Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Damaged wire in battery compartment

Reaction score
I posted about a month ago about putting my H back into service after being parked for a couple of years.

After a lengthy process of updates, it has performed well. I am using a DY3 charger and voltage of cells in my 3 batteries are uniform.

However, as I reported in the other thread, the batteries have felt tight going in and coming out, particularly one of them. Contrary to a comment by another member in the other thread, my batteries have not been beat up. They have been handled carefully. The tightest one is a bit swollen, but not too bad according to comments from others. However, when removing a battery with difficulty yesterday I looked inside and saw that a white wire was damaged, presumably because it was being caught between the chassis and the battery when it was being put in and taken out. Sorry for the poor focusing, but the wire is not broken, the insulation is torn and the wires bent.

There seems to be nothing to hold these wires from hanging down. Is this something I should be able to fix myself? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

That's power wiring, so you have to do something - you can't leave it like that.

The bare minimum thing to do would be to wrap some electrical tape around it, which should prevent shorts or that wire touching other stuff, but it would only be a temporary fix, and I
would still be having serious doubts about flying knowing that was there.

The best thing to do about it would be to take the shell apart, and replace that entire wire. I have never done this myself, but have seen videos where other people do, and there are some very well experienced people who can jump in here and advise more thoroughly on that than I can...

I agree I think it should be fixedI agree I think it should be fixed properly. Such as being replaced.
I know the wires are tiny and if they have to be soldered, it is a very delicate operation.please fix it properly I have had enough of my own crashes for one reason or another we don't need another one.
Keith Kuhn

A better image might tell us if the wire should be replaced or if it could be separated from an end connection to install some heat shrink tubing over the damaged area before re-soldering to the connection point. Damaged insulation can be remedied relatively easily. Damaged wire should be replaced.

Thanks. I'll certainly repair it before flying again. I've never taken the shell off but it doesn't look difficult, though I would need to find out what sort of head that is on the screws. My biggest concern is the dexterity of my old fat fingers aren't what they used to be and I may just pay an electronics repair place to fix it for me (I called one that's not too far from here .... they have 4 drones on the bench ahead of mine so it seems that they have some experience, at least.) I just got a better look with a magnifying glass and 4 of the wire strands are broken. I don't know if they broke when I last removed the battery or before my last flight. Even if I remove the shell it appears that these wires sit below a board that would be in the way. I don't understand why these wires aren't held up somehow to keep them from dropping down to the battery compartment.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
A better image might tell us if the wire should be replaced or if it could be separated from an end connection to install some heat shrink tubing over the damaged area before re-soldering to the connection point. Damaged insulation can be remedied relatively easily. Damaged wire should be replaced.

It would be nice if he could get some small heat shrink

To open up the H doesn’t need to be a brainsurgery.
I did it when My battery wasn’t clicking to the bottom.
I found out that the silicone frame around the powerboard just under the battery contacts were loose and that there might be a problem with power loss. So I glued it in place again with silicone. It took about an hour then I could fly it again.

Attachments

• 2DAAC629-264D-48B9-A774-A27332DD9A42.jpeg
    2DAAC629-264D-48B9-A774-A27332DD9A42.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 18
  • C3575987-3C62-4F2D-A744-7571A6AA269E.jpeg
    C3575987-3C62-4F2D-A744-7571A6AA269E.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 17
  • D7BCE9F9-9F3B-4B2F-A904-5CDD069FE9D8.jpeg
    D7BCE9F9-9F3B-4B2F-A904-5CDD069FE9D8.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 1DBF0AF0-55BF-4449-91CC-1570C994D9DD.jpeg
    1DBF0AF0-55BF-4449-91CC-1570C994D9DD.jpeg