Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Chroma battery problems

Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some light on a problem i have with Chroma batteries. After flying for 20 minutes in the cold then returning indoors, all my batteries after being fully charged for over 4 hours each, all of them when attached give a warning on my controller that they are under 10.2 volt and i am unable to gain lift due to the low voltage. I tried letting them run down to full discharge then recharge but have same problem.

Cold temperatures can damage your batteries. When they become very cold, the electrolyte might freeze and damage the electrodes. Furthermore a cold battery has a severely reduced power output. Therefore even small currents might damage your battery. It is very important to always keep them warm especially before flying. I would not recommend using a battery which is colder than 14°C (57.2°F).

I suggest that you check each individual cell for its voltage. A damaged battery usually tends to have huge voltage differences between each cell. If the difference is <=0.03V when fully charged the battery is more or less worn out but it should be safe to use. If the difference is >0.1V when fully discharged it indicates that some cells are pretty much done and will not be able to handle the power anymore.

It's important also to know how did you maintain your batteries when not in use: Fully charged (bad) ? Discharged (bad) ? In storage (good)?
Did you keep batteries unused for long time?
LIPO batteries should be "refreshed" at least every two months, this means recharge, use and then back in storage.
This to give chemistry opportunity of not became inactive.
Do you recharge them with the Standard charger or are you using a third-party one?
Can you measure internal resistance?
Just for information, are them OEM batteries or not?

Last edited:
Thank you guys.. all 4 batteries have been located in house and were fine before the real cold arrived here in Canada. I use the charger it comes with but can now no longer get them to reach the constant green, charge complete phase, no matter how long they are charged for. When connected to drone they are showing a maximum of 11.2v as soon as props are started this reduces to 10.8-10.6 and aircraft voltage low warning comes on which does not allow any flight time. I am not savvy with how to find out the result of your suggestions so will have to get the friend i bought them off to come and aid me...thank you and will be in touch soon.

Hi again all. I went to my local hobby shop with my battery and charger. I am informed that the Chroma charger has a built in safety device that will not charge the batteries if they are damaged. It appears that the batteries are "puffed up" and this is why the charger just sits blinking red and green as if balancing. Thank you all for your help and im now having to buy new batteries..

Reactions: Pier2162

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop