Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Difference between manual mode and indoor mode

The indoor mode is supposed to turn off all satellite positioning systems. Now, the question that arises is, what is the difference between flying in manual mode and in indoor mode?

I have searched the latest version of the published manual and no information is available.

Manual mode is for flying manually outdoors and still uses GPS in the background and records your HP for RTL. Indoor mode does not.

So that, can't I fly with manual mode in indoors?
Sure you can, at your own risk. Many places that are indoors still get GPS signal, but they can't be trusted for accuracy. So there is a risk if you lose contact with the drone that it thinks it has a position to RTL. It climbs (or tries to climb) to your pre-set RTL altitude and tries to get to whatever position it thinks you took off from. If you lose signal and are in indoor mode, it simply lands where it is.

In short, the difference is that even in manual mode, the H520 takes into account the coordinates of the home page and in case of problems undertakes a RTL. In indoor mode this does not happen because it does not take into account the global positioning data at all. I believe it is necessary and welcome.

I haven't tried, but in case of loss of signal from the transmitter I guess the behavior will be to stay stationary in the same position, won't it? And when the battery runs out, land in the position it's in?

i Flew it once indoors for a commercial for a drs office... after pleading with the director not to do so he told me it was a must to showcase the beautiful waiting space... well after the magazines flew all over the place and dust was kicked all over the place ruining the shot a picture came off the wall and crashed to the floor. .... I took a short video showing this now disaster of a waiting room showcasing the lite fireplace from a elevated shot.(that I could have got with a dslr standing on a chair)..long story short even in a big space with lots of room the h520 is a little to big to be indoors... this waiting room was approx 50x50 with 25 foot ceilings. ( believe it or not the cropped the shot of the fireplace and used the footage)

And to stay on topic pilots on here are confusing manual mode with other manual modes.....manual mode on a yuneec is equivalent to atti mode on other birds...we don’t not have a true manual mode unless you hack the flight controller... being a fpv racer I am used to full manual controls ( but I think I would wreck the aircraft do to its lack of propulsion) in atti mode the only thing that changes is that the a/c does not lock on to a gps point ( it sets take off ,and home point, altitude,even logs you flight data, landing point etc.) the change is the UAV won’t fix on a gps point. So the UAV will “float in the breeze” makes for taking nice smooth video if you use the wind to your advantage. I am not sure what happens if the UAV reaches a geofence or a distance limit if the drone will stop at that point in manual mode...( I’ll give it a test next time I take it up).

Reactions: arruntus
And to stay on topic pilots on here are confusing manual mode with other manual modes.....manual mode on a yuneec is equivalent to atti mode on other birds...we don’t not have a true manual mode unless you hack the flight controller... being a fpv racer I am used to full manual controls ( but I think I would wreck the aircraft do to its lack of propulsion) in atti mode the only thing that changes is that the a/c does not lock on to a gps point ( it sets take off ,and home point, altitude,even logs you flight data, landing point etc.) the change is the UAV won’t fix on a gps point. So the UAV will “float in the breeze” makes for taking nice smooth video if you use the wind to your advantage. I am not sure what happens if the UAV reaches a geofence or a distance limit if the drone will stop at that point in manual mode...( I’ll give it a test next time I take it up).

That's a very good question. I had always thought that the manual mode was that, manual, without any GPS assistance. But it doesn't look like it. The approach is not bad if it is now accompanied by the inndor mode and that way you have the 3 possibilities.

So, if I understand you ... With manual mode RTL still works, with indoor-mode not ?

So, if I understand you ... With manual mode RTL still works, with indoor-mode not ?
That is correct. GPS is still being monitored and can be activated at anytime, but not used while in manual mode unless RTL is triggered or switched to another mode that uses GPS.

Has INDOOR mode been removed or am I mixing up my terms. This is directly from the 3/11/2019 H520 manual (color applied for emphasis by me):

"
MANUAL FLIGHT MODE
Manual Flight mode is selected either by flipping switch S4 to the top position or tapping the flight mode
soft key on the DataPilot™ home screen. Manual Flight mode disables all GPS on the H520, however
altitude is maintained using barometric sensors. Manual Flight mode enables the Pilot to fly in GPS-denied
environments such as indoors or under/around obstacles. Manual Flight mode will not prevent drifting
during maneuvers, hence the Pilot is required to apply opposite stick input to stop drift. Manual flight Mode
is indicated on the H520 by the yellow LEDs on the two rear motor arms.
"

Reactions: AH-1G
Has INDOOR mode been removed or am I mixing up my terms. This is directly from the 3/11/2019 H520 manual (color applied for emphasis by me):

"
MANUAL FLIGHT MODE
Manual Flight mode is selected either by flipping switch S4 to the top position or tapping the flight mode
soft key on the DataPilot™ home screen. Manual Flight mode disables all GPS on the H520, however
altitude is maintained using barometric sensors. Manual Flight mode enables the Pilot to fly in GPS-denied
environments such as indoors or under/around obstacles. Manual Flight mode will not prevent drifting
during maneuvers, hence the Pilot is required to apply opposite stick input to stop drift. Manual flight Mode
is indicated on the H520 by the yellow LEDs on the two rear motor arms.
"
After the full update, I still can see the option "Enable Indoor Flight Mode" under settings -> Vehicle

Reactions: BigAl07
After the full update, I still can see the option "Enable Indoor Flight Mode" under settings -> Vehicle

I'll dig into it later on this evening and report back. I'm still on version 1.5.10 (not the latest one yet).

Indoor mode is specific to flying indoors with the reason being that GPS is not used at all. Manual mode will fly and behave exactly as indoor mode but if you are outdoors use manual. The difference is that Manual will still record a HomePoint and you will still be able to use RTL as needed. I actually prefer flying in manual mode as it is much smoother to fly.

Reactions: BigAl07

You are CORRECT!! I didn't try it as my living room is not exactly H520 friendly but I found it exactly as you had suggested. Thank you :)

Reactions: X-Fly
With new update It's impossible to takeoff without recorded GPS home position even in manual mode. Only switching to indoor allows to takeoff / motors start without GPS signal.

Hi - regarding the indoor mode. I see from the information given the GPS position is not used. Because of this, does anyone know if there are any limitations placed on the unit if using indoor mode such as operating range ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss