Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass calibration question

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have what appears to be an unusual (or maybe not so unusual) problem popping up. When pushing the right stick in straight lines forwards backwards left or right the H goes in the desired direction but drifts left right when going forwards or backwards and vice versa if going left right. At first I thought I had a right stick issue, but I've been through that check list. However if I recalibrate the compass the drift goes away.

OK so my real question here is should I have to recalibrate at every flight (I have no problem if that's the case) but how do you get around this if where you are taking off/landing at is not suitable for a recalibrate?

Cheers for your thoughts
Chris

I had same issue recently, I re-calibrating flight controller.

You shouldn't have to do it before every flight. Only when symptoms appear like you have been getting, or when the ST-16 asks you to, or when you have moved hundreds of miles since last launch. So do you get this 'won't fly straight' business all the time, or if not, how long does a compass calibration fix it for ?

Reactions: cbphoto2006
It seems to happen for every flight just recently, it does seem to fix it for same day flights but comes back the next day. I've gone through the stick cleaning and recalibration of the st16 . And was wondering if it was worth doing a factory reset of the st16? And then a full set of recalibration then letting it sit for the full 15mins to update gps almanac Any thoughts guys?

You shouldn't have to do it before every flight. Only when symptoms appear like you have been getting, or when the ST-16 asks you to, or when you have moved hundreds of miles since last launch. So do you get this 'won't fly straight' business all the time, or if not, how long does a compass calibration fix it for ?

It seems to happen for every flight just recently, it does seem to fix it for same day flights but comes back the next day. I've gone through the stick cleaning and recalibration of the st16 . And was wondering if it was worth doing a factory reset of the st16? And then a full set of recalibration then letting it sit for the full 15mins to update gps almanac Any thoughts guys?

How are you transporting and storing your equipment? Is there any high power stereo equipment, particularly speakers, close to your equipment?

How are you transporting and storing your equipment? Is there any high power stereo equipment, particularly speakers, close to your equipment?
Hi Pat. H is stored in its case in the house, not normally near anything like that. It gets transported in its case in the boot of the car. It's really weird, this drifting even happens when using cruise control which made me think it was the sticks.

I did start to wonder if my phone could be affecting it, because I have used the WiFi to link up to the camera on the handheld gimbal. So at the moment I'm sat in a field with my WiFi turned off on my phone sitting and waiting my 15mins for GPS to update before trying again and seeing if I still have to recal the compass...

Well that did nothing... Clearly not a GPS related issue. I think I'm going to reset the st16 and go through new model and rebind.

Anyone know of any issues in doing this?

Cheers
Chris

Can you tell me then if you agree about this man's recommendation to do recalibrations of all three categories after every firmware update or whenever the software prompts it, as well as after driving hundreds of miles to a new location.

Last edited:
Can you tell me then if you agree about this man's recommendation to do recalibrations of all three categories after every software update or whenever the software prompts it, as well as after driving hundreds of miles to a new location.

No. I don't have an H plus.

My H does this occasionally but not so often for me to become concerned, and certainly not as often as your experience, @cbphoto2006 . Like you, though, a compass calibration usually fixes it and it can remain fixed for weeks. Not a stick issue. Prolly picking up a magnetic field from speakers at the back of my car as @PatR alluded to above. As I've said above, it can go weeks between occurrences so if it is speakers causing it, it may be a very mild effect caused from exactly where in my boot I put my case: A matter of inches in the placement.

Can you tell me then if you agree about this man's recommendation to do recalibrations of all three categories after every firmware update or whenever the software prompts it, as well as after driving hundreds of miles to a new location.

Yuneec have now password protected the hidden menu to stop users accessing it as of Build 822.

@cbphoto2006 ,

Have you tried doing the static accelerometer calibration, to see if it will get rid of the problem? I use the level in my iPhone to make sure I'm on a flat surface when I do the calibration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval