Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Body/frame replacement.

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new at flying. I wanted one so view/scout out rock outcrops (interests in fossils and geology) and for scenic photos.

Today I got a bit cocky/complacent and caught a prop on a rock out cropping by a creek I was taking pics of. It was cool I saved it landed and replaced the chipped prop.

Then I started to fly down the creek using the video screen on the controller getting more practice at that. As I turned around to come back I noticed I was getting too close to a tree. I looked up to try and see how to get out but I failed and caught some slim branches hanging down and a crash happened. Broke 3 props and hit the ground. Inspection shows the motors are running fine. I'm going to test fly it tomorrow as I didn't have that many extra props with me. The camera works all looks good except the lower part of the body that connects to the right landing gear/leg. I guess it hit the landing gear first when it hit the ground. The lower part of the body is cracked some and the right landing gear wiggles some. It still holds the weight of the drone but will someday need replacing.

My question is does the airfame/body have the lower part or just the top?

Q500 4K Airframe & Body Set by Yuneec USA [YUNQ4K124] | Drones

I'm looking for the part (mine is the silver and the bottom is black) that connects to the legs and upper silver part. The part with the serial number on it.

Thanks

I'm still fairly new at flying. I wanted one so view/scout out rock outcrops (interests in fossils and geology) and for scenic photos.

Today I got a bit cocky/complacent and caught a prop on a rock out cropping by a creek I was taking pics of. It was cool I saved it landed and replaced the chipped prop.

Then I started to fly down the creek using the video screen on the controller getting more practice at that. As I turned around to come back I noticed I was getting too close to a tree. I looked up to try and see how to get out but I failed and caught some slim branches hanging down and a crash happened. Broke 3 props and hit the ground. Inspection shows the motors are running fine. I'm going to test fly it tomorrow as I didn't have that many extra props with me. The camera works all looks good except the lower part of the body that connects to the right landing gear/leg. I guess it hit the landing gear first when it hit the ground. The lower part of the body is cracked some and the right landing gear wiggles some. It still holds the weight of the drone but will someday need replacing.

My question is does the airfame/body have the lower part or just the top?

Q500 4K Airframe & Body Set by Yuneec USA [YUNQ4K124] | Drones

I'm looking for the part (mine is the silver and the bottom is black) that connects to the legs and upper silver part. The part with the serial number on it.

Thanks
When you order the airframe you get both pieces, top and bottom. There are something like 63 screws that have to be removed. The bad news........you have to unsolder the motors to change the lower half of the airframe. I would suggest simply opening up the frame and try to epoxy the breaks and cracks. You will need 1.5 mm, 2.0 mm and 2.5 mm long shaft hex drivers to take the frame apart.
These are the ones I bought and they work well for this job. NEEWER® Titanium Nitride TiNi Hex Driver Wrench 4 Piece Set 1.5mm/2mm/2.5mm/3.0mm - - Amazon.com

When you order the airframe you get both pieces, top and bottom. There are something like 63 screws that have to be removed. The bad news........you have to unsolder the motors to change the lower half of the airframe. I would suggest simply opening up the frame and try to epoxy the breaks and cracks. You will need 1.5 mm, 2.0 mm and 2.5 mm long shaft hex drivers to take the frame apart.
These are the ones I bought and they work well for this job. NEEWER® Titanium Nitride TiNi Hex Driver Wrench 4 Piece Set 1.5mm/2mm/2.5mm/3.0mm - - Amazon.com

Awesome thanks.

I have a nice long set of allen wrenches and have had some experience in soldering. I might try using some J B Weld for plastic first. I'm going to take it out today to make sure it still flies right. Not going to try anything bold today though, that's what got me here.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Just so you know, the motors are soldered to the ESC's. Those tiny boards are heat sensitive so if you overheat them during the soldering process something might get fried.
To test everything properly, you should connect the Q to the GUI and let it run the diagnostics. You can test each motor and ESC independently.

Awesome to know. Well not awesome the way its set up but its good information to have. Thanks. I will definitely be taking my time.

In this video at 8.56 they are unsoldering the motor. They have the right procedure but the wrong soldering iron. This is exactly how to burn up a board because the iron isn't big enough. You need a flat tip with about 90 watts to unsolder it quickly and then apply at heat sink to the connection to cool it before moving to the next wire.

I tested it out today. I have some props I bought off Amazon, not Yuneec though.

Amazon.com: Hooshion 4 Pairs Black Propellers Rotor Blade Sets A & B for YUNEEC Typhoon G Q500 Q500+ Q500 4K RC Air Force Airplane Helicopter Propeller Quadcopter Drone(Black): Toys & Games

I am not sure about them though. The balance seems right but I don't think I have the control I had before. I got up to 207 feet (a first for me) but it seemed to take for ever to come back down also. I was also flying over a creek water/gravel it was flying decent but started bobbing and almost crashed again (sort of skimmed the edge of the water) I managed to save it though. I said I wasn't going to get all crazy but I also have to learn at some point to fly the way I want to use my drone.

Here is a link to some shots I took today.

Juden Creek flooding

This is an example of what I really want to get shots of the most.

Juden Creek, late Silurian Bainbridge formation

Here is an earlier flight I had weeks ago.

Typhoon Q500 no lens filter

Video from today.

My crash yesterday.

More from that creek trying to show the rock formation and practice.

I have 3 more from that creek but I'm not going to list them all.

In this video at 8.56 they are unsoldering the motor. They have the right procedure but the wrong soldering iron. This is exactly how to burn up a board because the iron isn't big enough. You need a flat tip with about 90 watts to unsolder it quickly and then apply at heat sink to the connection to cool it before moving to the next wire.

Sweet thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace