Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bringing a drone on vacation?

Reaction score
I will be travelling to Mexico for an extended winter vacation in 2023 and thought it would be cool to bring my sub 250g DJI Mini 3 pro along, however there seems to be some conflicting information about the legality for bringing it to Mexico, specifically the area of Progresso in the Yucatan. Asking the question online gets a big "NO, not allowed" but some ppl have posted they have done it sucessfully.
Does anyone have accurate knowlege of the restrictions for this in Mexico?

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to spend a night in a Mexican jail but actually I have no idea. Someone on this forum will know.

I wouldn't want to spend a night in a Mexican jail but actually I have no idea. Someone on this forum will know.
You can contact the TSA and ask the question! Most likely NOT and if they allow you to carry it in your check on bag, I would be worried about mexican authorities on the way back! Someplace along the line, you will NOT get the answer you want!

As long as you do not fly near the airport or to low over social areas (Hotels, beach), you should not have any problem. The airport rules for drones are kind of same as in the US.

If you are going to flight, keep the batteries in a safe proof container in your checked bag

If you are going to flight, keep the batteries in a safe proof container in your checked bag
Spare batteries cannot be carried into checked baggage if not inserted into the drone.
There are also limitations based on the power of the batteries themselves: see table with the rules
Suggestion is to contact airlines and ask before flight.
2018-10-15 05.25.49.jpg

Last edited:
You may want to check this site out Drone Laws in Mexico | UAV Coach (2022)

The first item on the list is that you must be a Mexican citizen to fly a drone there. This is in keeping with what I have heard on the MavicPilots forum where I am also a moderator.

You may risk confiscation of the drone if you are traveling by passenger airline. Less likely if you are going by cruise ship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval