Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Testing

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have been watching videos of the different batteries we can use for our Q500 and there doesnt seem to be a huge variety. However, I found out that our battery is not special or unique, its just a regular 3S Battery encased in a plastic cover with badly soldered and unprotected Interface (The EC3 and the Balance Port). Yuneec batteries go for about 60 bucks, but I have seen good bateries with 8000mah capacity go for 30 or 40. So, if you guys have broken Q500 batteries, it doesn't matter if its OEM or Aftermarket, I will appreciate it if you can send me the shell to do a test and see of I can make it work. If I can, I will post a tutorial for all of you to do.

Thanks!

Hi Guys, I have been watching videos of the different batteries we can use for our Q500 and there doesnt seem to be a huge variety. However, I found out that our battery is not special or unique, its just a regular 3S Battery encased in a plastic cover with badly soldered and unprotected Interface (The EC3 and the Balance Port). Yuneec batteries go for about 60 bucks, but I have seen good bateries with 8000mah capacity go for 30 or 40. So, if you guys have broken Q500 batteries, it doesn't matter if its OEM or Aftermarket, I will appreciate it if you can send me the shell to do a test and see of I can make it work. If I can, I will post a tutorial for all of you to do.

Thanks!
why try to in-case a larger battery , just make an Ec3 extension , the only small task would be to connect the lead Ec3 extension from the new battery to the Q 500 Ec3 connector , there should be enugf room for the connectors because you don't have a handle on the new battery .

I was thinking about that too, the reason about why I would like the method of encasing a larger battery is because i want to keep the push in battery style, and also I dont really know how easy the extension will go in when I put the battery. And I wouldnt really want to take apart the Q500.

I forgot to mention that if you have a dead battery and want to send me the plastic case, I will send you money for the shipping charges.

There was a guy on Ebay that was selling a 3D printed battery case for the Q. It had a nice set of landing lugs for the battery of your choice. I think he wanted about $25.00 US for it.
The idea of an aftermarket battery is far from new and something many of us have thought about ourselves.
What I found was the savings was at best about $20.00 over the regularly found aftermarket batteries and for me at this time, I'll save the headache and pay the price. For an extra few minutes of flight time, it's not worth it to me. If I want a few minutes of extra flight time, I'll install a second battery.
Jmo thanks and Good luck,
Jafo

Added: If you want cases, I can help with a couple. PM your addy and I'm happy to send to you. No battery inside. Case only. Let me know :)

Your right. For extra flight time is better to have another battery, but the problem and my complain is that Yuneec Batteries are known to be defective, people have complained they dont last long. My Q500 4K came with only one battery, and at the second flight it already puffed. I have 3 Hyperion batteries and they have been in storage for a year and a half now and they still maintain its chape and its storage current (3.8v/cell).

I just saw the 3d printed tray you are talking about, downside is that its dedigned for 2200mah batteries... :(

I'm going to measure the space my Q500 4K has for the battery and I will see what is the biggest battery I can put in there.

I just measured the original battery and the dimensions are as follows:

Lenght: 7" = 17.78cm
Width: 2" = 5.08cm
Heigh: 1.25" = 3.17cm

That is the biggest a battery can fit without modifying the Q500.

Last edited:
I agree. My factory batteries didn't last long. I get much better life and run times from my Gifi's.
I think the 3D tray will hold any battery you can fit in the space. He gave specs on that.
If you find an 8000mah battery that fits cleanly in the space, let me know. I'm sure there's something but my search didn't show much.
I'll look into the PM problem on my end...

Added: PM problem should be fixed.Try again :)

Does anybody know what is the correct discharge rate for yuneec batteries? I can't find any info neither in the battery nor in the Internet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss