Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass recalibration

Reaction score
So I took my Typhoon H into the city and attempted to use it alongside the river.
But when it acquired the connection a warning window popped up stating that I should land my drone on angle mode, which was still on the ground and recalibrate my compass. Do you have to recalibrate these often or was it because I was in the city with alot iron and steel around me?

So I took my Typhoon H into the city and attempted to use it alongside the river.
But when it acquired the connection a warning window popped up stating that I should land my drone on angle mode, which was still on the ground and recalibrate my compass. Do you have to recalibrate these often or was it because I was in the city with a lot iron and steel around me?
@Blackmustang50
Most likely the steel. Steel, iron and other obstacles don't, mix well with drones.
Every once in a while I get a beige flashing light of course compass issues. I just turn it off and wait a few seconds the wala, all is good.

Now don't forget there are tons of wires, pipes running underground that can cause issues also. This is of course our underground infrastructure.
Underground primary and secondary electrical lines are very common here. (primary is usually buried about 3 feet or deeper and secondary can be 2 feet less or more depending on soil erosion) Each state code differs on depth.
Now when I think about it, Ty Pilot experienced his drone going crazy while landing after an aerial shot, I believe there was a secondary electrical line running underground.:)

Reactions: biltno
Every time you move to another new take off and land spot that’s different from the last one it s a good idea to recalibrate the compass
I am sure a few others will chime in here about that!

Reactions: PhotoGuy
Uhh, no, it’s not that great of an idea. If the system remains within the same area of magnetic declination as when it was calibrated a good calibration is still usually good. If you traveled with the aircraft next to a strong magnet, like a big woofer, then it’s a good idea to recalibrate. Generally, trips under 100 miles retain a good calibration although Yuneec suggests a lower distance.

Reactions: Roadstar30
I agree with PatR I do not calibrate every time I fly. Usually about 75 miles or more where I initially calibrated I will re-calibrate.
Currently I have 3420 + minutes of flying and roughly 228 landing and takeoffs, all with in 1.5 years. I might have re-calibrated about ehhh, 7 times?
Never any issues.:)

I agree with PatR I do not calibrate every time I fly. Usually about 75 miles or more where I initially calibrated I will re-calibrate.
Currently I have 3420 + minutes of flying and roughly 228 landing and takeoffs, all with in 1.5 years. I might have re-calibrated about ehhh, 7 times?
Never any issues.:)
Well some people are more lucky then others, I figure it really can’t hurt .

Well some people are more lucky then others, I figure it really can’t hurt .
Here's the part that can hurt. If you constantly calibrate the drone every time you fly and it involves removing the camera, you are going to prematurely wear out the the bracket that seats the camera.
just a thought to consider.;)

I guess the right reply is how was the city to where he lived?
Here's the part that can hurt. If you constantly calibrate the drone every time you fly and it involves removing the camera, you are going to prematurely wear out the the bracket that seats the camera.
just a thought to consider.;)
never said you were wrong, with as many take offs and landings you have had I could see your point
He never said how far the city was from where he started
I happen to live about 50 miles from New York City
Be sides having to major airport and tall building I don’t think I would try to fly there

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio