Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

crashed with real sense.

Fairly common condition, someone rushes out and tries to push the limits of a new drone before they’ve learned anything about it. Seeing something on YouTube does not enable the viewer as an expert. People recognizing that demonstrate they are smart enough to start learning, and do so in small steps.

When you put the H under a tree canopy and started walking through the trees it did what it was programmed to do if the forwards and sides were blocked. Next time try doing that in a rain forest with a higher canopy. It does not have upward facing sensors.

@PatR I wouldn't be too harsh on @hendrik14570 . He said he had many flights before trying the RealSense capabilities. I know my first flights with RealSense were very simple ones and they didn't all end well but I certainly felt the frustration at that time. I thought RealSense would save me from all my bad piloting. That wasn't the case. Honestly, after the newness wore off and I understood the capabilities and limitations I found I didn't use "watch me" or "follow me" modes very much. In fact, I don't think I've tried them in almost a year.

@PatR I wouldn't be too harsh on @hendrik14570 I know my first flights with RealSense were very simple ones and they didn't all end well but I certainly felt the frustration at that time. I thought RealSense would save me from all my bad piloting. That wasn't the case.

In the above we may well find the difference between success and failure.

As one that has taught fledgling UAV, RC, and full scale pilots those that always got in trouble were those that boldly went where they weren’t yet ready to go.

@PatR I wouldn't be too harsh on @hendrik14570 . He said he had many flights before trying the RealSense capabilities. I know my first flights with RealSense were very simple ones and they didn't all end well but I certainly felt the frustration at that time. I thought RealSense would save me from all my bad piloting. That wasn't the case. Honestly, after the newness wore off and I understood the capabilities and limitations I found I didn't use "watch me" or "follow me" modes very much. In fact, I don't think I've tried them in almost a year.
I have yet to use RS flying my H
However, if the time comes where obstacles are in close proximity, I will definitely try it, cautiously of course.
Hopefully I will have a good outcome.
It is kinda like the new vehicles with smart city braking. If you don’t step on the brakes for whatever reason, the computer will do it for you
Being a service technician 40 years, it’s another progression in technology
However I stress to customers exactly what the factory does... these systems are not meant to rely on. The computer depends on certain conditions for it to work and I’m sure the drone technology is much the same

All good points that I really have no answers for.

When advertised by Intel and Yuneec the fly up behavior was demonstrated In the videos. There is little documentation beyond what you see in the videos. What I get from the videos and Intel docs are the mapping capabilities and the ability to store those maps. I have no idea what Yuneec did in applying the RS capabilities in the TH beyond the videos.

There is a new version of RealSense availabile for the TH+ but no info on how it differs in capabilities or how it behaves. It seems unlikely that they’ve added more sensors.

Without RealSense the normal OBS in the TH will stop and wait for the pilot to figure out what to do when it encounters an obstacle.

FWIW I’m just a pilot like you and not in anyway associated with Yuneec other than buying their products.

I don’t think @Eagle's Eye Video meant to belittle you. Most people explore new features and capabilities in baby steps until they are comfortable that they fully understand them.

Would it be better to switch off gps when you’re in the forest so it doesn’t relying on the gps but only on the remote?
In that case satélite lost can’t tell my drone to go upwards by satellite lost but have to follow my remote?
Just a brain wave........

Would it be better to switch off gps when you’re in the forest so it doesn’t relying on the gps but only on the remote?
In that case satélite lost can’t tell my drone to go upwards by satellite lost but have to follow my remote?
Just a brain wave........

Follow Me and Watch Me modes require GPS. The ST16 has a GPS and the H does as well and that's how they keep track of each other.

If you fly without GPS you MUST have your hands on the sticks. It will NOT simply hover if you let go of the sticks with GPS turned off.

Its best to learn how to fly without GPS on an inexpensive drone first rather than learning on the H to start with. Learning flying without the advantages of the GPS, etc. with an H first doesn't always have a happy ending.

Or the Yuneec Simulator... which has a GPS off mode... but you cannot simulate "Follow Me" and it gives no simulated camera view.

Reactions: rdonson
The sim won't work on a Mac, cause there are too many extra carbs in that middle bun... :p

As one that has taught fledgling UAV, RC, and full scale pilots those that always got in trouble were those that boldly went where they weren’t yet ready to go.

100% agree. Also I think relying completely on some of the flying aids of our multi-rotors in some ways is the UAV equivalent of flying VFR into IMC - It will get you almost every time.

The Best Obstacle Avoidance System for most general UAV flying was and still is . . . . :)

Eye.jpg

Hello there.

Answers to you’re questions:
Have you flown successfully before this flight? Yes, many times

What mode were you flying in? Follow Me Mode

Was Obstacle Avoidance engaged? Yes

Was RealSense enable in the ST16? Yes

As a professional pilot I rarely will fly with 100% faith in these fail safes. I prefer to be in control of my drone the entire time, once the rth or signal loss happens you no longer have control of your aircraft to me being in control is the best way to avoid crashes, seems 99% of crashes happen during rth loss of signal, etc and not just with the yuneec so putting your 100% faith in these systems is not good flight practice, so next time I would keep gps off and fly manual anytime you are under obstructions.

[QUOTE=" so next time I would keep gps off and fly manual anytime you are under obstructions.[/QUOTE]

I would be willing to bet that 90% of pilots who tried to do that would quickly make an unintended landing, with less than the desired result. I am willing to bet there is a high percentage of pilots who have tried flying without GPS once and nearly crashed and have never tried it again and another bunch who have never tried at all.

[QUOTE=" so next time I would keep gps off and fly manual anytime you are under obstructions.
I would be willing to bet that 90% of pilots who tried to do that would quickly make an unintended landing, with less than the desired result. I am willing to bet there is a high percentage of pilots who have tried flying without GPS once and nearly crashed and have never tried it again and another bunch who have never tried at all.
Flying without GPS enabled isn't all that difficult really. Indeed, I would advocate that a pilot should at least practice it a few times so that if the GPS ceases to function during a flight (loss of satellites etc.) the pilot should be able to land safely without incident.

Indeed, as part of the CAA PfCO test, flying without the aid of GPS is a mandatory element of the test.

Last edited:
Flying without GPS should be done out in a open spot . I have 3 drones and they all fly way different without GPS . When I was flying my Q500 without gps I ended up hand catching it as it was very unstable coming in for a landing .

The Typhoon H is a very stable aircraft, although some will find it more responsive to control input than other brands. Turning off GPS does not have any impact on flight stability or control response but it does increase flight speed as turning off GPS reduces the computational load on the system. It no longer has to calculate position.

Hover altitude is only marginally affected as altitude is a function primarily handled by the baro altimeter, not the GPS. GPS does improve hover altitude a very little bit but if you have a few feet of clearance the baro altimeter is effective in holding a relatively stable altitude.

The greatest concern with fling an H with the GPS turned off is the fact the aircraft will be impacted more by wind drift. If placed in a stationary hover the H will drift in the direction the wind is blowing at the speed of the wind. If flying a straight line between two points the H will shift off course with the wind. Both of these conditions are very simple to deal with. In a stationary hover simply watch your aircraft and adjust the position as needed using normal control input. If flying a straight line just yaw the aircraft slightly into the wind to offset the wind speed and direction. This activity is one ALL RC fixed wing and helicopter pilots learn very early in their flying.

To be 100% dependent on positional stability technology is pure folly. It WILL fail and there’s no reason other than fear or laziness to crash or lose your aircraft when it does. Put a little effort into learning how to fly. Until you do you aren’t doing any flying, you’re just pushing the sticks around and the aircraft is doing the flying for you. Learn how the sub systems work, what they do, and how they do it. The more you understand the fewer mistakes you’ll make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430