Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Considering a H for training

Reaction score
Let me introduce myself. I co-own a company called Public Safety UAS Institute. We teach Part 107 to public safety personnel who are looking to start their agencies UAS program. In the one week school the last two days are actual hands on flight by students for basic operations then we culminate to doing a actual scenario based exercise. We currently utilize Autel XSP units for they are great trainers and work great for our needs. However, Autel is suspending the XSP platform and our company is looking for another to use. We usually have several units for class so as to pair 3 students per machine. <br /><br />This brings me to the Yuneec Typhoon H system. It seems to be a good fit for training public safety and the price point where we need it.<br /><br />I have a few questions however. Currently what are the predominant glitches or issues with the H platform?<br /><br />Also, I have read that aftermarket batteries are better than OEM batteries by far and even provide longer flight times.<br /><br />I also see a dual battery charging hub on Amazon that even discharges the batteries since Yuneec batteries for the H are not intelligent batteries like those on my Inspire UAS. It also seems to dual charge in less than a hour.<br /><br />Thoughts by any of you that have been flying this platform for sometime. Thank you.

I may be able to help you with part of your question. If you are talking about the EV-Peak DY3. I have one and really like it. The batteries do charge that fast, however the charging of the ST16 seems to take forever. I have never timed it, but its at least twice as long to charge.

Reactions: PSUASI
  • The predominant glitches and issues with the Typhoon H are typically user generated. Failure to read and follow directions, improper loading of firmware, improper utilization of features, and lack of flight skills populates the general list of issues. Learning the flight skills necessary for fly a platform such as the Typhoon H would form the building blocks that would enable success in overcoming many failure scenarios with systems from other manufacturers.
  • In general, aftermarket batteries provide essentially the same amount of flight time as the factory battery when battery capacities are equal. The chemistry of lithium polymer batteries is the essentially the same for all brands of batteries of similar make up and physics does not provide a means for one battery of "X" capacity to be better that a similar battery of equal capacity.
  • Typhoon H batteries are not "intelligent" in the manner the ones for the Inspire are. They rely on the intelligence of the user to periodically check voltage level on the display screen and to comply with automated voltage warning displays to land before a battery is discharged to an unsafe level..
  • There are several excellent dual battery chargers available. Yuneec sells one named the A-10. It's made by Hitec RCD with the name X-2. Charge times are dependent upon the battery's state of discharge and the charge rate used during the charging cycle. Charging a depleted battery at a rate of 1C usually fully charges the battery in 1 hour.

1] Currently what are the predominant glitches or issues with the H platform?
2] Also, I have read that aftermarket batteries are better than OEM batteries by far and even provide longer flight times.
3] I also see a dual battery charging hub on Amazon that even discharges the batteries since Yuneec batteries for the H are not intelligent batteries like those on my Inspire UAS.

Thoughts by any of you that have been flying this platform for sometime. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, I've condensed your questions so as to answer as best I can

1] The Typhoon H; having been out for well over a year, has been pretty well sorted out. While there were some glitches in the past, most of the problems being seen at this stage are from a lack of familiarization with the aircraft and its systems and operation; possibly owing to a manual that has been seen to be lacking. In that respect I think the biggest "glitch" still remaining with the Typhoon H is - the Manual. Fortunately this forum is a wealth of information and pretty much anything you want to know about the Typhoon H (as a perspective user) has been discussed already.

2] Aftermarket Batteries - simply put, they can be cheaper for sure but; longer flight times? I've not seen that. I use an aftermarket battery brand of a higher MA rating than the stock batteries, the performance is pretty much the same. NOTE: this is a deep subject that has been talked to death so I would suggest a search of this forum. I will cut to the chase - little difference. ;)

3] I didn't know that the Inspire batteries could discharge themselves without a charger - :D On a serious note - there are quite a few aftermarket chargers that are capable of performing the duties necessary to maintain the Typhoon H batteries. There are two styles to be considered; the first is one, which is a docking type station that only accepts the Typhoon H battery and the second is a more generic type charger that requires an aftermarket charge/balance lead. While the former is neat and tidy (+), it also means all that charger will ever do is the Typhoon H battery (-). By the same token; a generic charger can charge many differing types of batteries (+), it will require you get the corresponding charge leads/adapters for those batteries (-)

Autel seems to have been a good product and a few of my friends fly them. It was a shock to find the XSP will be dropped.

I honestly don't know of any glitches with the Typhoon H that would be considered persistent or routine. As with all aircraft there are component failures but the numbers are small. Many reports of failure are later determined to be pilot error and a failure to understand the aircraft. Some owners have reported sluggish stick response which has been found to be a quick fix with some contact cleaner. One excellent feature of the ST16 is built in Hardware Monitor program. That feature allows a quick test of all switches, sliders and sticks on the controller.

In particular, I like owning an aircraft with no forced updates or any need to connect to the manufacturer online in order to fly. I don't need permission from Yuneec.

I've also found the H to be a bit quieter than my other quadcopters. The 5 rotor mode has saved the day when I broke a prop during a flight. I don't need a phone to fly or any apps to download and install. The display gives me the information I need to fly and bring the craft home. It's been stable in a variety of wind conditions. Did I mention it's also fun to fly?

I use the EV-Peak DY3 charger and it takes me 30 min to recharge. It shows each cells voltage and the storage function is great.

The current price makes the whole setup a bargain.

Thank you all for the replies. I am thinking this platform will be great for my teaching company to public safety personnel.

I will heed all advice on this unit and proceed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

I may be able to help you with part of your question. If you are talking about the EV-Peak DY3. I have one and really like it. The batteries do charge that fast, however the charging of the ST16 seems to take forever. I have never timed it, but its at least twice as long to charge.
Sure the EV-Peak DY3 is just great but it takes "more than forever" to charge the ST16, for that I stilll use the std H charger.

Am I to understand the Yuneec H has a pre-set that does not allow above 400 feet altitude and the distance from the RP is set at 300 feet? In other words, locked and does not allow the RP to unlock this pre-set and one must get it done from Yuneec through a FW install?

My business teaches the student in public safety VLOS and that most often is beyond 300 feet and we also will have towers we fly that are over 400 feet above ground level at there highest point which Part 107 allows the inspection of such at a height of 400' above the tallest point of the structure and within 400' radius of the structure itself.

So have I understood correct and prior to the H arriving what steps do I need to do to unlock this fence?

PSUASI
Not trying to start a war here over "WHAT THE FAA LAWS SAY"
The 400' guide line goes along with the 500' guide line for manned aircraft in the USA. Manned aircraft are suppose to remain at a minimum of 500' AGL unless they are landing and taking off. Crop Dusters and other such aircraft carry waivers for this.
The 400' guideline for UAV's was to allow for a minimum of 100' feet separation between Manned and Un-manned aircraft. I do most of my flying at an AMA certified field. We have a field restriction of 500'. If the AMA club has sent something to the FAA, and local airports advising them of this I do not know, it was before my time. At 400' straight over head, my 2 meter wing span glider looks like a dot, the Typhoon H even smaller.
Keep in mind, the 400' is AGL (Above Ground Level). You could be starting out on a 1000' mountain and fly 400' above that.
It is a guide line for now. Fly safe, if you see manned aircraft around, or are near an airport, I would respect the 400'.
Depending on the firmware you are using, the 400' can be overridden in the GUI. I opted not to get my part 107, rather get my pilots license renewed.
I am sure there are ways to apply for ceiling increases for inspection work.

It is my understanding that you are allowed to go 400 ft. above the item you are inspecting as long as you are within 400 ft. of it.

Am I to understand the Yuneec H has a pre-set that does not allow above 400 feet altitude and the distance from the RP is set at 300 feet? In other words, locked and does not allow the RP to unlock this pre-set and one must get it done from Yuneec through a FW install?

My business teaches the student in public safety VLOS and that most often is beyond 300 feet and we also will have towers we fly that are over 400 feet above ground level at there highest point which Part 107 allows the inspection of such at a height of 400' above the tallest point of the structure and within 400' radius of the structure itself.

So have I understood correct and prior to the H arriving what steps do I need to do to unlock this fence?

Hello. I see what you're saying here. Yes, you can go above 400 ft with the H. The system won't stop you.

I sent you a PM

Hello. I see what you're saying here. Yes, you can go above 400 ft with the H. The system won't stop you.

I sent you a PM

I can't speak for your H but mine is limited to 400' AGL.

My understanding is that to go above 400' you need to present a 107 license to Yuneec and they'll give you the firmware update to enable you to fly higher.

The flight mode switch has 3 positions. Home (returns to the controller); Angle (pilot mode); Smart (geo-fence and headless mode)
In Smart mode, which is rarely used, a geo-fence stops flights at a given distance and altitude. These are user definable using the GUI to modify H settings.
In Angle mode there is no distance limit but the default altitude is limited to 400' AGL. That is also adjustable in the GUI.

Permit me to interject. Only the b27 firmware incorporated a 400’ altitude limit that could not be changed. There was no lateral limitation that could not be changed.

All Typhoon H are delivered with geo fence limits set conservatively. Those fence limits can be changed to suit by altering the settings when the H is linked to the GUI.

The most recent firmware release, b30, allows alteration of the b27 firmware’s 400’ limit in the same manner, linking the H with the GUI.

I’m not going to enter into a regulatory discussion but we might presume Yuneec ships their products with conservative geo fence settings to limit liability. What the user does with it after receipt is personal responsibility.

In closing, the Typhoon H is a system essentially open where distance and altitude is concerned, limited only by the useful range of video transmission. It does possess some NFZ restrictions for major airports, but far, far fewer than another brand. Those that desire to have few or no NFZ restrictions can request either a recreational or commercial waiver from Yuneec and receive software that will partially or completely remove them, depending on the type of waiver software applied for.

I can't speak for your H but mine is limited to 400' AGL.

My understanding is that to go above 400' you need to present a 107 license to Yuneec and they'll give you the firmware update to enable you to fly higher.

That is what I read or thought I had read rdonson. Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, as public safety myself (state police) and having my own UAS side business as well as a separate teaching company to teach public safety their Part 107 we need this machine unlocked to do proper training and not be limited to AGL restraints or a 300 foot radius geo-fence so to speak.

We use Autel Robotics currently and do some other activities with our Inspire 1 V2.0 systems which are not locked in any way. I cannot understand why a company would lock a system when it is up to the owner to fly responsibly......I know some don't but that is why laws are in place to take care of those incidents.

How fast does Yuneec provide that FW update to unlock this barrier? The system will arrive tomorrow or the next day depending on weather and if I can get them my Part 107 certification now I can get the FW hopefully prior to our next scheduled week long class next week.

Thank you all for responding.

Permit me to interject. Only the b27 firmware incorporated a 400’ altitude limit that could not be changed. There was no lateral limitation that could not be changed.

All Typhoon H are delivered with geo fence limits set conservatively. Those fence limits can be changed to suit by altering the settings when the H is linked to the GUI.

The most recent firmware release, b30, allows alteration of the b27 firmware’s 400’ limit in the same manner, linking the H with the GUI.

I’m not going to enter into a regulatory discussion but we might presume Yuneec ships their products with conservative geo fence settings to limit liability. What the user does with it after receipt is personal responsibility.

In closing, the Typhoon H is a system essentially open where distance and altitude is concerned, limited only by the useful range of video transmission. It does possess some NFZ restrictions for major airports, but far, far fewer than another brand. Those that desire to have few or no NFZ restrictions can request either a recreational or commercial waiver from Yuneec and receive software that will partially or completely remove them, depending on the type of waiver software applied for.

This is good to know PatR about the NFZ setting.

When you guys refer to GUI what is that exactly being new to the Yuneec is this?

When you guys refer to GUI what is that exactly being new to the Yuneec is this?
Graphic User Interface is a download from www.yuneec.com. It installs on a windows pc and connects to the H using a standard USB cable. It allows you to see how the systems in the H are functioning and also test each motor individually. If there are any errors they will be displayed in the GUI.

It takes perhaps 10 minutes to change the altitude setting. I think the max is 1000 meters. It's much easier to change that setting rather than getting the firmware from Yuneec which is primarily intended for those flying near major airports.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval