Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cold Weather

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Pilot ! I fly a Q500 4K, what's the risk in Flying in cold weather ? I know the battery will not last as long, But I'm not aware of the other risks ! Temperature would be In the 20's and the wind chill in the teens, just wondering ! Thanks......

Hello Fellow Pilot ! I fly a Q500 4K, what's the risk in Flying in cold weather ? I know the battery will not last as long, But I'm not aware of the other risks ! Temperature would be In the 20's and the wind chill in the teens, just wondering ! Thanks......
I do not own a Q, I own an H. I can tell you this though, here it is beyond what you think of as to cold. I have flown at -32C ( -25F) and only lost a little of my flight time as my batteries were warm. Today is -39C (-38F), so I wont risk a flight today. Not because it is so cold, but at that temp a crash would destroy all of it beyond repair. Your 20F is only -6C, so I would fly in that temp in a blink wearing shorts. It's mostly personal preference and pre-flight risk management.

I do not own a Q, I own an H. I can tell you this though, here it is beyond what you think of as to cold. I have flown at -32C ( -25F) and only lost a little of my flight time as my batteries were warm. Today is -39C (-38F), so I wont risk a flight today. Not because it is so cold, but at that temp a crash would destroy all of it beyond repair. Your 20F is only -6C, so I would fly in that temp in a blink wearing shorts. It's mostly personal preference and pre-flight risk management.
WAAAAAAA -39C:eek:

Wow that’s cold. I flew in 16 below. It was a super cup rc plane. Pretty big, the esc were acting up if I punched the throttle. Today’s equipment can last but I would not risk it. Fingers get really slow every minute In That weather. I have never been the glove guy. I need my reactions swift. Some guys can do it. It’s -2 degree mans wind chill -20. I didn’t even think about flying lol

Thank You so much, I was wanting to Fly over some places that I couldn't get in on a regular day and Christmas was a good time for me to do it ! But I didn't want to risks any equipment ! It's better to ask and not know and to be sorry later. Thank you again, Happy Flying ! ! !

On the subject of cold weather flight, I just got a Q500 yesterday and while I am dying to try it, there is powdery snow on the ground and I am concerned over the snow getting into the motors on take off and landing.. Is this a concern? Thank you

On the subject of cold weather flight, I just got a Q500 yesterday and while I am dying to try it, there is powdery snow on the ground and I am concerned over the snow getting into the motors on take off and landing.. Is this a concern? Thank you
You have pretty much answered what you wanted to know. I would sweep away all that I could. Where I live, that light snow is over top of an already packed base, so once it is gone I am good to go. You have other options as well. You could do as others do even on a good day, and set up a card table to use as a base. A piece of plywood 4'x4' could work ( better weight than 2'x2' ). There is always going to be a small amount of moisture that could get in, but not likely. There have also been threads on here of others flying in a light rain mist.

So my best advice to you, is to start at the begining as a new user and read vs just getting told, that way you will have a better understanding from others issues. By that I am saying before you pose any question either by starting a new thread, or asking a question in a thread, always think first...."Has anyone else asked this or answered this?"....

Above every thread, there is a solid Grey colored bar. And above that and to the right of it is the magnifier icon, that is the search tool for this forum. Use it along with key search words and a pile of information will come up to keep you reading and expanding your knowledge of flying and the unit you currently own.

And finally....Welcome to your new hobby and the forum.

Thanks for the help, I did a lot of reading and I did make use of the search function and about all that I was getting was flying in falling snow and nothing much on the cautions of taking off and landing with snow on the ground. I took my leaf blower out and created a landing zone in the yard big enough that I hoped I would be able to target in on return. I had not thought about covering the snow, but I took that advice and did that as well. Too windy to go far or high but I practiced take off and landings and flying low around the yard. It's 7 degrees here so I'm not keeping it out long. Again,Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray Martz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430