Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Broken Line vs. Expo rate curves

Reaction score
Referring to this video:
The video addresses the problem of jerky movement of the H with the initial control command. It uses the Broken Line rate curve adjustments to correct the problem by adjusting how fast the H initially responds to control inputs and then at a faster rate as the stick is moved further to allow for the full control range. I noticed that a curve similar to the one recommended in the link could be achieved by adjusting the Expo to about 17.6%. I haven't had the opportunity to evaluate either without actually flying. The Expo curve seems somewhat smoother. Is there any reason to use one over the other and if so what is the advantage
By the way, I noticed that the Expo adjustment didn't behave properly after first fooling with the Broken Line adjustments. Not saving, just adjusting. The null point would move when adjusting the Expo values. Restarting the Channel settings corrected the problem.

Ideally the Expo would be the logical first choice and it was what I tried first. I have many (40) years of experience in RC and am very familiar with these things. The problem with the Expo, (and why I settled on Broken line) was that, the expo extended the dead band in my estimation and is not conducive to responsiveness. Ultimately one must understand what these curves are; they are akin to the seat and steering wheel position settings of a car. There is no right and wrong - every driver is different and therefore every driver may like a slightly different setting for each.

I experimented with pretty much all the settings and found the ones I show in this video to be to my liking. I would also add that getting into these settings and changing them should only be done by those that fully understand what they do. I know a lot of pilots who watched this video had never even heard the terms used and so naturally they will be curious. I would advise them to first be very careful in these settings. If you are going into them to see what they will do you are likely to not understand what can go wrong.

On the other hand if when you fly, the stick movements are not corresponding to what you want to see in the craft's movements and you have an immediate determination as to what the fix will be, then you are more likely to know what to do when approaching these parameters.

YMMV

Last edited:
Ideally the Expo would be the logical first choice and it was what I tried first. I have many (40) years of experience in RC and am very familiar with these things. The problem with the Expo, (and why I settled on Broken line) was that, the expo extended the dead band in my estimation and is not conducive to responsiveness. Ultimately one must understand what these curves are; they are akin to the seat and steering wheel position settings of a car. There is no right and wrong - every driver is different and therefore every driver may like a slightly different setting for each.

I experimented with pretty much all the settings and found the ones I show in this video to be to my liking. I would also add that getting into these settings and changing them should only be done by those that fully understand what they do. I know a lot of pilots who watched this video had never even heard the terms used and so naturally they will be curious. I would advise them to first be very careful in these settings. If you are going into them to see what they will do you are likely to not understand what can go wrong.

On the other hand if when you fly, the stick movements are not corresponding to what you want to see in the craft's movements and you have an immediate determination as to what the fix will be, then you are more likely to know what to do when approaching these parameters.

YMMV
I didn't realize that you were the creator of the video. Nice work. I thought the initial video very nicely illustrated the problem. It didn't take much of a jerk to destroy the fluidity of the video. When I have a chance to fly I'll pay attention to the larger null zones. They could easily lead to over control.
Perhaps I'm just not seeing the problem but everything seems pretty logical and the various expressions of concern I've seen regarding these adjustments seem somewhat exaggerated. I also have the feeling that I'm just asking for it!

The Typhoon H is a very good flying machine. No doubt. It is however, or at least I found it; different in how it transitions from a hover to movement, from other multi-rotors. Small and subtle movements off hover are not it's forte in my estimation. I think as pilots, we all tend to want to improve our flying and over time, things that did not previously bother us; either from a flight or video perspective, can eventually become more of a sore spot that we wish to address. I made the video as I felt that I reached that point with the Typhoon H 480. But in the end, it's up to the individual to set the flying parameters to best suit their own needs.

Reactions: rdonson
I never changed mine. It reached a point where that initial “jiggle” reminded me of a well endowed female that liked to bounce or shake them to get your attention. Interesting at first but once you learn it won’t influence the outcome of the encounter it didn’t matter any more[emoji15][emoji2956][emoji1696][emoji22]

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G and Ty Pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio