Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cyber threats accused toward DJI

Reaction score
Just an interesting subject...

It’s been stated several times; DJI, a Chinese Company has been accused by Homeland Security and other Security experts as a security threat. The recent event where Security expert uncovered a method to breach DJI Servers found large amounts of personal data. Homeland Sec has expressed the collections of information that included: quote “rail systems, water systems, hazardous material storage facilities, and construction of highways, bridges, and rails”.
Is Your DJI Drone a Chinese Spy? Leaked DHS Memo Suggests

This has been minimized for sometime; after considering the geo-tagging, images, and potential collection of valuable resources within a database of targets to be sold. I’m surprised this hasn’t been in the media like similar items of less importance.

The security bug find, later to be accused of hacker didn’t ruffle much either.
Drone maker makes hacking accusations

I’m not aware of Yuneec, Parrot, Autel, FreeFly, Walkera,etc making the Homeland Security list.

Simple reason, none of them auto download all the data generated during every flight and none of them require. access to your phone or tablet. Never forget that all Chinese companies are ultimately under the control of their government, and that China and the U.S. have been in a data/information security war for over 20 years. DJI made U.S. espionage very easy for the Chinese. Worse is that some U.S. citizens sold their loyalty to DJI to better enable them.

Very True, no connection required or needed is great! Still amazing, this has been known for years and remained in the “low light” media, even scuffed at as hype.

I do have a few DJI’s for their features, although my screen & app platform are dedicated tablet or phone, neither use cellular or wireless connection when using for flights and none of my Personal Apps are installed that are on my primary devices. As close to a dedicated component of the RC as possible.

Although, they do join wireless for updates and I’m sure data is transferred at that time too. Using a “drone” alternate email account with inaccurate personal info.

It’s hard to deny the large market share and models offered by DJI that appleal to the prosumer & consumer mass. They do work nicely, get in the air quickly, simplified the battery & charging process with prepackaged smart batteries and provide the designs the consumers crave and are supported strongly in 3rd party markets. DJI has worked closely with the governing bodies to provide restricting features they approve too: NFZ, Geo Fencing, Flight logs, etc.

To add to that... Yuneec had the lead initially, but wasn’t as aggressive to expand models and slipped down the post. I’m hopefully Autel takes off, adds more models and performance.

DJI may be a wolf in sheep cloak! Maybe that’s why Customer Service is so poor... just don’t care! If there is espionage in the background, they’ve managed to poise themselves as a helpful friendly company. Which that itself casts doubt!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz