Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGOET + SAR use and night flight waiver issues

Reaction score
The IR component of the CGOET will allow for a qualitative analysis of heat sources. Simply stated this IR camera will allow the pilot to see the difference in thermal intensity of a heat source as compared to the surrounding temperature sources. That said when using this sensor package to help identify humans who are not where they were intended to be or incapacitated or what ever the reason......think SAR missions, it would be advantageous to have the legal permission to fly at night.

If your objective is to find a 98.6F heat source or lower, think wearing insulated clothing or even deceased, as opposed to the surrounding earth composition, then your advantage would be to fly a nighttime, preferably early morning mission. This is when the surrounding area will be most cooled and allow for a higher level of temperature contrast in your search. Most often in a SAR mission time is of the essence and getting the ability to have your flight route created and then permitted by the FAA in a quick manner, would greatly improve your odds for success.

Whereas the other most likely use of this sensor would be in discovering points of elevated heat sources produced by friction or electrical resistance or impedance anomalies. These industrial inspections are not as often time sensitive from a scheduling perspective. And generally speaking these type of inspections will most often result in detecting a large difference in a source of heat generated than the surrounding equipment temperature values.

With that in mind I have recently become aware of an article which explains the procedure a pilot in charge could take to apply for a night time flight waiver from the FAA. I am sure that most uSAS pilots who are routinely involved with SAR activity will already have some sort of communication path established with the FAA to address this issue. Although I am not currently involved in SAR activity, I can only assume that those of you who are will appreciate this article. It is also my belief that the FAA will be requested for more and more SAR flights using drones within the confines of National Park Boundaries.

Here is the link -
How to Fly Your Drone at Night: Applying for a Part 107 Daylight Operations Waiver | Drone Pilot Ground School

As far as disclaimer is concerned, I am by no means involved with this referenced website and have no financial stake what so ever with them. I do use this website as a source for uSAS oriented information.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430