Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Relocation

RPR

Reaction score
My obsession, with connectivity started, a horrible Build/FW 777 and came up, my simple mod. Foiltastic
For sometime now, I have bought modules on Amazon, but ended up returning all of them. I have flown (hover) my TH Plus, where I taped my compass on the outer shell of the sUAS, and on the bench, when the compass is moved away from its current location, connectivity is gain. I strongly believe that by relocating the compass it helps gain connectivity by 30 seconds or less, instead of and minute and an excruciating seconds of waiting, with the original compass setup.

I finally found my module; I bought two of the Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Tower Adapter to test out 2 configurations. I removed the legs for my first configuration, so to keep things simple.

Here is what the module looks like.

The mod:

I don't want to send time explaining the mod. But there is my bench test. Note* I am on build/fw 784

Inside my office the TH Plus prior to mod. 0 (zero-red) Satellite and 2 (two-red) GPS.
By relocating the compass, I now have 1 (one-red) Satellite and 4 (four-red) GPS.
Outside my office, prior to mod. 5 (five - red) Satellite and 8 (eight-green) GPS. Time to acquire sat/gps connectivity is 01:55.
By relocating the compass, I now have 9 -12 (it varies) Satellites strength and 10 or 18 (it varies) GPS strength. Time to acquire sat/gps connectivity is 00:38

This is very promising, video flight report soon.

Last edited:
I like the idea its sits low and doesn't look like the Tower of Babel. My only concern is ventilation.

I like the idea its sits low and doesn't look like the Tower of Babel. My only concern is ventilation.

Ventilation is a problem, with the stock config. by relocating the compass outside the casing is beneficial, due to the unit is finally freed from excess. However, it is too early for me to draw a conclusion, but so far, I see potential.

Ventilation is a problem, with the stock config. by relocating the compass outside the casing is beneficial, due to the unit is finally freed from excess. However, it is too early for me to draw a conclusion, but so far, I see potential.
I probably would drill a couple of holes on all 4 sides (if you can) and maybe put some type of screen on the inside.

I probably would drill a couple of holes on all 4 sides (if you can) and maybe put some type of screen on the inside.

Yes, sir! We are on the same wavelength, I am doing it to the second module, and I need to find a cheaper alternative instead of buying a roll of vent screen.

Reactions: JackMTaco
Go to Home Depot and ask for a sample?

I just got back from Home Depot, after reading your reply, and I got the length that I need for free.

This looks really good and promising! Debating of modding my second H+ for this reason. Any plans to do a writeup?

I’m going to do a video soon Jack. Flew a bit on a vacant parking lot, and it’s looking connectivity is looking good. For my second test, I relocated in a mall, but did not attempt to fly. My gps was at 20 and my satellite indicated N/A. I hovered for 00:20 prepping myself for a fight (if any) for landing, due to no satellite connectivity, but sUAS landed like butter. Tried again, thinking that it was just a fluke. Recycled the power, GSP jumped to 20, N/A satellite connectivity (again) and however for a good duration of the battery (still not tempted to flew, I was mostly afraid.. lol) and the sUAS landed butter smooth.

I know my build 784!is solid, I am now flashing the sUAS to a new update and will try again.

Reactions: oldfhat
I have been careful with my reviews, because @AH-1G will be all over me. My opinion is final, I am amazed by this mod. It’s a must!!!! For all H, Plus and 520 operators.

I couldn’t restrain myself, I just had to fly and do a video report. I’ll post it later tonight.

IMG_1552183959.670591.jpg

Reactions: AH-1G
I just got back from Home Depot, after reading your reply, and I got the length that I need for free.

I’m going to do a video soon Jack. Flew a bit on a vacant parking lot, and it’s looking connectivity is looking good. For my second test, I relocated in a mall, but did not attempt to fly. My gps was at 20 and my satellite indicated N/A. I hovered for 00:20 prepping myself for a fight (if any) for landing, due to no satellite connectivity, but sUAS landed like butter. Tried again, thinking that it was just a fluke. Recycled the power, GSP jumped to 20, N/A satellite connectivity (again) and however for a good duration of the battery (still not tempted to flew, I was mostly afraid.. lol) and the sUAS landed butter smooth.

I know my build 784!is solid, I am now flashing the sUAS to a new update and will try again.
I ,ve ordered a tower kit from John Hennessy who is in Brisbane and had a along chat with John and the thing that impressed me was the time and effort testing the air flow and the material used and test flights He increased GPS count and with shorter times, the conciusion is to moved the GPS unit away from the elctronics and use which ever kit available for the job

Last edited:
I ,ve purchase a tower kit from John Hennessy who is in Brisbane and had a along chat with John and the thing that impressed me was the time and effort testing the air flow and the material used and test flights He increased GPS count and with shorter times, the conciusion is to moved the GPS unit away from the elctronics and use which ever kit available for the job

Yes, move that compass. Too bad it does not look pretty in a ziplock, I would have done it a while back. And I agree, it was John, who actually gave me the idea.

Reactions: Fenwick
02:00 to 03:35 is what did it for me, I now have full confidence with my TH Plus. I am familiar with this location like the back of my head, because I surveyed, mapped, inspect, and most of all "The Fields" is where I started in my career, as the sole drone operator in this grid.

Last edited:
Reactions: JackMTaco
My opinion is final, I am amazed by this mod. It’s a must!!!! For all H, Plus and 520 operators.
I have been considering buying one of these since I first saw the video on another thread. I would have bought one then, but my Plus and I are not on speaking terms lately. After reading your experience, I looked again tonight and noticed the price had gone up to $7.00, I think these are going to be a big hit and teh guy knows it. That bang you just heard was me pulling the trigger!

This has to be a seriously good mod for those in a position to perform it on their birds. Even though my Plus and I are estranged at the moment, I thought maybe if I buy her something nice as a peace offering to show her I really do care, she might like me again and we can rebuild our relationship. It's worth a shot! :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: RPR
You and I had just experienced the Yuneec in a new different level. Fairdinkum impressive it is.
RPR I read most your other post the problems with the 777 and such, and being pro drone operator your the man to follow with sorting out H+ drone.

PS other thing the your vedio was in hight wind impressive again. Fairdinkum ?

Last edited:
Reactions: RPR
I have been considering buying one of these since I first saw the video on another thread. I would have bought one then, but my Plus and I are not on speaking terms lately. After reading your experience, I looked again tonight and noticed the price had gone up to $7.00. That bang you just heard was me pulling the trigger!

This has to be a seriously good mod for those in a position to perform it on their birds. Even though my Plus and I are estranged at the moment, I thought maybe if I buy her something nice as a peace offering to show her I really do care, she might like me again and we can rebuild our relationship. It's worth a shot! :oops:

You and your TH Plus are in talking? It must be a winter thing... Lol I talk to mine all the time. Bro! I have been honest with my thoughts on here, and this mod is by far worth it.

I will do another test tomorrow and hopefully Monday (if it doesn’t rain) I can test her out in a pit that my TH Plus doesn’t like to fly in.

But the mod is worth the $7 bucks.

RPR I read most your other post the problems with the 777 and such, and being pro drone operator your the man to follow with sorting out H+ drone.

PS other thing the your vedio was in hight wind impressive again. Fairdinkum [emoji16]

My review on that build went viral on Instagram, 2 weeks after Yuneec came out with 784. I’m putting Yuneec on blast again. I’m asking if they can make a new canopy with a better compass housing. [emoji23]

Reactions: Fenwick
So if I have never gotten the compass calibration error mentioned, have never not had more than enough satellites, and the extra minute or so makes no difference to me, what do I gain by doing this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio