Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Buying props

Reaction score
As you can see I've damaged 3 props this morning a gust wins caught it on landing.
I'm just wondering if anyone used the props fro. China? Been looking on eBay and that are stupid cheap. Just cost me £35 for 6 new ones. EBay is about £10. But thought I'd ask if anyone used any before
bc87db39aef0b79a9bceb7fc9017a7cb.jpg

As you can see I've damaged 3 props this morning a gust wins caught it on landing.
I'm just wondering if anyone used the props fro. China? Been looking on eBay and that are stupid cheap. Just cost me £35 for 6 new ones. EBay is about £10. But thought I'd ask if anyone used any before
bc87db39aef0b79a9bceb7fc9017a7cb.jpg
Same question here. I hope someone in this forum has tried it already. Those Chinese props are pretty cheap and it also comes with a replacement for the prop mount. I'm thinking to buy 2 sets - 1 set for red and 1 set for black just to differentiate the ccw and cw.

I wonder if the China-made props are balanced.

I was thinking the same thing the lights don't seam that bright during day and could put 2 red at the back

Considering how much you spent on your drone, why would you risk it with cheap props? Yuneec props aren't that expensive in the scheme of things. BTW - I would bet they aren't balanced. Yuneec's aren't either but they are made to tight tolerances and quality checked before they go out, hence the higher cost. Most props for RC aren't balanced either with the exception of some expensive or high end props or fans for EDFs, they are just made to tight tolerances which make them come out mostly in balance.

I also have a prop balancer and am fussy about my props. Buying better props makes balancing them easier.

Yuneec even gave me a set for giving a good review so I've never had to purchase props yet. Then again, since I've purchased my drone over a year ago, I've only broken 2 props.

Reactions: rdonson
I agree with gwhuntoon, Don't cheap out on the main item that keeps you flying.
I have broken 5 props since owning my H480, all due to my own fault (never fly low and fast around trees) I am now on the same set for over a year.
I use only Yuneec props and have had to balance each one. Some were pretty close, some were way off. I do not recommend carbon fiber props. While they have some advantages, they also do not break as easy, if you run into something and the prop does not break, all that energy is being transferred to the motor and arm.
Your the pilot, fly safe

There have been a couple of posts describing how the colored prop sets are cracking and breaking in flight.

I bought some cheaper [red colored] props on eBay for $12 (prolly from China) and I've had no issues with them within quite a few hours of flight.

I inspect them before and after each flight. I broke quite a few of the OEM props due to some of the standard issues associated with 'what not to do' flights. I got tired of overpriced props.

I bought some cheaper [red colored] props on eBay for $12 (prolly from China) and I've had no issues with them within quite a few hours of flight.

I inspect them before and after each flight. I broke quite a few of the OEM props due to some of the standard issues associated with 'what not to do' flights. I got tired of overpriced props.
Same Here, I bought a set and use 2 of the red props on the back 2 motors for orientation with no issues, and they come with the prop locks too. Tom O.

I'm thinking of using them as a back up set. What I don't want happen is like I am now can't fly due to no props. Can any one recommend a balancer?

General question:

If you're balancing props should you also be cognizant of the weight of each prop?

I'm thinking of using them as a back up set. What I don't want happen is like I am now can't fly due to no props. Can any one recommend a balancer?
I use the one by Top Flite Stock# TOPQ5700 about $20. It's the one where the shaft is supported by 2 magnets.
Very good for light props like we use, won't work for heavy wood props like for gas engines, very accurate.
Tom O.

Here is a somewhat in-depth video that describes the process fairly well. Some of what is discussed probably will not be relevant to our aircraft but the theory of prop balancing is pretty well explained.

Don't do second rate. You can find OEM props on EBay for $9 to $12 dollars for a set of three... By the way, they ARE from China. Right where the drones are made...[emoji16][emoji41]

Same Here, I bought a set and use 2 of the red props on the back 2 motors for orientation with no issues, and they come with the prop locks too. Tom O.

That's a good idea - i get turned around sometimes, especially landing. I realize I need to get more familiar with status lights, but the red props on the rear is rather clever.

The cheap props that I bought even come with extra engine prop lock parts. They seem to be balanced just fine.

The Dubro Tru-Spin Prop Balancer with some good sand paper will put everything where it needs to be,at least it did with my Phantom's.I had to buy a special threaded rod to fit the left and right threads of the Phantom prop hubs but once installed on the prop it was very easy to balance.

As an RC heli guy I know from experience about cheap blades. My dad always said "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap part". I tried a set of cheap tail blades on my 450 heli and it ended up in a tail spin when the blades shattered in mid air. Very dangerous when 70mm of carbon fiber like fiberglass comes flying off at the speed of light. When a gust of wind sent my Chase 360 into a live oak tree, one of the quality carbon fiber blades dug more than an inch into the tree and still stayed together but shattered. The internal weight was still intact to the hub. All my helicopters fly that brand of blade now. They are not the most expensive but far from the cheap ones.
My plastic multi rotor props are always inspected before flight for any signs of damage or fatigue. Sometimes I see the hubs where the blades intersect discolor. Those get canned because I feel that is where the greatest stress is under load. Discoloration means imminent failure. My 450 Flamewheel ran into a swarm of bees and all 4 props got nicked up on the leading edges. New props are more cost effective than a new machine.

Higher quality always carries a higher price. Over the years I've found buying the low $$ stuff always ends up costing more in the long run that buying the OEM stuff the first time around. I'm still on the first set of OEM props on a 13 month old H and would still be on the first set on a year and eight month old H had it not hit a tree going full tilt boogie.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adanigodda