so, well, at least get in a position to land (don't want to get stuck above a bunch of trees at 10.6)

Reactions: Chewman
oh yeah, it warns me, however I like to try and land before that I think it goes off at 10.6v? correct me if i'm wrong. that being said, I typically land around 10.7-10.8 or so, well, at least get in a position to land (don't want to get stuck above a bunch of trees at 10.6)
how much flight time are you getting from your batteries and as i said before know your batteries , set a timer and you won't be caught with a low battery , i usually fly out far and then come back with about two minutes left on my battery then I practice landings to a marked spot and touch and go's .
fly safe

well, lately it's been windy as all get out, sooooo not much flight time, i'm averaging about 15-17mins a flight i'd guess..... however, a timer sounds like a great idea!

I use Gifi batteries.
With the 6300Mah and flying slow and easy I might get 18 minutes or so.
With the 7100Mah I can get about 20 minutes if I take it easy .
Most of my flights are about 15 minutes...

All flyers have their own battery charge/storage ways I store all mine at full voltage in a bar fridge at 12 degrees and the all still hold their voltage and
Flight times some of these batteries are 18 months or older

Storing your battery bellow 40 degrees (F) is never a good idea.
Unlike older alkaline batteries that like the cold for storage, lipos do not like being that cold.
More of an issue.... Most reefers these days have low humidity controls. When you pull the battery out when it's that cold, condensation can build inside the battery case and possibly cause a short.
As was mentioned, everyone has there ways to store batteries. Imagine the life one could get out of your batteries if everyone actually did it correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval