Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Calibrations for the Typhoon H

Here are some good videos on performing the calibrations. Feel free to add your favorite videos on this topic.

Notes:
- conventional wisdom suggests removing the camera before compass calibration. It saves the gimbal a lot of stress.

- Although not a calibration, conventional wisdom is to allow the H to sit without props rotating for 13-15 minutes to allow the GPS to populate or update the GPS almanac. If you haven't flown in weeks its probably a good idea to do this again.

What Does Time to First Fix (TTFF) Mean?

What Is a GPS Almanac?

How GPS Drone Navigation Works - Drone Omega

How Do Drones Work And What Is Drone Technology

P.S. in discussing the IMU the "magnetometer" is a compass.

Typhoon H Compass Calibration Steps And Calibration Not Working Tips

Last edited:
Wouldn't removing the camera everytime you fly the drone be stressful to the connections/mount? I calibrate before I fly since I usually fly over new areas in excess of 50+ away from main base (home).

I don’t see the need to remove the camera except for when you need to perform a compass calibration. It doesn’t need to be done before each flight.

After the initial compass calibration I only do a compass calibration when I’m a few hundred miles away from when I did the last compass calibration. Or, if I see compass errors that last more than a second or two.

I have seen compass errors when I’m near metal, buried pipes and concrete with lots of rebar in it.

If there’s a question about a performing a compass calibration due to a compass error I see doing a calibration as cheap insurance.

Good as a place as any for this...

As shown on this declination map, East - West travel will create a greater need to re-calibrate the compass than North - South travel. The exceptions are the farther NW and NE areas of the US. Of course, pilots outside of the areas of this map, should refer to declination maps in their own area.

Last edited:
Also it should be noted here... to complete successfully, all calibrations require a re-boot of the H... compass and accelerometer do this automatically... however, when you calibrate the gimbal, the H must be manually cycled off and on to complete the process.

Excellent @Eagle's Eye Video - a great graphic that has meaning. Most of my trips are more east-west than north-south over the last couple of years. I mostly range between the Appalachian mountains and the NC and SC coasts.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

Excellent @Eagle's Eye Video - a great graphic that has meaning. Most of my trips are more east-west than north-south over the last couple of years. I mostly range between the Appalachian mountains and the NC and SC coasts.

Thanks for sharing this!!!
Very welcome, amigo... the more I look at that map, the more it intrigues me... Road trip from Detroit to Miami... Buffalo to the NC Outer Banks... Megatrip from San Diego to Yellowstone, with stops in Las Vegas and Salt Lake... all potentially with no compass calibration needed.

Last edited:
Website
www.youtube.com
I don’t see the need to remove the camera except for when you need to perform a compass calibration. It doesn’t need to be done before each flight.

After the initial compass calibration I only do a compass calibration when I’m a few hundred miles away from when I did the last compass calibration. Or, if I see compass errors that last more than a second or two.

I have seen compass errors when I’m near metal, buried pipes and concrete with lots of rebar in it.

If there’s a question about a performing a compass calibration due to a compass error I see doing a calibration as cheap insurance.
I always remove the camera. I consider the H a pretty fragile machine and it eats me up seeing and hearing the poor gimbal trying to compensate for what it probably senses the H is doing barrel rolls in flight. :p I also take the props off so they don't hit my arms as I spin the H. I don't know if there are any ill effects of not having the camera connected when doing a compass calibration. Are there any?

I always remove the camera. I consider the H a pretty fragile machine and it eats me up seeing and hearing the poor gimbal trying to compensate for what it probably senses the H is doing barrel rolls in flight. :p I also take the props off so they don't hit my arms as I spin the H. I don't know if there are any ill effects of not having the camera connected when doing a compass calibration. Are there any?
The general consensus around here, has best practice to be exactly that... no props, no camera... face N and complete in under 30 seconds with smooth fluid movements... standard uptone confirms completion. D U N

Good seeing you @m5zealot ... have you dared to try the Jan 2018 CGO3 app on the ActionGrip yet?

Last edited:
Here are some good videos on performing the calibrations. Feel free to add your favorite videos on this topic.

Notes:
- conventional wisdom suggests removing the camera before compass calibration. It saves the gimbal a lot of stress.

- Although not a calibration, conventional wisdom is to allow the H to sit without props rotating for 13-15 minutes to allow the GPS to populate or update the GPS almanac. If you haven't flown in weeks its probably a good idea to do this again.

What Does Time to First Fix (TTFF) Mean?

What Is a GPS Almanac?

How GPS Drone Navigation Works - Drone Omega

How Do Drones Work And What Is Drone Technology

P.S. in discussing the IMU the "magnetometer" is a compass.

Typhoon H Compass Calibration Steps And Calibration Not Working Tips

Thanks for all these great tips I'm going to read read and read, and do do do to try to be safe.

I also consider it very fragile.
Keith Kuhn

Wouldn't removing the camera everytime you fly the drone be stressful to the connections/mount? I calibrate before I fly since I usually fly over new areas in excess of 50+ away from main base (home).
No need to calibrate every time you fly if you originally performed a good cal and didn't travel far from that location. By far I mean less than 100 miles or so. If you didn't cross over a magnetic declination line the previous calibration would remain valid. In fact, performing repeated calibrations could end up detrimental if the calibration failed and you did not notice the failure.

Removing the gimbal periodically is a good idea if for nothing else than to clean the contacts. Moisture in the air causes contact corrosion to occur, which reduces connectivity.

Website
www.jcommstudios.com

Good as a place as any for this...

As shown on this declination map, East - West travel will create a greater need to re-calibrate the compass than North - South travel. The exceptions are the farther NW and NE areas of the US. Of course, pilots outside of the areas of this map, should refer to declination maps in their own area.
Oddly enough I just traveled from Central California, through Oregon and up to Central Washington. I flew the Smith River at the Oregon Border and then again in Washington. I put the H up in each location to see if was at all squirreley and needed calibration. Solid as a rock even though I was 700 miles from my base location and its last calibration. I was amazed!

Hi! I still haven't gotten my H, so I can't say anything about whether to always calibrate the compass or not. However, almost everyday I have to use my GPS on my Note 8 and Note 4, and I noticed that occasionally they lose GPS signal. Maybe for a minute or so before the phone can lock in again. Hold on to that for a moment...

Yesterday was the lunar eclipse event. Cloudy conditions, so I disabled the alarm for 3am since it's just gonna be a waste of effort. Woke up again at 0515h, went out and can't see the moon. Out of curiosity, I opened Skyview on my note 8 to look up its position, then discovered that the compass is way off by almost 180°! N is S and vice versa. I last used the app 2 days ago when I was pointing out mars, jupiter and saturn to my kid, had to calibrate that time also. So if I am experiencing frequent gps signal loss and compass errors on my phone, all the more so on a drone! At least driving around my car won't suddenly veer off and do a drive-away.

So I guess it is really a MUST to make sure compass is calibrated and you have GPS lock before spooling up the motors. Especially if you are within an urban area with lots of interference from routers to cell sites to radio transmitters and electric sub stations. Also it's a must to have a printed checklist to preflight the drone. Pilots do it, must have a very good reason why.

Just my 2 cents worth.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramjam60