Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

Counting Satellites

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Help' started by DonnieB, May 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM.

Tags:
  1. DonnieB

Just looking for opinions on minimum number of satellites do you personally require to fly using GPS?

2. Eagle's Eye Video

About 12-14 and that's on the aircraft... if it's the first time you've flown for a while let the H sit powered up, but motors off for about 15 minutes to download the current GPS almanac, as well.

#2 Eagle's Eye Video, May 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 7:25 PM
  3. PatR

I use a consistent 10 count on both the aircraft and the transmitter. However, if my intent is to fly in Angle mode I’ll often take off with only 8 on each one. As Smart mode and BLOS is never used the above covers 100% of my flights.

4. FlushVision

In my neck of the woods I consistently get 16 or more satellites showing for the aircraft and typically get 18 to 20 satellites...occasionally 21. So for me, then, I would consider anything less than 15 satellites as a no-go (I have never got less than 15 satellites so I've never had a no-go because of a lack of satellites seen).

Am I lucky? Is it because I live in a part of the world that 'sees' more satellites? I dunno. All I know is that (for my TH) I never have any problems seeing satellites...My Phantom, on the other hand, is quite another kettle of fish.

5. AH-1G

I have flown with 8 but prefer 10 or more.

6. rdonson

Where I fly most often its easy to get 14-18 sats on the H and 10-12 on the ST16. If I see less than that then I wait.

I do follow @Eagle's Eye Video recommendations although I also think that compass calibration every week or two is cheap insurance.