Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Close call today (Five rotor mode)

Reaction score
Today, I took my H out for a quick flight to show a friend, and get a photo of his house. I prepared the aircraft as usual, and took off without a problem. However, 30 seconds into the flight, I had a 'motor failure' and the aircraft switch into '5 rotor mode'.. I then tried to land the aircraft, which was very difficult, as it didn't want to descend at all.

The rotor that was directly opposite the failed one appeared to be starting/stopping (perhaps it was just changing direction to compensate).

After 2-3 minutes of trying to land the aircraft on the ground, I gave up and 'caught' it with my hands. I immediately powered down the H, and checked to see if any of the motors felt stiff, or hand a burnt smell to them etc.. they didn't.

I then held the H above my head (by the landing gear) and instructed my friend to start the rotors, and gently try to 'lift off'.. the H responded to those commands perfectly.. Tomorrow I will try to diagnose the issue/fault further.

Is there a GUI for the H like there is for the Q500? If so, is there a Mac version available, or only Windows? (If Windows, ill have to spin up a VM or something).

Reactions: spongella
Well. Was it a real windy day?
I have had this issue when there was a brisk wind and had it do it on 2 flights. But haven't had it happen again and have put 30 or so flights on it since.
Also the motors don't spin backwards or change directions.
Yes there is a gui Goto their website and download.

The H GUI is only for Windows but works fine from a VM on the Mac using Windows. Just be aware when you connect the H to the Mac to select Windows to recognize the port.

The H is designed so that in the event of a motor failing (or a problem with a rotor) the motor on the directly opposing arm will cease to function in the normal way and in effect twitch backwards and forwards rendering no effective lift to the aircraft from that side and thus balancing out the aircraft so that a flight can continue on the remaining 4 rotors. In this sense, then, the 5 rotor mode is a bit misleading since you actually only have 4 rotors supplying effective lift to the aircraft. If it were otherwise, the aircraft wouldn't be able to continue flying since it would become terminal.

Reactions: emilereynolds
Today, I took my H out for a quick flight to show a friend, and get a photo of his house. I prepared the aircraft as usual, and took off without a problem. However, 30 seconds into the flight, I had a 'motor failure' and the aircraft switch into '5 rotor mode'.. I then tried to land the aircraft, which was very difficult, as it didn't want to descend at all.

The rotor that was directly opposite the failed one appeared to be starting/stopping (perhaps it was just changing direction to compensate).

After 2-3 minutes of trying to land the aircraft on the ground, I gave up and 'caught' it with my hands. I immediately powered down the H, and checked to see if any of the motors felt stiff, or hand a burnt smell to them etc.. they didn't.

I then held the H above my head (by the landing gear) and instructed my friend to start the rotors, and gently try to 'lift off'.. the H responded to those commands perfectly.. Tomorrow I will try to diagnose the issue/fault further.

Is there a GUI for the H like there is for the Q500? If so, is there a Mac version available, or only Windows? (If Windows, ill have to spin up a VM or something).

Get your Typhoon H GUI Here: Downloads Typhoon H

I connected my H to my computer with the Yuneec USB cable. In the program there is a Edit pull down and in that there is a "Connect Ways". I choose USB, no go! The only way I could get it to work was to select Serial Port. Even then it took some fiddling, plug/unplug, start/restart program.

Last edited:
Well. Was it a real windy day?
I have had this issue when there was a brisk wind and had it do it on 2 flights. But haven't had it happen again and have put 30 or so flights on it since.
Also the motors don't spin backwards or change directions.
Yes there is a gui Goto their website and download.
No, it wasn't a windy day at all.. if you say a prop can't change direction, then that means I had a SECOND rotor failing... no wonder i couldn't get it to land, or move in any decent manner..

The H is designed so that in the event of a motor failing (or a problem with a rotor) the motor on the directly opposing arm will cease to function in the normal way and in effect twitch backwards and forwards rendering no effective lift to the aircraft from that side and thus balancing out the aircraft so that a flight can continue on the remaining 4 rotors. In this sense, then, the 5 rotor mode is a bit misleading since you actually only have 4 rotors supplying effective lift to the aircraft. If it were otherwise, the aircraft wouldn't be able to continue flying since it would become terminal.
Ok, that makes sense.. certainly not something I want to experience again. I will check if i had my telemetry SD card in the ST16 (I used it the other day on a job, when I left my normal SD cards back at the office by mistake, so hopefully replaced it back into the ST16)

Ok, that makes sense.. certainly not something I want to experience again. I will check if i had my telemetry SD card in the ST16 (I used it the other day on a job, when I left my normal SD cards back at the office by mistake, so hopefully replaced it back into the ST16)
Your telemetry will be stored in the ST16 regardless of whether an SD card is inserted. Use the search button (magnifying glass icon) top right of this page for an explanation on how to get at it.

No, it wasn't a windy day at all.. if you say a prop can't change direction, then that means I had a SECOND rotor failing... no wonder i couldn't get it to land, or move in any decent manner..
The H is designed to change the direction of motor on the other side of the failure, to compensate for the lose of other motor. Confirmed through Yuneec.

The reversing prop on the opposed motor during a motor failure has been featured from the beginning of Typhoon H advertising. Be glad you had this feature, had you been flying a quad your aircraft would have crashed had a motor failed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval