Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

City Of Trees

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The other day I did an aerial 'photo shoot for an environment group called Friends of Crompton Moor to take some pictures of marks on some moorland. However, there was some tree planting going on by a group called Manchester City Of Trees who where working in collaboration with Friends of Crompton Moor. My brief was to take some aerial shots of the markings and also try to get a few shots of the tree planting. I did that and have supplied the pictures to the client.

However, Once I had my pictures I sent my aircraft off to take some video. Here is the result.

The other day I did an aerial 'photo shoot for an environment group called Friends of Crompton Moor to take some pictures of marks on some moorland. However, there was some tree planting going on by a group called Manchester City Of Trees who where working in collaboration with Friends of Crompton Moor. My brief was to take some aerial shots of the markings and also try to get a few shots of the tree planting. I did that and have supplied the pictures to the client.

However, Once I had my pictures I sent my aircraft off to take some video. Here is the result.

Flush,

Looks like you had yourself a little fun while you were working. Flying, any flying, is fun, right! [emoji41]

Nice to see more of your world. Hope your “Friends” appreciate your efforts.

Jeff

Reactions: FlushVision
Flush,

Looks like you had yourself a little fun while you were working. Flying, any flying, is fun, right! [emoji41]

Nice to see more of your world. Hope your “Friends” appreciate your efforts.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I like flying there. Lots of history on Crompton Moor so I'm always pleased when Friends of Crompton Moor request my services. Without them it would not be possible to fly there without the local authorities being all over me.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
An update.
The above video was shot just two days ago while Manchester City Of Trees were planting hundreds of trees on the moor. I was tasked to take pictures of it (and also that [crop] mark). Just two days later it's all been destroyed or is being destroyed as I write this. My son took this picture less than half a hour ago showing it all going up in flames.moor fire.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Auburnweedkiller
An update.
The above video was shot just two days ago while Manchester City Of Trees were planting hundreds of trees on the moor. I was tasked to take pictures of it (and also that [crop] mark). Just two days later it's all been destroyed or is being destroyed as I write this. My son took this picture less than half a hour ago showing it all going up in flames.View attachment 15500

What happened?

To answer your questions @NorWiscPilot @AH-1G @thetrecker

@thetrecker What looks like alien crop markings, I'm told, are actually part of a fire-break system to help prevent the spread of fire on the moor. Didn't work very well it seems.

@AH-1G Over the last week or so, Manchester City Of Trees have been planting hundreds of trees in the area and the plan is that up to 5000 trees are to be planted over the coming weeks. Unfortunately, there seems to be a minority that are out to spoil it all. There was another fire up there last weekend in an area not shown in my above video (I avoided capturing that damage). It would seem that there is a faction that would like to thwart all the good work that Friends of Crompton Moor and Manchester City Of Trees are doing to improve our countryside. This morning all that I can smell outside is the smoke coming from the now extinguished fire.

@NorWiscPilot As above. Over the years that area has been blighted by off-road motorcyclists who often succeed in getting their vehicles up on to the moor. The Secretary and volunteer rangers that I spoke to on Thursday while I was up there to take pictures were saying that some fires are set deliberately by these motorcyclists so that they can continue to scramble their bikes on the moor...it's hard to ride a motorbike through tightly packed trees.

Most, if not all, fires up there are set deliberately. The friends of the moor do their best to tackle the problems up there but I fear they are loosing the battle. I emailed the Secretary of Friend of Crompton Moor last night when I saw the fire (the fire brigade were already en-route) to tell her it was on fire (again). I imagine that they will be contacting me again in the next few days to do a survey flight to assess the damage:(

Last edited:
To answer your questions @NorWiscPilot @AH-1G @thetrecker

@thetrecker What looks like alien crop markings, I'm told, are actually part of a fire-break system to help prevent the spread of fire on the moor. Didn't work very well it seems.

@AH-1G Over the last week or so, Manchester City Of Trees have been planting hundreds of trees in the area and the plan is that up to 5000 trees are to be planted over the coming weeks. Unfortunately, there seems to be a minority that are out to spoil it all. There was another fire up there last weekend in an area not shown in my above video (I avoided capturing that damage). It would seem that there is a faction that would like to thwart all the good work that Friends of Crompton Moor and Manchester City Of Trees are doing to improve our countryside. This morning all that I can smell outside is the smoke coming from the now extinguished fire.

@NorWiscPilot As above. Over the years that area has been blighted by off-road motorcyclists who often succeed in getting their vehicles up on to the moor. The Secretary and volunteer rangers that I spoke to on Thursday while I was up there to take pictures were saying that some fires are set deliberately by these motorcyclists so that they can continue to scramble their bikes on the moor...it's hard to ride a motorbike through tightly packed trees.

Most, if not all, fires up there are set deliberately. The friends of the moor do their best to tackle the problems up there but I fear they are loosing the battle. I emailed the Secretary of Friend of Crompton Moor last night when I saw the fire (the fire brigade were already en-route) to tell her it was on fire (again). I imagine that they will be contacting me again in the next few days to do a survey flight to assess the damage:(
was wondering if it was deliberate the few spoil it all for the rest of us they need to be caught
said you cant fly a drone up there 80 acres is common land can you not fly there ??

was wondering if it was deliberate the few spoil it all for the rest of us they need to be caught
said you cant fly a drone up there 80 acres is common land can you not fly there ??
The countryside rangers and the environmental group 'Friends of Crompton Moor' get a bit shirty with other people flying drones there. It's where there is a lot of ground nesting birds at certain times of the year so Oldham council, who ultimately manage the site, try to discourage some activities including the flying of drones. I forget what it's called but the council have put some sort of protection order on the site banning the use of things like off road vehicles, dogs not on leashes, etc.. Indeed, to be able to fly that site I had to write a safety and environment impact statement back in 2016 in order to get permission to fly there which was presented, along with a copy of my Remote Pilot's Certificate, to the council by the secretary of Friends Of Crompton Moor.

It follows, then, that as far as I know I am the only sUAS pilot that can fly there without upsetting the council or countryside rangers. Even I don't fly up there unless I notify them if they haven't asked me to do a job. That, of course, is not to say that other drone pilots don't fly there but they risk the rangers coming down on them if seen.

Before today, I've seen the rangers chase after people!!! But I don't blame them. The amount of damage caused up there by a certain minority must be heartbreaking for the volunteers.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrecker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss