Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How To: Usage Compilation — Calibrations - Advanced Functions

rdonson

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Here are some good videos on performing the calibrations. Feel free to add your favorite videos on this topic.

Notes:
- conventional wisdom suggests removing the camera before compass calibration. It saves the gimbal a lot of stress.

- Although not a calibration, conventional wisdom is to allow the H to sit without props rotating for 13-15 minutes to allow the GPS to populate or update the GPS almanac. If you haven't flown in weeks its probably a good idea to do this again.

What Does Time to First Fix (TTFF) Mean?

What Is a GPS Almanac?

How GPS Drone Navigation Works - Drone Omega

How Do Drones Work And What Is Drone Technology

P.S. in discussing the IMU the "magnetometer" is a compass.

Typhoon H Compass Calibration Steps And Calibration Not Working Tips

Last edited:
Wouldn't removing the camera everytime you fly the drone be stressful to the connections/mount? I calibrate before I fly since I usually fly over new areas in excess of 50+ away from main base (home).

I don’t see the need to remove the camera except for when you need to perform a compass calibration. It doesn’t need to be done before each flight.

After the initial compass calibration I only do a compass calibration when I’m a few hundred miles away from when I did the last compass calibration. Or, if I see compass errors that last more than a second or two.

I have seen compass errors when I’m near metal, buried pipes and concrete with lots of rebar in it.

If there’s a question about a performing a compass calibration due to a compass error I see doing a calibration as cheap insurance.

2015-Declination-Maps-W1.jpg

Good as a place as any for this...

As shown on this declination map, East - West travel will create a greater need to re-calibrate the compass than North - South travel. The exceptions are the farther NW and NE areas of the US. Of course, pilots outside of the areas of this map, should refer to declination maps in their own area.

Last edited:
Also it should be noted here... to complete successfully, all calibrations require a re-boot of the H... compass and accelerometer do this automatically... however, when you calibrate the gimbal, the H must be manually cycled off and on to complete the process.

Excellent @Eagle's Eye Video - a great graphic that has meaning. Most of my trips are more east-west than north-south over the last couple of years. I mostly range between the Appalachian mountains and the NC and SC coasts.

Thanks for sharing this!!!

These videos cover some of the advanced functions of the Typhoon H Series... Cruise Control and Autonomous Flight Programming: CCC, POI, Orbit Me, Follow Me.

This first video by our own @Ty Pilot , on Cruise Control with the D pads:

and this video by @CAPTAINDRONE

The following video tutorial by @TyPilot covers Curved Cable Cam

this video by Jeff Sibelius @sibelius:

Last edited:
Our own @Fan Tho Mass has these videos on POI, Orbit Me and Follow Me... he is able to provide the info despite YouTube's subpar CC translation algorithm:

POI

Orbit Me

Follow Me

Though like many, he has less success with the wizard

Last edited:
Reactions: Racepro60
Also, when you're in CCC and the path comes too close to an obstacle, you can switch to "home" to stop the CCC, then switch to "angle" to manually fly around the obstacle.
Of course you could tap the "exit" function on the screen, but looking down & finding it takes time.
When observing a CCC flight, my finger is on the mode switch, where a quick down & up will stop and hover.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval