Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Catch Takeoff?

Reaction score
Website
camdan.me
I've heard of catch landings, but is it possible to do a catch take-off if there isn't a suitable place to set the drone? (For example, if the ground is covered in snow, dust, etc.)

If so, does anyone have any tips to do it properly/with minimal risk to you and the drone?

For the Hex series hand catch has been above head height and grab hold of one of the landing gear close to the body of the aircraft.

To do the reverse you would want to have the aircraft above your head and level when you arm the motors. On launch you would want to give it full throttle and release as soon as it starts to lift. It might be better to use a roll of carpet for launch. You could roll it out to keep snow and dirt out of the aircraft.

Are catch takeoffs potentially dangerous? (i.e. could the drone randomly shut off it's motors cause it's at full throttle and it's not climbing, so it goes into some sort of self-preservation mode)

If you want to test that theory weight the landing gear down while the aircraft is on the ground and throttle up.

With the H Plus you only have a few seconds to take off after arming the motors. If you leave them at idle speed the aircraft will disarm the motors.

The biggest issue with trying to hand launch is keeping the aircraft level after you arm the motors and start to launch.

Smaller drones like the Mantis or DJI Mavic series are easier to hand launch due to their smaller size.

Reactions: Mike Irish
The biggest issue with trying to hand launch is keeping the aircraft level after you arm the motors and start to launch.
Is it vital that the aircraft remain level? When I set it on the ground and takeoff like that, it's not always perfectly level, and the aircraft handles it fine... (Should I not be doing that?)

Actually, hand catch and launch are something we do ALL the time. We live and travel on a large sailboat, and when launching from the the boat at sea, there simply is not a viable alternative.

We find the H+ to be MUCH easier to launch and catch than the smaller quads. Your hands are much further away from the props, and it is a lot safer for the fingers. My wife much prefers catching the H+ by the landing gear to the Magic Air by the body.

For one person, the launch is tough, but with a bit of contortion it can be done. For two people, it’s a piece of cake. The “Launcher” simply holds the landing gear at arm’s length, the pilot arms the props, and then throttles up. “Launcher” simply lets go of the landing gear when the drone starts to lift. It’s easy.

Catching is even easier. Just grab, and hold on while the pilot powers down. If you feel the need, reach up for it over your head, but that means it is closer to you in a horizontal direction. We don’t worry about it. With a pair of firm hands on the landing gear, it’s not going to go out of control.

Just to be safe, it is a good idea to wear a face shield or goggles just in case something should go pear shaped.

• Love
Reactions: DoomMeister
Would love to see a small video clip of the hand launch (and hand catch). It would make a nice item in a sticky thread.

So would i. I do it if it starts to get slightly windy before landing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis