Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ antenna mod

Reaction score
This is an experiment. That's what I call it when I don't know if it will work.
Many time I have to launch near trees.
Please reply if you have tried something like this.

I cut a notch in the shell and pulled the antenna outside.
Ground clearance is close, so I couldn't pull it out very far.
If there is no range improvement, I'll just tuck it back inside.

EDIT: Well it's more trouble than I expected.
Ground clearance is easy to deal with, but tilt down clearance was problematic.
Straight down views get shaky.
I may fiddle with it some more, but for know it's tucked back in.

FILE0069.JPGFILE0070.JPGFILE0071.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting. I've done this to toy drones and toy cars, It did help with the range. But those were 2.4GHZ radio. Not wifi.

The technique works and was tried shortly after the H was first released. Some claimed more video range, others didn’t notice any difference. If you’re careful when you remove it from under the cover it doesn’t hurt anything.

It helps

Attachments

• 20181110_012323.jpg
    20181110_012323.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • 20181109_205519.jpg
    20181109_205519.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • 20181109_200649.jpg
    20181109_200649.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
I have seen pictures of people putting pieces of pool noodles over the foam landing gear pads to give them more ground clearance after doing this modification.

I've changed it, now it runs along the bottom of the camera sticks out the front. the problem was the wind was catching it. in the st16 I replaced all the coax and added ferrite chokes to all the power Leeds and replace the cheap fans

Attachments

• 20181215_091236.jpg
    20181215_091236.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 84
Reactions: Sureshot
I've changed it, now it runs along the bottom of the camera sticks out the front. the problem was the wind was catching it. in the st16 I replaced all the coax and added ferrite chokes to all the power Leeds and replace the cheap fans
Wow - That's an ST16 +++!

• Haha
Reactions: KellyR
I have seen pictures of people putting pieces of pool noodles over the foam landing gear pads to give them more ground clearance after doing this modification.
I thought about pool noodles for ground clearance, but it looks like a trade-off with fitting in the backpack.
The forecast is for good flying weather after tomorrow, so I'll get to try it.

I thought about pool noodles for ground clearance, but it looks like a trade-off with fitting in the backpack.
The forecast is for good flying weather after tomorrow, so I'll get to try it.
It fits in the backpack and clears the ground.

Attachments

• 20181215_104207.jpg
    20181215_104207.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 20181215_104149.jpg
    20181215_104149.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: Sureshot
do you get a quicker connection to the st16 and camera with this mode ???
I wouldn't think so, you would be in close proximity to the Typhoon, Software and weather conditions would play a bigger part

If done properly, tilting it down is great idea. As you seem to have figured out -but others may not know, the doughnut shape of the antenna's propagation pattern operates best when orientated straight down (or straight up when on the ST16) so it can transmit on a horizontal plane. It works okay in stock form but tilted forward is less than ideal, as you point away and get some distance the signal will be lost sooner. This is especially true if the pilot is on high ground and is flying downward from a hilltop or cliff into a valley. The receiving antenna on the ST16 is then looking thru the doughnut hole of the antenna's pattern as you fly away, where the signal is the very weakest.

If done properly, tilting it down is great idea. As you seem to have figured out -but others may not know, the doughnut shape of the antenna's propagation pattern operates best when orientated straight down (or straight up when on the ST16) so it can transmit on a horizontal plane. It works okay in stock form but tilted forward is less than ideal, as you point away and get some distance the signal will be lost sooner. This is especially true if the pilot is on high ground and is flying downward from a hilltop or cliff into a valley. The receiving antenna on the ST16 is then looking thru the doughnut hole of the antenna's pattern as you fly away, where the signal is the very weakest.
That's why I used the axii antenna it has a really low gain of 1.6dbi. Less donut shape

Reactions: DCH
BUT, When you tilt your camera down the antenna angle and pattern changes 90 degrees.

Yes, you are right. But you are moving the doughnut hole and weakest signal point 90 degrees when you tilt the camera down..
Look up the axii antenna pattern, look at the angle I have it on my camera. I didn't just randomly mount this. I just didn't discover antennas doing this hobby I've been work with antennas for a long time, by trade. Yes I understand angle change, at no point is the center pointing at me.

Reactions: thoneter
It's a circular polarized antenna
How does Polarization come into play in this discussion? Polarization and Propagation pattern (0rentation & Direction) are two completely different properties of an antenna. This is confusing because a circular polarized antenna does not have an omni directional propagation pattern. Circular polarized antennas are directional.

Look up the axii antenna pattern,
It would also be helpful if you posted a link to/or image of the Axii antenna pattern for us to examine, I can't easily find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Hennessy
How does Polarization come into play in this discussion? Polarization and Propagation pattern (0rentation & Direction) are two completely different properties of an antenna. This is confusing because a circular polarized antenna does not have an omni directional propagation pattern. Circular polarized antennas are directional.

It would also be helpful if you posted a link to/or image of the Axii antenna pattern for us to examine, I can't easily find it.
He talked about changing the orientation of the antenna 90° polarization would have everything to do with this discussion

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech