Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery substitute (CHEAP)

Reaction score
As some of you know I have been working on building battery packs for the H and H Plus. I have been playing around with different types of cells and many different combinations. I recently discovered something very interesting.

I own an Asus gaming laptop, along with many other computers. I use my Asus for my 3D printing setup. I had heard that some people were using laptop batteries to build drone batteries that lasted longer. Remembering this, I flipped my Asus over to look at the battery specs and couldn't believe my eyes. The battery for my Asus laptop is near to exactly the same specs as a Typhoon H battery!!!

Typhoon H battery specs are:
  • 5400mAH 4S 14.8V 8C LiPo battery with 79.8Wh
Asus laptop battery specs are:
5200mAH 8S 14.8V (not sure of C value yet) Lithium Ion battery with 77.9Wh

The biggest difference is in the amount of cells. Yuneec uses 4 and Asus uses 8.

The Asus laptop battery can be purchased for 16.00 on eBay. You will have to adapt this battery to a 3d printed body for the drone and add the contacts for the connector. Total price for this setup is roughly 22.90.
I ordered a 16.00 battery and plan on testing it. I will post my findings at a later date.
Here is the link for the battery: Battery For ASUS G73 G73S G73J G73JW G73JH G73SW A42-G73 G73-52 Notebook PC Fast 695974465636 | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmie and thoneter
I do want to add that the Asus battery is a Lithium Ion type battery. IMO these batteries allow for longer fly time. I have not tested this setup yet, so if you choose to try this please make sure you know what you are doing.
Yuneec batteries are Lithium Polymer (LiPo)

Based on that information, the 8S would be two 4S batteries in parallel to provide a 14.8v output. I suspect you will find the max C value to be way too low to be usable for either aircraft. Typically Li-ion batts are used in low power applications.
Buzzkill

It’s all that cold and snow! You guys are getting @cabinfourus fever.

The laptop battery would be classified as a 4S2P battery pack or as @Steve Carr put it 2 4S packs in parallel.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Anyone know how many @Steve Carr s it takes to shingle a roof? 1 if you slice them real thin!

The C rating is the most critical with flight batteries. Lithium Polymer batteries are used over the other lithium types only because of the high discharge current they can provide. They are extra dangerous because of this, but it's the only reason they are used. A Typhoon H draws 10 to 20 Amps in flight; more than an electric bar heater. Li-ion batteries can't provide this.

Reactions: cabinfourus
A Typhoon H draws 10 to 20 Amps in flight; more than an electric bar heater. Li-ion batteries can't provide this.

Have you actually performed load testing to confirm that statement? I have, and have done so repeatedly. The correct value is in excess of 40 amps but less than 50 with normal and aggressive flight profiles.

Locate and review my thread about alternative batteries for the data.

Have you actually performed load testing to confirm that statement? I have, and have done so repeatedly. The correct value is in excess of 40 amps but less than 50 with normal and aggressive flight profiles.

Ahhh your just making this stuff up!

The honest truth is that we all think we're geniuses until we figure out that we're just wise fools and then move on with humbleness and get to the point that we realize that knowledge is a continuum!

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
The honest truth is that we all think we're geniuses until we figure out that we're just wise fools and then move on with humbleness and get to the point that we realize that knowledge is a continuum!
"A still tongue maketh a wise head" they say over here.

"We're all fools," All of the time.. It's just we're a different kind each day. We think, I'm not a fool today. I've learned my lesson. I was a fool yesterday but not this morning. Then tomorrow we find out that, yes, we were a fool today too. I think the only way we can grow and get on in this world is to accept the fact we're not perfect and live accordingly.

Way to much wisdom from grumpy old foolish farts!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss