Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Broken sensor glass

ACB

Reaction score
hey guys so I just got the breeze and was flying it and out of no where the drone lost gps signal and started drifting off and managed to hit a wall. The glass on the bottom of the drone for the two sensors broke, is there anyway to replace it or fix it?

Is it possible to change it yourself? I think I need a tutorial.

it's easy to unsnap the cover starting at the battery end. use a fine flat screwdriver to prop it open. once the battery is out the upper body flexes and allows you to prop the cover like on a samsung phone.
tell me something please: does the cover come with the mirror glass that broke? looked up the picture on the link above and .... does not show the glass

Found a detailed tutorial for you:
Q: How do I remove and install a new cover?
Asked by: Bill - 1/15/2017
A: The cover is snapped onto the body of the Breeze. If you are discarding the one currently installed, you do not need to worry about damaging the main body but the cover's tabs that lock it into place will likely break.

In the rear of the drone where the battery is installed you can see where several pieces of plastic are layered. Insert a flat tool between the outer most layer where there is a small gap. If the tool is wide enough (screwdriver) rotate the tool as if you were loosening a screw while the tool is between the layers. This will unlock at least one of the tabs in the back. If the second lock tab in the back did not release, repeat procedure on the other side to release the back of the cover.

If you are discarding the cover, pry the cover off it will pivot at the front and the two small tabs at the front of the cover will break off. If you are not discarding the cover, after the back is released, carefully use a flat tool to work down the sides of the cover towards the front using the same rotating motion used to release the rear tabs. THE TABS IN THE FRONT BREAK VERY EASILY.

Once the side tabs are released the cover can be pivoted creating enough room between the cover and the body to use a tool and release the tabs in the front without breaking them. This is difficult and our technicians often break the tabs when attempting.

Installation is opposite of removal, starting in the front of the drone hooking the front tabs and pivoting the cover to lock the rear. The front tabs are very easily broken and no resistance should be felt fastening the front in the correct position.

Last edited:
hey guys so I just got the breeze and was flying it and out of no where the drone lost gps signal and started drifting off and managed to hit a wall. The glass on the bottom of the drone for the two sensors broke, is there anyway to replace it or fix it?
Same exact thing happened to me first flight. It seems to work fine with the broken glass, FYI.

Hi, the same thing happened to me, the glass has broken. Can i put an acrylic? , Because the parts do not arrive in Argentina. Since it broke, I can not complete the calibration process, and the dron is more unstable. I need help to stabilize it again.

In the beginning I kept forgetting to unfold the legs before putting my Breeze on the ground!! So I put the little no skip rubber bumpers to protect the lens.
However the bumpers are too short on uneven ground even with the legs unfold! I then changed to the sponge play-mat that I cut in to dice shape as seen.
They are about 1/2" tall and weigh almost nothing.
IMG_4502_zpsu5iyh0gp.jpg

Hi, the same thing happened to me, the glass has broken. Can i put an acrylic? , Because the parts do not arrive in Argentina. Since it broke, I can not complete the calibration process, and the dron is more unstable. I need help to stabilize it again.
With or without the replacement cover i still cannot calibrate the drone. but it does fly well even without the calibration.
try fly it without replacing anything (with the broken glass) and without calibrating.

Move to different locations and try to calibrate again and do the calibration s l o w l y.
I found out that if I turn the Breeze too fast, the calibration sometime fails.

In the beginning I kept forgetting to unfold the legs before putting my Breeze on the ground!! So I put the little no skip rubber bumpers to protect the lens.
However the bumpers are too short on uneven ground even with the legs unfold! I then changed to the sponge play-mat that I cut in to dice shape as seen.
They are about 1/2" tall and weigh almost nothing.
IMG_4502_zpsu5iyh0gp.jpg

How did you buy the replacement sensor lens? I managed to break the glass first day flying :(

BYRON you give me an idea....

hello guys, my glass broke too and this is the best fix, the I found and really cheap about 4 dollars and some hot glue...
I bought a flashlight at my local dollar store and 2 ir lenses (9.5mm) on ebay...

lenses...
Optical UV-IR CUT filter UV/IR Blocking filter for camera astronomy lens HOT | eBay

flashlight...
Mini Aluminum UV Ultra Violet 9 LED Flashlight Blacklight Torch Light Lamp Best | eBay

first I remove the old broken glass and remove the plastic lens from the flashlight, its a lite big so I sanded out carefully to the correct size...
View media item 684
After this I remove the bottom part of the drone and remove the old broken glass and clean the area...
View media item 685
Later I glue the lens with hot glue, I turn out the base around and hold it down, that way the lens don't stick out from the frame...
View media item 686
After you install in place both IR lens and hold them in place with hot glue...
View media item 687View media item 688
And this is the final product...WORKING...
View media item 689

Last edited:
Fantastic!!

Thank you for documenting the UV/IR filters. I have them on order. I look forward to mounting them on the cover slides I ordered.

I've had my Breeze less than a week and I managed to crack that glass too.

My Breeze seems to fly just fine without the glass, and I don't feel like paying $40 for a new lower body. So I want to go the plastic flashlight lens route.

I already scavenged the clear plastic lens from an old flashlight and could glue that on right now. But I'm hesitant to do that because of the mention of IR lenses in a post a couple of posts above. Why are the IR lenses needed? Like I said, it seems to me my Breeze is flying just fine even with the broken glass.

The IR filter gives a better signal to noise ratio for the sensor. It allows the IR to pass easily and visible light is reduced. Some seem to get by just fine using a flashlight lens to protect against dirt and moisture. It is a cheaper alternative. If you start having trouble using it you can always order the IR filter or a new bottom cover.

I'm still missing something here. I went ahead and ordered the IR filters that Antodicorchu linked to. So they'll be here in two or three weeks. In the meantime, I hot glued the cheap plastic lens I took out of an old flashlight on to my Breeze and took it out to test. That didn't work--the Breeze took off and just kept rising. I could get it to land again by using the Land button. (This all happened fast, but my recollection is that the Land button was active, but the RTH button wasn't, and after I did get the Breeze back to ground, I'd get a take-off failure message).

That happened a couple of times. I then pried my plastic replacement lens off and tried again. That time, the Breeze took off, flew fine, and landed just like always.

I'd like some input from folks who have gone thru this (seems like there's more than a few here). If you replaced the glass on your Breeze, did you use a plastic or glass lens? If plastic, did you use a lens from a regular cheap flashlight or something like a UV flashlight?

I'm just trying to figure out why my particular cheap lens replacement didn't work, while others apparently have had success going the cheap route. (I realize replacement parts are only $40 but, Jeez, that's $40 for a couple of pieces of plastic. Almost seems more cost-effective to just go ahead and buy another $150 Breeze drone/controller combo from Walmart just to have spare parts on hand). Maybe it is the IR filters; I won't be able to test that until my IR filters arrive from China in a couple of weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio