Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Center Drift in Orbit and PoI Modes.

Reaction score
Check this out, crew...

The first clip here is the first time I ever tried Orbit Mode, hence why we're all looking suitably pensive and worried...

The second clip was from earlier today, 40 flights later where we have enough confidence in the craft to throw terrible rock shapes while it orbits us...

In the 3rd clip, I'm trying PoI, and I have very carefully set my center point to be exactly over, and half way along the hay bale thing...

All of my center points drift off during the course of the task, never seriously, or to the point to which the subject disappears off the screen, but it's never quite centered properly. I'll grant you, in that 3rd clip it started off with the hay bales slightly off to the right, but shouldn't the camera take its yaw from the center point I set, or at least remain constant, which it doesn't in any of the 3 times I have tried this.

In all other modes the craft flies predictably, smoothly and is very well behaved - it can do perfect straight lines, and fly in perfect circles, and there was no loss of GPS for the entire session, so why won't my focus stay center ?! :) Annoyingly I can't remember what my gimbal modes were doing. Anyone have any ideas / experiencing similar - only the ones I see on Youtube are mostly perfect !

It's a matter of HDOP (horizontal accuracy) in both the H and the st16.
The satellites near the horizon contribute most to a low HDOP.
The nearby hills can shadow the lowest angle satellites.
The overhead satellites will be strong, but the low ones can come & go until you're up 100 ft or more..
To verify, fly a few minutes, then RTL to measure how GPS drift affects the landing spot.
I average 3 to 10 feet.

Regarding the POI segment. From what I saw, I'd say that is fairly typical of what can be achieved with the H. Normally, when I do a POI I usually have a little more altitude.

Interestingly, and not entirely off topic, I tried to do a POI the other day over an ancient henge and the aircraft just wouldn't do it at all. I set the centre and flew out to the distance I wanted and when I tried to initiate it wouldn't. Bringing the aircraft closer to me I could see that the rear led was flashing green and purple!!! Er...what? The aircraft was dithering between Angle and Smart although the switch was in Angle. Several quick toggles between Angle and Smart resolved the issue but I don't recall ever seeing that ever mentioned on this forum. Something to be aware of guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval