Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass won't calibrate

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my compass calibration. I've had the drone for about 6 months and fly it regularly.

Currently, when I turn the drone on I get a messave on the st-16 to immediately land the drone in angle mode and calibrate the compass. If I go through rhe calibration procedure, the message goes away, but, the light on the drone is solid white and the props won't turn on.

I've tried turning the drone off and restarting it. But, I get the drone recalibration message again. Prior to trying to calibrate it, the light flashes purple and orange.

I'm getting a strong GPS signal (15-16 on the drone, 9 on st-16).

The problem started when I put a new battery in it after flying for ca. 15 minutes.

One thing that I did notice is that the video I managed to shoot before the calibration problem started has a time stamp of 3:16 a.m. I shot the video between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. (not sure the exact time I started flying). It could have been as early as 11:16 (that would be in Las Vegas, Pacific Time). Could the time being off impact the calibration?

The time stamp has been out of whack with the H since day one, discard that as a possible cause. It may well be your compass has failed and needs replaced. Call Yuneec and share your experience with them.

Reactions: archybaker
Thanks for the reply. I will give Yuneec a call tomorrow. I tried to recalibrate the gimbal and accelerometer today, and that didn't work.

You'll likely be put on hold and given an estimated wait time. If the option is given for a call back from Yuneec consider taking it.

The good news is that the compass wasn't the problem. The ST-16 needed to be calibrated, which I didn't know could be done.

I haven't tried to fly it yet, but, was able to turn the drone on without getting the message that I needed to calibrate the compass. And, I was able to turn the rotors on (I had it sitting on my kitchen table, without the propellers attached, so no lift off). I wanted to write down the directions I was given for calibrating the ST-16 before I forgot them.

How to calibrate your ST-16:

(1) On your ST-16 (the Typhoon H does not need to be on to calibrate the ST-16), hit the "System Settings" button at the bottom of the main screen.

(2) On the next screen, in the lower right hand corner is a button that says "About Controller". Tap rapidly on this button. If you only tap it once, you will go to a screen that has info on the ST-16 and your Aircraft. Keep tapping it rapidly until a screen appears that has six buttons on the left side of the screen: "Enter Test"; "HW Test"; "Wifi Test"; "Calibrate Test"; "HDMI Setting"; "Firmware Upgrade"

(3) press the calibrate test button. It should take you to a screen with 7 red boxes (J1-J4, K1-K3). Make sure all your switches are in the middle setting (including the tilt control and turtle-rabbit control). Press the start button in the lower right corner of the screen.

(4a) Move the left joy stick until the J1 and J2 boxes turn green. Then move the right joystick until the J3 and J4 boxes turn green. Make sure sticks return to center.

(4b) Move the Pan Control until the K1 button turns green. Move the camera tilt control until the K2 button turns green. Move the throttle (turtle-rabbit) switch until the K3 button turns green. Make sure both sliders and Pan Control are centered.

(5) Hit next (in the lower right corner). You should now be on a screen with 20 red boxes that all say fail.

(6) Move the left joy stick around until the J1 and J2 boxes turn green. Move the right joy stick until the J3 and J4 boxes turn green.

(7) Turn the pan mode dial until the K1 box turns green. Move the camera tilt control until the K2 box turns green. Move the throttle (turtle-rabbit switch) until the K3 box turns green.

(8) the crosses on the lower right and left hand portions (next to the buttons for the video and still cameras) of the ST-16 need to be moved until the T1 to T4 boxes turn green.

(9) move the switches (Tilt mode, Pan Mode, Obs Avoidance, Mode, and Landing Gear) until the S1-S5 boxes turn green (each box corresponds to a specific switch). Make sure the number next to the box is "1"

(10) Press the start/stop button, the Aux button, and the camera buttons. The boxes labeled B1 to B4 should turn green with each button.

(11) Hit finish in the lower left hand corner of the screen. It will take you back to the first set of boxes (J1-J4 and K1-3). Hit return until you are back on the main screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fartech
Archy -
Is this what Yuneec told you to do? Or, asked another way, how did you come to determine that you needed to perform the ST 16 calibration, as described above?

So when you calibrated the ST16 pan and tilt mode along with the rabbit and turtle mode, did you leave it half way between each stop point?

All that clibration does is set the end points and centers along with making sure the switches and buttons are working correctly on the ST-16. In no way at all does this calibrate the gps.

This is mearly and end point calibration! Not a GPS Calibration!

All that clibration does is set the end points and centers along with making sure the switches and buttons are working correctly on the ST-16. In no way at all does this calibrate the gps.

This is mearly and end point calibration! Not a GPS Calibration!
There is NO GPS calibration for the Typhoon H. Only Compass, Accelerometers, and Gimbal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop