Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CCC Question

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed. I have searched all over and can't find the info I'm looking for.

A friend of mine is having a house built and I offered to take time lapse photos of the construction. Am I able to make the CCC take a photo at each waypoint? Or do I have to record a video and take frames from each angle that I want?

I'm sure someone will ask, so... Yes, I have a 107. And yes, this has been discussed with the contractor.

I don't think you can do this. However, why not push the still photo button at each waypoint? I know it's not automated, but wouldn't it achieve the same thing? Actually, I would love it if I am wrong, because I have a need for automated photos too.

Because I don't know if it will stop at the waypoints to take a photo. It takes a few seconds to record a photos, so snapping one while it's moving will cause blur and won't be at the same place every single time I return. I would go test it, but it's raining.

Maybe I can just make a bunch of saved routes with just 1 waypoint in each one. Go to route #1, snap a photo, then go to route #2 and snap a photo, and so on.

The CCC function is independent of the camera, meaning; you can use the camera just as before. So, you can either shoot video along the route, you could set up an interval like 5 seconds and take a picture every 5 seconds or just let it run the route an manually snap a pic.

However, be advised that if shooting DNG+JPEG the fastest time between shot possible is about six seconds. Also keep in mind that as the craft is transitioning along the course the camera is to so you may not have perfect framing of the subject with every picture but that all depends on how you set the waypoints and camera position up. Also keep in mind that you can store a CCC mission and run it on different days, however we have see that as the missions run the height can vary and typically there can be a reduction of height on subsequent runs.

Reactions: TurboDad81
Because I don't know if it will stop at the waypoints to take a photo. It takes a few seconds to record a photos, so snapping one while it's moving will cause blur and won't be at the same place every single time I return. I would go test it, but it's raining.

Actually it take six seconds to write the data to the SD card the picture exposure is recorded instantly. When ever shooting photos, do not use an ND filter but rather let the camera run the highest shutter speed possible, while at the same time learn to slow the CCC mission down.

Thanks Ty. I have seen people reporting different heights. I'm going to try to set it up far enough away that you can't really tell. What do you think about setting up a route with just 2 waypoints? Take a photo at each point, then go to the next route with 2 waypoints.

If it were me and my aim was to get a series of pictures of the construction as it progresses from several or many different locations I would probably do it differently.

I would place markers around the property - waypoints on the ground that are not to be touched throughout the construction. When it is time to take the photos, I would take off from each to a predetermined altitude - each marker could have different altitudes and you could possibly write this on each marker. In this way when you want to shoot, you take off from the mark, fly to correct altitude for that marker and you could even have an aiming point determined on the subject (house, tree, foundation or other) then turn on the center marker for the camera and bingo - you will have the most accurate set of chronological pics possible.

Reactions: AH-1G
Interesting. I kind of like that idea. I know how contractors are though. "What's this pink flag with a laminated card attached to it for?" Trash. Haha. It's a 3 acre lot on a farm, so no trees or any other points of interest around. Just a blank canvas.

Yeah I hear that, I was thinking maybe like a tent stake with a red ribbon drive flush with the ground. And for the aiming point, if you start with a slab, as the walls go up eventually you will just have to guess at the aim point but I am sure you'll figure it out. Good luck, can't wait to see the results.

But I don't see why you can't fly to the waypoints and not go to the next one until you take that picture. Once you have taken that pic, proceed to the next waypoint via the throttle.

Can you stop EXACTLY at every waypoint? If so, then I would absolutely do that. I have a feeling that's not the case though. I can stop it manually somewhere close to a waypoint, but it will never be in the same spots. Would make a really jerky time lapse.

But I don't see why you can't fly to the waypoints and not go to the next one until you take that picture. Once you have taken that pic, proceed to the next waypoint via the throttle.
CCC does not work like that. Once started it proceeds through all waypoints until the end, you change speed but you cannot stop unless you hit pause but the chance of stopping right on the waypoint every time will be challenging

Also the route you program is not the route that flies, since you usually fly a straight path from one waypoint to the next, creating a polygon. It's called CCC because it turns that polygon into a curved route... that is smoothly flown from start to finish. Both a 4 waypoint mission programmed as a square, and a 6 point mission programmed as a hexagon, will be flown as a circle.

Exactly. So, a 4 waypoint square is actually flown more in a circle. Or a square with rounded corners.

As far as I can see, this is the functional difference between CCC and an actual mapping program... with a mapping program able to fly a precision route as well as including elements, like being able to program the operations of aiming and firing the camera when needed... automating the entire process. Specifically CCC was designed to automate the flying route only, leaving the pilot free to focus on camera operations... not the entire operation.

I made an animation in my older CCC video and Eagle's Eye is correct; because the motion is continuous, the flight path acts very similar to that of a spline. If one were to do a perfect square of waypoints that started and ended on one of them, this is roughly what the flight path would look like (Red Path). You will note that the start end endpoints do not have the resultant same curvature, this is because the data preceding the start and following the finish does not require the same as the other three corners.

4Point.jpg.

Reactions: Rubik and AH-1G
DroneDeploy has a 'progress report' that does exactly what you want to do, is one of the 'actual mapping' applications Eagle's Eye mentions. The inspection is laid out on a google map on a PC using waypoionts to position the drone and POI-Points of Interest to aim the camera precisely. When the report's tested/tweaked to perfection you can fly it whenever it's needed.

DroneDeploy runs on DJI, from Mavic Spark, Air and Pro through Inspire. It might not be a popular suggestion here, but there it is.

DroneDeploy has a 'progress report' that does exactly what you want to do, is one of the 'actual mapping' applications Eagle's Eye mentions. The inspection is laid out on a google map on a PC using waypoionts to position the drone and POI-Points of Interest to aim the camera precisely. When the report's tested/tweaked to perfection you can fly it whenever it's needed.

DroneDeploy runs on DJI, from Mavic Spark, Air and Pro through Inspire. It might not be a popular suggestion here, but there it is.
I don't think that's compatible with the H Plus though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval