Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

cgo3+ External antenna Mod

Reaction score
Has anyone done an external antenna mod to the cgo3+ ?
This looks legit!

Attachments

• 28FBA342-5DFF-458C-BAFD-CE4B06E13EAA.jpeg
    28FBA342-5DFF-458C-BAFD-CE4B06E13EAA.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 7A261530-0AF4-4BDF-A69B-2DDB0547A632.jpeg
    7A261530-0AF4-4BDF-A69B-2DDB0547A632.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 39
Nope. Pop the black cover off the camera and things become blatantly obvious. Living on the edge is exhilarating[emoji6]

Simpler to pop the front cover off the camera and hang the antenna out the front. File a groove for the cable in the cover and put it back on.
I agree. I can see the potential for restricting the movement of the gimbal with the posted mod. I'm always leery of any mod that is not accompanied with testing. There is no demonstration the mod provides any improvement in the video signal. In addition, the U.fl coax connector inside the camera is sandwiched between 2 boards so it is a bit difficult to remove.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I agree. I can see the potential for restricting the movement of the gimbal with the posted mod. I'm always leery of any mod that is not accompanied with testing. There is no demonstration the mod provides any improvement in the video signal. In addition, the U.fl coax connector inside the camera is sandwiched between 2 boards so it is a bit difficult to remove.

Your post is even more interesting

I’m going to give this a try, not sure if it will make a difference but it surely will not hurt. I just get tired of loosing video signal if I turn my camera towards me. Typically I can go 2000 plus feet with the camera facing away with no video issues whatsoever but if I turn the camera it pixelates and the screen freezes.

Moved the antenna on my CGO3+ to the outside and found a real improvement in stability of connection. Where I normally fly range hasn't really been an issue but low altitude or changing orientation of the TH while out over 1500ft would always cause problems. Nothing horrible, just video drops that would sometimes take too long to pick up again. Or, in worst case scenarios require a landing and restart.

Without the mod flying past 1200 feet away at under 40ft altitude was a no go over my farm ponds. With the antenna moved it's rock solid to 2000ft at 30ft altitude. Could go further but I lose vlos.

In range testing before moving the antenna 3000ft over the fields is no problem with correct orientation of the TH and an altitude over 130ft. Hit RTH and the video drops every time. With the antenna moved there's no drop, ever. Haven't gone past 3000ft and don't intend to.

It's a simple change and if you're conscientious about where you relocate the antenna it's no problem to avoid gimbal contact in the down position. Just move it, notch the camera body and lens bezel, and apply a little finger pressure to form a bend in the coaxial. You'll also need to notch the gimbal guard.

Told ya so[emoji6][emoji106]

As delivered, the orientation of the clover leaf cannot provide the best radiation towards the ST-16.

It’s for the same reason most DIY builders orient their video antennas vertically, either upright or inverted.

Moved the antenna on my CGO3+ to the outside and found a real improvement in stability of connection. Where I normally fly range hasn't really been an issue but low altitude or changing orientation of the TH while out over 1500ft would always cause problems. Nothing horrible, just video drops that would sometimes take too long to pick up again. Or, in worst case scenarios require a landing and restart.

Without the mod flying past 1200 feet away at under 40ft altitude was a no go over my farm ponds. With the antenna moved it's rock solid to 2000ft at 30ft altitude. Could go further but I lose vlos.

In range testing before moving the antenna 3000ft over the fields is no problem with correct orientation of the TH and an altitude over 130ft. Hit RTH and the video drops every time. With the antenna moved there's no drop, ever. Haven't gone past 3000ft and don't intend to.

It's a simple change and if you're conscientious about where you relocate the antenna it's no problem to avoid gimbal contact in the down position. Just move it, notch the camera body and lens bezel, and apply a little finger pressure to form a bend in the coaxial. You'll also need to notch the gimbal guard.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Just so I’m clear you used the existing antenna inside the cgo3+?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430