Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charging the st16 via other sources

Reaction score
Can i charge the st16 using say an in-car usb socket? Whats the safe max voltage? Any advice on charging it other than from the default charger?
Thanks.

I use a standard USB phone charger to do mine...

It charges on 5V USB power. You can actually extend use in the field with a 5V USB power brick and keep it charging while in use.

That is correct. That is the output from the USB port on the OEM charger sent with the TH or TH Pro.

Reactions: hueman
The charge is at 1.5A , so is better with a 2A phone charger, if you want the best result.

As the battery is a single cell 3.6v, 8700mA lithium ion, ideally we want to charge one at the same input voltage, however the battery protection circuit built into the battery compensates for slightly higher voltage input. The lithium ion cell design is such that best charge rates are performed at less than 1C, with ~0.7C being ideal. The battery protection circuit also limits input when higher charge rates are used by terminating the charge cycle when excess heat from a high charge rate is generated. Higher amperage charge rates generate more heat so the protection circuit will terminate the charge before a battery has been fully charged. Under those conditions a li-on battery will indicate it was fully charged at the end of the charge cycle but will not have reached full capacity.

Most all cell phone and tablet chargers are rated 2A or less, which is less than 0.7C, and work just fine for performing a faster charge than the factory charger.

Last edited:
5V at 3A will charge the ST16, but if the ST16 is turned on at the same time, it will want more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33