Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Calibration and satellite acclamation

Reaction score
OK I'm now a firm believer in letting any drone acclimate to the satellites for 15 minutes after calibration or if the drone is moved over 100 miles. Previously I only let it set for 12 minutes before flight. Today I used some spent batteries and let the 920 sit with power on but props off for over 15 minutes. An article that I read stated that satellite orbits are monitored by ground stations, and each satellite broadcasts the almanac every 15 minutes, IIRC. (In other words, if you can flawlessly receive one satellite for 15 minutes, you should have a complete, updated almanac.)

The 920 was stable with hardly any drift horizontally and vertically. Satellites were 17 and 5 as they were 2 days ago. I am now a firm believer in letting the compass build the database of satellites before taking off. My speculation is that 2 days ago the drone had the same # of satellites but had not rec'd enough of a database to know where it was at all times and that's why the LED's cut out and the 920 didn't respond to the right joystick.

Reactions: rdonson and seabee
OK I'm now a firm believer in letting any drone acclimate to the satellites for 15 minutes after calibration or if the drone is moved over 100 miles. Previously I only let it set for 12 minutes before flight. Today I used some spent batteries and let the 920 sit with power on but props off for over 15 minutes. An article that I read stated that satellite orbits are monitored by ground stations, and each satellite broadcasts the almanac every 15 minutes, IIRC. (In other words, if you can flawlessly receive one satellite for 15 minutes, you should have a complete, updated almanac.)

The 920 was stable with hardly any drift horizontally and vertically. Satellites were 17 and 5 as they were 2 days ago. I am now a firm believer in letting the compass build the database of satellites before taking off. My speculation is that 2 days ago the drone had the same # of satellites but had not rec'd enough of a database to know where it was at all times and that's why the LED's cut out and the 920 didn't respond to the right joystick.

Interesting for sure.

I read this on facebook the other day and having crashed the H a while back straight after a journey of about 500 miles and recalibrating a few times because of constant calibration warnings I think this is good advice and can possibly/probably be attributed as the cause of my crash

Reactions: thoneter
I went and flew again today. Had 17 and 9 satellites. Took off and hovered for 10 seconds at 10 feet. The 20 drifted with the breeze and dropped 7 feet. It once again didn't respond to the right joy stick and took forever to get the kill switch to work. I put it back up and it was fine. I'm a bit lost on what's going on.

Remind me, did you buy it NIB or private party used? Go into the system to see how many previous telemetry files are in there.

Remind me, did you buy it NIB or private party used? Go into the system to see how many previous telemetry files are in there.
Used. I have not looked at the telemetry yet. Do you think the # of telemetry files is causing the issues?

No, just a means to establish just how much it was used. I’m building a ladder with the info you lay out. The first step was the camera problem. You could throw that box across the street and not hurt the contents.

No, just a means to establish just how much it was used. I’m building a ladder with the info you lay out. The first step was the camera problem. You could throw that box across the street and not hurt the contents.
I understand how tough the box is but if a wire was sitting between the grip and cgo4 the centrifugal force could have caused an issue

I suppose. The number of flights may have some bearing on the other issues. It could tie in with what Seabee has been working on but it will be a couple weeks before he can get back to us.

Next time you plan on flying would it be possible to set up a land camera to video some of the flight from the ground perspective? Helpful would be to use a 16mm to 23mm lens to capture a larger area of flight but whatever you have will work.

Next time you plan on flying would it be possible to set up a land camera to video some of the flight from the ground perspective? Helpful would be to use a 16mm to 23mm lens to capture a larger area of flight but whatever you have will work.
I will try and record the behavior but as you know it never happens when you want it to. I've got a couple Nikons with 50mm lenses. It's suppose to get cold again with snow, sleet and rain so that puts a damper on flying for me.

I hate snow, especially shoveling the stuff, but we’re getting pelted with a bit of rain for several more days.

I will try and record the behavior but as you know it never happens when you want it to. I've got a couple Nikons with 50mm lenses. It's suppose to get cold again with snow, sleet and rain so that puts a damper on flying for me.
" never happens when you want it to..." :( Heard that one often back in younger days as a Mr GoodWrench Trouble Shooter... people brought it in, couldn't duplicate for days, they pick it up and it does it on the way home! :mad:

Do ya believe it... we had a decent Sunday in low 50's and now another belt of sleet & cold! I like the 4 Seasons... but it's time for Spring! :cool:

On the subject of repairs... I had mentioned the endevor with the V18. Not entirely convinced it's not a software / bind issue so plan a full reset & reconfigure to rule out possibilities. BUT.T (notice the dot between :D)... on the possibility of repair, has anyone had any experience with Ingenious Ingenuity or also known as Vertigo Drones? They seem to take on most issues.... received a Post Label and ticket to service/repair the V18 camera. Prior to shipping, I requested a "little" more communication.

Anyone have any history or knowledge of the company?
Might be a useful source in future if needed...
Welcome to Ingenious Ingenuity - Ingenious Ideas and Products, Come Take a Look
Vertigo Drones Sells A Wide Selection of Drones & UAVs For Photography, Video and Racing

I would ask point blank about ability to diagnose and correct soft/firmware issues of particular items. PM for reason.

" never happens when you want it to..." :( Heard that one often back in younger days as a Mr GoodWrench Trouble Shooter... people brought it in, couldn't duplicate for days, they pick it up and it does it on the way home! :mad:

Do ya believe it... we had a decent Sunday in low 50's and now another belt of sleet & cold! I like the 4 Seasons... but it's time for Spring! :cool:

On the subject of repairs... I had mentioned the endevor with the V18. Not entirely convinced it's not a software / bind issue so plan a full reset & reconfigure to rule out possibilities. BUT.T (notice the dot between :D)... on the possibility of repair, has anyone had any experience with Ingenious Ingenuity or also known as Vertigo Drones? They seem to take on most issues.... received a Post Label and ticket to service/repair the V18 camera. Prior to shipping, I requested a "little" more communication.

Anyone have any history or knowledge of the company?
Might be a useful source in future if needed...
Welcome to Ingenious Ingenuity - Ingenious Ideas and Products, Come Take a Look
Vertigo Drones Sells A Wide Selection of Drones & UAVs For Photography, Video and Racing

So big dog, you have a lot going on in this post. I will say from talking to Terrestial Imaging that he seems like a nice guy. I had some conversations with him about others guys that were sort of working for him which gave me a little insight into where he's coming from.

I'm sure Pat isn't interested but for those that are closer to real America :eek: A few of us from the Yuneec Owners Group on Facebook(For you dinosaurs that's a social network program) are officially unofficially having a fly time in Duluth MN starting on Thursday June 7th thru June 9th. I'd love to see the v18 in person plus I want to know what its like to have that much money laying around!

Anyone interested in coming up to God's country can do a search for YOG Unite on FB and join even if you are from IOWA.

I'd love to see the v18 in person plus I want to know what its like to have that much money laying around!

Anyone interested in coming up to God's country can do a search for YOG Unite on FB and join even if you are from IOWA.
If it’s DOA, it’s just a big paper weight. It was a package deal... so no where near the advertised price. :D

Hey, I spent the better part of 11 years in Hood River, OR, part of the Columbia Gorge and have lived only an hour and a half away from the tallest trees in the country for 25 years. Do you folks have trees and massive glacial rock formations in Minnesota? I’ll leave oceans and mountain ranges out of it for the moment[emoji41] up until politicians figured out how to get themselves and buddies rich from the state this was God’s country too. It still is but you have to look a lot harder to figure it out now.

Reactions: thoneter
Hey, I spent the better part of 11 years in Hood River, OR, part of the Columbia Gorge and have lived only an hour and a half away from the tallest trees in the country for 25 years. Do you folks have trees and massive glacial rock formations in Minnesota? I’ll leave oceans and mountain ranges out of it for the moment[emoji41] up until politicians figured out how to get themselves and buddies rich from the state this was God’s country too. It still is but you have to look a lot harder to figure it out now.

Ya But... we have Tall Corn!:D And a movie verifying god’s country... “.... Is this Heaven? No, it’s Iowa”

Politicians.... :mad: the current attitude unbelievable... previous comments indicate you haven’t ridden the CA Hollywood horse... stay on the forward facing saddle. :) Thst’s all I’m saying! ;)

Reactions: PatR and thoneter
Either way I'd love to have you boys come up and see the US largest fresh water lake. Yeah the CA gov't definitely did a great job of making their state the worst to live in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval